peterbo3
Contributor

WIRING A NEW OR USED BOAT

Post by peterbo3 »

OK, who could/ would wire up a new rig or rewire a used boat to:

1. Save some $$$$$$

2. Ensure the job is done right

3. Upgrade their skills

Or, get raped by a dealer/mechanic who pays the guy who actually does the work the minimum wage but hits you up bigtime. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I have a friend that wires boats so un-believably but charges top dollar too.....that I know I can't afford him.

He also wires U.S. Navy Submarines, the ultimate in tight places under serious srutiny and inspection, and guidlines......for a living as a contractor. :shock:

The average small center console with that birds nest most boats have straight from the factory, based on how easy it is to get in there and do a REAL re-wire job, is usually is about $1,200 to $1,500 with materials.

So, if I had too. I'd have to be just like You, Pete. And do it myself, save, and learn. And hopefully over a few beers, I could get a few pointers from him....if I was buying! :roll:
coast2coast

Post by coast2coast »

I'm wiring the electronics on my new boat for several of reasons.

First, I was planning to have it wired at the dealer in Seattle, but then we found a way to get the boat brought to Virginia that would save over 60% of what we expected the cost to be, but we had to ship it right away to get the savings, so there was no time to do it in Seattle.

Second, I found that some of the equipment I wanted to install was not yet available (new to the market) so by doing it myself I could install it as it became available, essentially spreading the cost over time. I'm getting the essentials in place now, will add the other stuff later.

Third, if something goes wrong down the line I'll know exactly how it was installed, so I'll be able to find the problem and fix it myself. This process of running wires also forces me to take apart parts of the boat, so I get familiar with where and how the factory equipment was installed as well.

Fourth, It's a LOT cheaper!
Regards,
John
Harbercraft Kingfisher 2725
Tracker Targa 18

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Wiring is actually fun IMHO :D

I'm about to attempt the NMEA 0183 for my CP/Radar/VHF/ Yamaha FM

Should be a blast 8)
NUKE

I agree

Post by NUKE »

I agree with you that its going to give you the most information about your boat and it's systems . Even if you don't have all the skills required to get the job done in A1 fashion ,get the best installer and work with them. I think it'll still be less expensive than just giving it to some one and leaving them to do what they will and charge accordingly.
You mentioned that you got a deal on tranport that was time dependent. Did someone transport a boat from the East Coast that sold at the show and they had room for yours on the trip back East ? What does it cost about from Seattle to the East Coast with out a deal ?
The pictures of your boat are Terrific .That will be the " BIG ALUMINUM BOAT " around the Chessie this year. thanks for showing us first !
NUKE
coast2coast

Post by coast2coast »

Actually I was able to find a guy who trailered it from Seattle to Virginia. It turns out he and his wife and 3 kids, who they home school, were on the way from Seattle to Florida anyway, and my fee paid them for the trip. He is a real licensed transport with insurance and a DOT number (i checked and got his certificate of insurance!), but he uses boat hauling to offset his expenses of going back an forth several times a year - he has boats in Washington and Florida. I was getting quotes from regular transports in the $4500 to $6000 range, he did it for $2000, but it had to be done on his schedule, and for cash. I figured it would cost me $2500 in gas and expenses (over 3000 miles) if I hauled it back myself, plus I would have had to take the better part of a week off work, so for me it was a no brainer deal. The only real downside was that the boat was pretty dirty and had some stone chips in the paint from the ride. If it was NON ALLOY I would have really been upset, but for alloy it just adds some character!
Regards,
John
Harbercraft Kingfisher 2725
Tracker Targa 18

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

:arrow: WOW.... :shock:
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

coast2coast wrote:Actually I was able to find a guy who trailered it from Seattle to Virginia. It turns out he and his wife and 3 kids, who they home school, were on the way from Seattle to Florida anyway, and my fee paid them for the trip. He is a real licensed transport with insurance and a DOT number (i checked and got his certificate of insurance!), but he uses boat hauling to offset his expenses of going back an forth several times a year - he has boats in Washington and Florida. I was getting quotes from regular transports in the $4500 to $6000 range, he did it for $2000, but it had to be done on his schedule, and for cash. I figured it would cost me $2500 in gas and expenses (over 3000 miles) if I hauled it back myself, plus I would have had to take the better part of a week off work, so for me it was a no brainer deal. The only real downside was that the boat was pretty dirty and had some stone chips in the paint from the ride. If it was NON ALLOY I would have really been upset, but for alloy it just adds some character!

That was a great price indeed .but if he was insured I wouldn't hesitate to put in a claim for the damage incurred during transport .thats what its for . Plus it will build his characture ! :roll:
NUKE
john@boe
Sponsor

Post by john@boe »

I install marine electronics for a living and I can help anyone who has questions. I would suggest to anyone who is going to do their own installs , manuals, manuals, manuals. Even me having been formally trained in garmin, raymarine, lowrance and other units still use the manuals for my installations.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, what would be your pick for switches on the dash of a Salt water CC ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Were in trouble now. When the creator and adminstrator has problems with multiple postings. From what I have seen of Peterbo's wiring job he has handled it quite well.

Cheers

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Lester stutters every now and then. :D

John, in addition to Lester's question - what is your recommended dielectric for spade connections in saltwater applications? We're not sure if Lester is need of new switches or not, but we do know we need to clean & protect his existing connectors.

Thanks!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Who stutters , I dddddd doe doe doe doe don't stutter..........
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic