Transducers and Alloy/whats best thru-hull or transom?

Electrical/Electronics discussion
doc

Transducers and Alloy/whats best thru-hull or transom?

Post by doc »

I just joined this great forum,courtesy of NightHawk. Thanks Rog. I'll be brief.I really loathe cutting holes in the bottom of my tincan. so what do you guys think, transom mount or thru-hull for 1 kw 50/200hz.transducers. I know thru-hulls gives the best shot.But its been rumored as well as fabricated and tested by enterprising sorts(commercial fishermen) airmar type thru-hulls 1-2 kw.mounted to custom stainless brackets then mounted on the transom. outboard powered aluminum skiffs and pilothouse rigs. There it is,all input/feedback will be humbly appeciated Specifically this transducer is for the furuno BBF1 sounder NavNet2 Thanks in advance.
2th8k.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Personally I don't have a clue of the difference between this and a bracket for a Thr-hull transducer :?: They're doing the same exact thing.

I have this mount, with a transom 'ducer. Works fine, isn't a bracket just a bracket?

This is a topic getting alot of talk.

Then there's this Austrailian built hull....his is built into the boat in it's own pipe inbetween the Ballast tubes he has in his boat:

Then again, there's this type mount for a thru-hull.....
Which is again....a Bracket.

Here's the thread. Take a look, please,
viewtopic.php?t=19&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/img]
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure I understand the aversion to drilling a hole in an aluminum boat for a thru-hull transducer. Unlike a cored glass boat there is nothing to rot and if the location doesn't work out you just weld it up and put a new hole somewhere else.

That said, the problem as I see it is having that big 1k unit creating drag under the boat if mounted as designed which is why folks like to install them on a custom bracket on the transom because you can get them hidden somewhat behind the transom so they don't drag as much.

When I first rigged Roger's boat (I was the previous owner) that is what I did with the huge Airmar unit. Problem was the readings were lousy because at that point there was too much turbulence and those big ducers aren't shaped properly for fast hulls IMO.

If you look in the small hatch just in front of the starboard engine you'll see this can welded in that holds the ducer. This solved the problem and was not that difficult to do. The ducer is in clean water and only the bottom 1/4" sticks out.

All that said the way I'm going to go when I finish rigging my 25 LaConner is one of the big tilted element Airmars with the SS case. Yes, it requires a big hole but so what?

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Southshore Marine Service

Post by Southshore Marine Service »

Here is one I did on a 36' center console awhile back.

Southshore Marine Services, LLC
Marine Electronics Sales & Installation
www.southshoremarineservices.com
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Wow! lets see the rest of the boat . . .
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Chaps wrote:Wow! lets see the rest of the boat . . .
CHAPS, your a mind reader!

The La. boys can shake a leg just as well as the Washington crowd when it comes to big mean metal boats....

I never understood that. 2 states away from Florida and they have alloy boats all over. But here, the dumb azz'z think my boats from Mars.

TWO STATES AWAY!! They get it, and here they don't. Has Miami's "look at me" attitude leaked into all of Florida?

Greg P

Post by Greg P »

That is one hell of a boat - what is it ? Gravois?

Any specs or running shots

Cheers

Greg
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

OMG that is unbelievable - wowza!

Its a Leblanc Brothers 36' that is built like a tank! We had it up at 54mph with first set of props. I never went on the next seatrial when they needed to lower the motors and wanted more prop.

The center console has stereo head, all battery switches, 2nd vhf with ram mic, master breakers, etc..

Boat has a 680g fuel tank. Rear compartment houses 8 deepcycles and still has room to crawl with power steering setup. We got up with 2 motors. Can stay on plane with one but can't get up with one.

Has Led light tube underneath gunnel, lockers, etc.. Has 8 flashing yellow led strobes flush on the sides of the t top.

Boat was bare bones when I got ahold of it. Very long project that I enjoyed very much. Everything is pretty much custom from the switch panel which is stainless I had cut and switch names etched in to the steering wheel with initials.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Do you mean the LeBlanc boat shop up in Canada or is it a local outfit to you?

It would be cool if you could post up the photos and info about the boat in the "Boat show pictures" forum as it deserves a write-up in a spot where more people would see it and we could give Doc back his thread.
NUKE

W O W

Post by NUKE »

W O W Z E R S that is a big yellow boat :shock: [/b]
NUKE
doc

Post by doc »

Thanks for all the input, seems all the pertinent issues were addressed especially turblence from the size of the B260(furunos/airmar #number);corrosion from disimilar metals i.e.brass,stainless,aluminum(professional style isolation). However I did notice the difference in the apparent deadrise angle at the transom on the southern boats (jettywolf, and the trimoto yello-fello) both transom mounted. And the comments and text of Chaps response indicated the deeper V produced more sounder noise with the trans. mounted. unit. However,being a diy type with no welding skills I'll have to ponder a bit longer before deciding to switch. currently running the P66 triducer,but got a good deal from Johnson and Hicks in Sant Cruz on the tru-hull.
2th8k.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Awesome boat!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic