Electronics questions.

Electrical/Electronics discussion
Kelper

Electronics questions.

Post by Kelper »

I was digging through my boats wiring yesterday as I was running wires for downriggers and I noticed a few things that I wanted to ask you guys about.

First is corrosion. How common is it on Alloys? I'm seeing a good amount of corrosion on my key switch terminals and switch panel. I'm also seeing some "bubbling" of the paint on my T-Top around stainless fasteners. I used to work on Jayhawk Helicopters in the Coast Guard and we had the phrase "corrosion, the silent killer". How are your boats holding up in a saltwater environment? How do you combat it? I keep my skiff in the water 200ish days a year at the local harbor, and the harbor is "hot".

Next, I have the very basics on my skiff right now. The only things I've added since I got it several years ago is a fish finder/gps combo and electric downriggers which I am getting ready to wire in permanently. I'm also wanting to add a windshield wiper motor, washdown pump, radio, and a few other things. Anything else you guys have on your boats that you recommend? I'm also thinking of having two batteries as the electric downriggers can be a drain after a long day of fishing. Should I put a battery switch on? Would that help with the corrosion?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Electrical current, Alloy, & Saltwater can be a lethal combo if not properly maintained.

I use Die-Electric grease on my electrical connections where the terminal meets the SS screw for corrosion.......

Just added (2) AGM batteries........man am I in love!!!

A switch is always a plus..........it would kill current while the boat sits. Can't hurt...........

My2cents.
AT
fishontop

Post by fishontop »

I agree with the switch. I wouldn't be w/out one and love the ability to shut everything down. I am a novice myself to the new world of electrolosis and aluminum baots, but I also have the bubling paint problem on my center console that I will have to deal with. Sorry I dont have more for you. For starters I think we need to make sure we have good zinks and everything is grounded correctly.
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Kelper,

You know the deal, just treat like we did on the helo's. Your going to have to pull those fasteners and coat them with something. As far as terminals, remember all the corrosion sprays we used to use, well I've been soaking my new engine the same way. The wiring on my boat is 10 years old, so it needs redone, and I don't spray that like I should.

Oh, I've been using commercial products, not uncle sams.
Brian
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

I've been pulling, scrubbing, and coating. What a pain in the butt!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Kelper wrote:I've been pulling, scrubbing, and coating. What a pain in the butt!
I'm feeling the pain bro. I'm going over my boat with a microscope (well almost) and finding all sorts of stuff. My cleats are polished stainless ones with stainless fasteners and doesn't apear to be any coating on the fasteners. I'm ripping them off and welding on cast aluminum ones. The list goes on.........................
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Rock , we need pictures of the process before [ so we can get parts cheaper or free to ya and after so we can see how cool it looks .

Pacific makes there own Alloy cleats and you might get a good deal on them if you call Julie.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic