Honda missing...

Motor discussion
Merlin

Honda missing...

Post by Merlin »

Hi all,

Been out fishing a bunch. Water is up close to 80 degrees now and crystal clear. Football tuna are running up to about 15 pounds - hoping the larger grade show up soon. Got busted off on a nice hoo the other day, too! Teach me to run without wire when I'm out that way.

Anyways, my Honda 130 is acting up and I was wondering if anyone has run into these symptoms. It runs great but after a long idle (fish on) when I shift it into gear it stalls. It starts right up afterwards. I gave her a full tune up and changed the fuel filter(s) but that didn't help. I think there is a high-pressure fuel filter but I'm not sure how to clean or change it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Does it die as soon as you drop it back into gear or when you actually start opening the throttle after it has gone into gear?

After a long idle can you rev it up out of gear without it dying?

After you restart it is everything back to normal or does it stumble a bit?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Go to the Trade Wind Inflatables banner over on the right side >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>of the page.

Contact Kenny he is a Honda dealer. He is also a member here , TWI MARINE , pm him for an answer or maybe he can get you a Manual for you motor.

I think there are some 130 owners here and they should be by soon.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

My usual MO is to click her into gear and then throttle up gently. After a long idle when I slide her into gear she stalls. If I give her some gas she will stumble a little and then take off. It's not optimum but it's working ok.

If she stalls and I restart - she always starts right up - she will still stumble when I shift into gear and I have to gas her good before she stalls. Also, she will rev up fine if I leave her in neutral so it's only under load that she stalls.

Bulb has fuel in it. Fuel line appears to be solid. There's no water or debris in the racor filter.

Thanks for any insight.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That is a carbed motor - right? I can't remember if they built injected 130's. Anyway, probably some gunk plugging up one or more low speed carb jets. A strong dose of Seafoam in your tank might straighten it out but more likely you will have to do a proper carb remove/clean. Its not a bad job for a DIY.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

No, it's an EFI system. The motor has 1,100 hours on it. I've owned her for a year and a half and I've put 200 hours on her. She runs great at cruise, smooth and quiet. Efficient, too. We fished the other day for five hours and used up 10 gallons.

I know it's something simple - just gotta find it.
Grayfisher

honda 130

Post by Grayfisher »

I had two Honda 130's on my last boat, and they did something similar, but also idled rough. I added some Chevron fuel injector cleaner to the gas, and it cleared it up.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I got lucky and found some STP fuel injection cleaner at the local tienda - I'll give it a try, thanks!
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Ran out again yesterday to fish and try out the injector cleaner. Sad to say it didn't help. Boat runs good but that stalling is pinching me up - I hate having problems 20 miles offshore.

Any other thoughts???

Fishing was great, though. Check the other section for my report.
Grayfisher

Post by Grayfisher »

Before giving up on the fouled injector theory, make sure you have put the proper ratio of cleaner to fuel--cleaner is sold to add to 20 gal, so if you have 100 gal fuiel, you have to add 5 bottles.
calstabi

Post by calstabi »

What Grayfisher said is my vote......I have a 200hp honda....

You need a shock treatment against carbon build up, the hot item is
Yamaha's ring free.

Its expensive, but goes like 1 oz to 10 gallons.....I would double that for shock treatment.

Just change your oil after you run out this completed shock treatment.....
the shock treatment makes your current batch of oil rise (get thicker?) and its important to change this oil.

Welder..............thats info straight from the Trade Winds mouth.....
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thanks a lot for the input. I mixed one bottle with twenty gallons. I'll see if I can get someone to bring me some ring-free and try that next.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Cal, that is correct, Trade winds great place to do buss.

Merlin, don't mix the Ringfree in your big tank for a SHOCK treatment, use a 6 gallon can to shock it and just follow the directions on the bottle, its a piece of cake.
Also you might want to post on Bloodydecks to see if anyone is coming down your way to bring you some and maybe a few extra oil filters.

It is VERY important to change your oil after the shock treatment. :wink:
Lester,
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thanks, Welder. I've got a buddy coming down in a week or so - I think he'll bring it for me. I'll run a shock treatment with an extra tank I have and then change the oil and filter.

Any danger running it the way it is until then?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thought I would pass this along. We had some motorcycle guys show up in town this week and one of the guys was a motor-head. Super cool guy named Adam. Anyway, I mentioned the missing Honda outboard and described the symptoms and he goes, "I know exactly what it is". He came over the next day and pulled out this little solenoid switch that controls air flow while the motor is at idle. The thing has a little screen in it and it was all clogged up. Cleaned it up, put it back on, and she is good to go - running perfectly! She hasn't stalled once since.

How stoked am I!!!
85MonarkVC

Post by 85MonarkVC »

I would keep that guy's phone number! Glad your Honda is running good.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Merlin , you lucky bugger .

Still wouldn't hurt to fun some ringfree to keep the carbon build up down to a minimun.

Oh yeah , you did buy that guy a beer , yea.
Lester,
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Lucky, you know it! A beer??? I told him he could have a turn with my wife!!!

All kidding aside, I am pretty stoked. As it turns out I'm on my way to SD tomorrow so I'll pick up the ring free and more tune-up stuff for the boat while I'm there. She is running really well but it's always good to have extra parts hangin' around.
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Merlin,
Glad you got it running good again :P

Thank you for getting back on what was causing the miss and the cure. I'm sure it will help someone else one day :wink:

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic