Volvo Penta D3

Motor discussion
zumpen
Donator '08, "09, "10, '"11

Volvo Penta D3

Post by zumpen »

Hi.

Here is a real Swedish power-plant, Volvo Penta D3. 5-cylinder diesel, up to 190 HP, and high torque from low rev. Duo-prop option. Very fuel-efficient. (I have the same engine in my car, a Volvo XC70 D5 2006, average fuel consumption is 6 litres/ 100 km (~45MPG?), 185HP 400Nm)

/zumpen

amfboats
Sponsor

Post by amfboats »

Double Post
Last edited by amfboats on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
amfboats
Sponsor

Post by amfboats »

Here is a D3 160 DP we set up in this 660 Vee Berth Cabin. We have also put a D3 190 DP in 660 Hardtop Cabin Both are very impressive.

zumpen

Post by zumpen »

amfboats wrote:Here is a D3 160 DP we set up in this 660 Vee Berth Cabin. We have also put a D3 190 DP in 660 Hardtop Cabin Both are very impressive.
Hi Bevan.

Wow, you've got one amazing boat here!

"Both are very impressive". Thanks, this is good to hear. I'll keep your boats in mind, when I prepare the engine assembly line for new projects. :D

/zumpen
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Zumpen,

Do you work for Volvo Penta?

I currently have a boat on order for Chrismas delivery that will have a single 370HP D6 in it. It was a tough choice, and I am still nervous that I made the right one. The other option was twin outboards where I get redundancy, but also less mileage and more things to maintain and repair. The D6 has such a great reputation, I am hoping I will go for thousands of hours with no major failures. I am one that does a lot of proactive maintainence, so this seems possible. Is there anything special to watch out for with a D6?

Jim
Jim

zumpen

Post by zumpen »

jrogers wrote:Zumpen,

Do you work for Volvo Penta?

I currently have a boat on order for Chrismas delivery that will have a single 370HP D6 in it. It was a tough choice, and I am still nervous that I made the right one. The other option was twin outboards where I get redundancy, but also less mileage and more things to maintain and repair. The D6 has such a great reputation, I am hoping I will go for thousands of hours with no major failures. I am one that does a lot of proactive maintainence, so this seems possible. Is there anything special to watch out for with a D6?

Jim
Hi Jim.

Sorry, I don't work for Volvo Penta. I work for Volvo Cars, and we are "only" supplying the D3 base engine for Volvo Penta. So I don't know that much about the D6. But based on Volvo Pentas reputation, I think you have made a good choice in the D6. But I will ask the plant manager for Volvo Penta about the D6, he is coming to visit me in a couple of weeks. :D

I can only speak for the D3, and that is one of the thoughest small diesel engines I have seen, ever. HP, torque, emission levels and fuel efficiency are outstanding.

/zumpen
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Re: Volvo Penta D3

Post by IN2DEEP »

zumpen & Bevan,

I saw a post on another site asking about this D-3 set-up instead of a D-4.
The person asking was impressed with the weight savings and a decent
amount of torque but not close to the heavier D-4.
The boat builder has been researching, but has yet to install one in one of his builds.
He has some concerns with the set-up and I was wondering if either one of you feel the same?

Builder: "The D3 is a converted taxi engine used in Europe for years with great success. It is not a purpose built product that is easily repaired in the boat. Some of the sensors are going to be harder that normal to access along with some other items. If for some reason something goes wrong inside the chances are you will need to get a whole new engine. The chances for a successful rebuild are not good."
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/View ... c_ID=96286

I have total respect for his knowledge and his ability to explain and pass along his knowledge when he speaks... not to mention that he builds one hell of a boat. even though it's FG :nutkick:

I was wondering about the accessibility to the filters, sensors and oil changes not so much about rebuilding one, but that is definitely something to keep in mind for the U.S.A. consumers.

Thank you,
Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
zumpen

Post by zumpen »

IN2DEEP wrote:zumpen & Bevan,

I saw a post on another site asking about this D-3 set-up instead of a D-4.
The person asking was impressed with the weight savings and a decent
amount of torque but not close to the heavier D-4.
The boat builder has been researching, but has yet to install one in one of his builds.
He has some concerns with the set-up and I was wondering if either one of you feel the same?

Builder: "The D3 is a converted taxi engine used in Europe for years with great success. It is not a purpose built product that is easily repaired in the boat. Some of the sensors are going to be harder that normal to access along with some other items. If for some reason something goes wrong inside the chances are you will need to get a whole new engine. The chances for a successful rebuild are not good."
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/View ... c_ID=96286

I have total respect for his knowledge and his ability to explain and pass along his knowledge when he speaks... not to mention that he builds one hell of a boat. even though it's FG :nutkick:

I was wondering about the accessibility to the filters, sensors and oil changes not so much about rebuilding one, but that is definitely something to keep in mind for the U.S.A. consumers.

Thank you,
Scott
Hi Scott.

I don´t think you could get a better 190 hp IB, than the D3. It has been in production for about ten years now, and it´s a very robust and well proven design. Just as you pointed out in your posting, it´s very popular for Volvo taxi cars in Europe. If you drive a taxi for a living, you don´t want an engine that will break down. I think the same applies when you are depending on your engine to get back to the harbour.

I drove my XC70 (with the same type of engine) 56000 miles in 3 years, no troubles at all.

/zumpen
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

zumpen,
Thank you for your response.
The concern wasn't with the reliability of the motor, rather the accessibility of the filters and sensors, etc. when installed down in a boat's motor well.
Since it was originally designed for an automobile which has access from below, the builder was concerned that servicing and maintenance may be an issue.

Bevan may have some input on this since they have installed some on their boats.

Thanks,
Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
zumpen

Post by zumpen »

Hi Scott.

Sorry if I missunderstood your questions....

The only issue when it comes to maintenance could be draining the oil? But isn't it custom to use a pump, to suck the oil out?

If you look closely to the pictures in the thread, you can see fuel and air-filters in my pic #1, oil filter is located facing up, in Bevan's pic #6, visible below green and black U-shaped hoses.

The sensors you don´t maintain. The only hard-to-reach sensor on the engine is the flywheel sensor (located between engine and stern drive unit), but it's easy to change anyway, loosen small nut, pull out, replace, tighten. I also think you have a "limp-home" function from the camshaft sensor, if the flywheel sensor is malfunctioning.

If (God forbid!) you have a major break-down, you pull the engine out anyway?

I hope Bevan can give you more details on the maintenance issues.

/zumpen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic