Mounting Hardware

Electrical/Electronics discussion
West Lake Willows

Mounting Hardware

Post by West Lake Willows »

As you may have seen from my post about the new boat. I brought home all the electronics yesterday. It got me thinking about the mounting.

What is the proper way to mount the Stainless steel vhf antennae base to the roof of the pilot house?
Also what type of screws and bolts do you use to mount the GPS/sonar?

I'm sure this has been discussed before so I"m sorry if it is redundant, but I did several searches and didn't find what type of screws/bolts to use. I did see a post that said something about using tef gel? I was thinking about using butyl tape to isolate the metals. Thoughts?

Scott
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Mounting Hardware

Post by JETTYWOLF »

For starters, you can always make your own plastic spacers for underneath any ratchet/fold down mounts and under washers. And yes, you can buy tef-gel. I've had good luck with plain ole teflon paste. Yeah probably not all that scientific compared to the tef-gel, but then again I wonder if that stuff is laced with pure GOLD, they ask so much for it. And of course it's not readily availible either, at your local boat parts shop...at least not in the south where I'm at.

Jus use common sense. I'm poor just paying for my boat, so I'm a big time D-I-Y kinda guy.
West Lake Willows

Thank you for the reply Jettywolf.

I'm thinking the Butyl tape will work just perfect for isolating the mount from the aluminum, but do you use aluminum bolts?

In reading the tef gel website it looks like I could use stainless bolts and just apply tef gel to the threads, hole and nut? Is this the way you guys do it? I have a lot of mounting to do so I want to get it right.

Scott
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Drill your holes, Debur them, use alodine to treat the bare aluminum. Touch up the holes with primer and paint. Your Butyl tape would work but 4200 or 5200 Sealant as a (fay) surface sealant, between the Added mounts to seal and ensure no water can get trapped, install your SS bolts wet with sealant or telgel with Plastic Washers under the SS washers or let a little sealant or telgel get between the SS and Aluminum when you tighten the fasteners down.

Keep the water from getting trapped is the key as is ensuring any penetration of the Factory Finish is sealed with Alodine primer and paint. Fix any scratches as well if they are in the paint to the metal.

Aluminum Fasteners are not readily available unless you work around Aircraft or specialty machines. They will cost as well as Titanium ones (less interaction/corrosion potential).
Last edited by goatram on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

How about getting a plastic swivel base and use SS bolts with the hole spacers/sleeves so bolts do not touch alum...I got mine at local fastner supply house, Tacoma Screw! Whole lot easier than all that other stuff...still used 5200 for bedding and sealant. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

BOE Marine has Lilly lube which is the same as Tef-gel at half the price.
West Lake Willows

Thank you for all the input, I appreciate it. Glad to hear I can use SS hardware. I will stock up on 4200 and get ready to get cracking.

Scott
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic