Firing 1623 Radar
Yamaha FM
Standard DC Radio

Here's what I want to do:

CAP/FF to Radar
Radar to CAP/FF
CAP/FF to Radio (DC)
CAP/FF to FM (GPSS Speed)

ST of many questions. This is all new to me.

It appears all the grounds will be common. Does this mean I can tie all of them together on a terminal strip? or will they somehow interfere with each other?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Thanks,
There will be more to come........
capeannfisherman

electronics network

Post by capeannfisherman »

John how many inputs on the back of your chart plotter? Does it have inputs for radar, fish finder, and a couple extra that can be used for video or other inputs?
Adrian
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Adrian, yes it has 3 in & 3 out I believe. This is only going by the manual. The boat & electronics are in RI.
capeannfisherman

network

Todays displays(chartplotter) usually have an input for the GPS , one for the radar, and one for the FF, and some have extra inputs for video. Here is the catch,most all have to be by the same manufacturer, or at least use the same interface.
Mine has all 5 inputs and the display is the cpu/display, the gps module is inside the round antenna on the roof, same with radar, the FF comes as an extra module with tranducer on one end and interface cable to the display on the other end. This allows you to overlay your radar on your gps chart get gps locations from a boat fishing 12miles or more away. I don't have any of that setup yet but I have seen it set up on Lady Diane and I'm some of the guys here have it all and can tell you more.
Adrian
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Well the CP to VHF works, and the CP to FM works. Last thing to work on is the CP to Radar.........
capeannfisherman

Did you get the CP to the radar to work? If you did please share how
Adrian
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Might tinker today with that Adrian. Just in from RI
capeannfisherman

I think I'm getting it. Before everything had to be from the same manufacturer , now as long as the component uses NMEA 0183 standards for the output you can use it on any chartplotter that accepts NMEA 0183. Just like I can plug in any manufactures devices into my PC if they have a USB connection. Am I getting close?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Right on Adrian.......with a few quirks. "This is suppose to do this" and "That is suppose to do that" type thing. The big problem is all the differnt color wires. Each mfg. use something different it seems.
capeannfisherman

A little more research showed that garmin and a few others also add some proprietery software code to there connections.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

alright the CP is outputting to the radar but now after numerous emails to Furuno they are telling me I need a combiner to send a target signal to the CP screen.

What the hell is a combiner??
john@boe
Sponsor

Post by john@boe »

hey guys I have been working a lot with nmea and I can tell you that when interfacing two units together you must look at both manuals. which you can get online for the most part. In the manual it will tell about transmit and recieve you or input and output wires. all you have to do is put positive input to positive outputs. and negative inputs to negative outputs . transmit and output are the same thing. and recive and input are the same. different companies use different names in there manuals
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Thanks, What's not clear in any manuals I've read is that after interfacing what you can expect to gain on either unit????? You can hook everything together however I'm not looking for my Lon/Lat & speed to show on every instrument. That's the gray area..............when I hook my furuno radar to my CP1000 what can I expect????? Everyone has a different answer including SH & furuno, but all I get is What I've mentioned......
capeannfisherman

Software is next. After all the hardware is connected and operating -what works on what will be determined by what software is installed. All the software may already be installed, but maybe not. Need to get on the phone with a good tech from the company while sitting in your boat and tell him what you want. That's what worked foor me.
Adrian
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic