Loran C TD's to GPS Question.

Electrical/Electronics discussion
Evil_Fish

Loran C TD's to GPS Question.

Post by Evil_Fish »

I was Cleaning the garage making room for my boat project and I came across a book that I thought I lost years ago. :clap: It has all my fishing spots and spots of many of the old time captains around here. There has to be close to 5000 locations. One thing is it is in Loran C format with TD's. I know there are programs out there that will convert them, I currently use Nobeltec which does it as well.

My question is. Has anyone tried this and had any luck doing it and keeping the accuracy? Most of the spots are for rock cod and many of them are probably to deep to fish with the new laws anyways. But they are not really something that just getting close to will do. Is it worth spending the time on it? I will have to enter them all in Excel or something to have them imported.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Loran C TD's to GPS Question.

Post by mojomizer »

:mrgreen: Give the coordinates to me...I'll check them out put the GPS numbers on a google earth map for you :rotfl:
KIDDING those loran numbers are gold. I have had the privilege of studying under some of the top local Captains in the area. :thumbsup:

Man it is hard finding new area's that have not been hammered. Been searching out small hard bottom areas and stones. Finding one the sporties deem too small for paying customers. Found some drill pipes spilled off a oil rig barge. I had a small stone that held 5 lb. vermillion rockfish..... It was my personal grocery store. Take a couple for dinner and move on. To shorten the story a sporty pulls up out from no where. Meters the stone. Since then only little tiny Starry Rockfish :banghead:

For me I get my kicks studying charts from all sources and prospecting for fish. More than just setting up on known spots.

Which old time Captain's do you know? Which ramp do you call home? Sure would like to talk to you about local fishing. Introduce you to SlDave,Kenny,In2deep and a few other local Aluminumalloyboats members.

If it was me who had the loran numbers I would convert using Nobeltech for getting close. Fish them metering about taking into consideration tide and current. Pin drop them on a Google Map. On the pin drop I would use the properties option which records GPS coordinates and write name/comments about environment and fishing success plus future probabilities. A fun and interactive way to chart your information.

Ohhhh Loran conversion for me has never been that accurate, I always had to meter about taking depth readings to help find the spot..... Sometimes circling dozens of times. I swear the little spots move :skillet: :rotfl: as far as 1/4 mile off :shocked:
When dialing the spot in to GPS
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Evil_Fish

Post by Evil_Fish »

I entered in some of the TD's to Nobeltec for some of the well know locations that I could find multiple sources for numbers and it was surprisingly accurate. It was off by about 100' but it allows for some adjustment. So with a little trial and error I may be able to get it dialed in.

I started going out on the half day boat off the end of the seal beach pier when I was probably about 10. Then I started pin-heading after a few trips and that was the that... I was hooked and thought it was something I would do for the rest of my life. I got my licenses at 20 when I was working for Shawn Morgon and Ed Leland on the M\V City Seal Beach. It was never the fastest or nicest boat but those two could out fish anyone. I think that I started in the industry at a good time. I was able to learn from the older guys who were on there way out and not be like many my age who would be lost without the GPS telling them where to point the boat. I would fill in on some of the other boats in the Long Beach area but for the most part my time was spent on the City. So from the early 90's to 2005 ish I pretty much new every sport boat captain from Newport to Pedro. It was always nice to jump on another boat on your days off and not have to pay. Since then I have lost touch with almost all of them, with kids I just couldn't stay in the industry.

I found this the other day I'm sure most people know about it but it was new to me
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/hsd/ ... nload.html
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Monster Computer using Google Earth and a overlay program. This is my sand box.

The Freelance, Western Pride...... Brockman,Goebel,Tapp,Lester,Ezel. Amigo.....Thompson(San Clemente Island)Bongos....Bairian
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Mojo, those are my old stomping grounds too . . . brings back memories . . . particularly white sea bass at the west end . . . do they still show there?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Chaps, Wow small world my Alloy brother....... West end is alive.......White seabass is making a resurgence. Whenever the market squid spawn the ghosts appear. I keep missing them by a day, early :deadhorse: Yeah I know should have been there yesterday/tomorrow.

The So Cal connection is getting larger. Les is a So Cal Texan.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I left socal about 20 years ago, running offshore chasing tuna, stripers (marlin), occasionally swords, pulling rockfish up from 600 ft out at San Nicolas & S. Barbara Islands, fishing the kelp beds for calicos, etc. is the only thing I miss about my life down there (and sometimes the weather :thumbsup: ) Oh, and the mexican food . . .
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

Shortly after loran got shut down, I knew a few that picked a conversion machine looks a lot like a loran, replaces the obsolete.

Once the offset is set I hear it works like a champ.

And they are stand alone furuno units.
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

I think I found it

The LC90
Standard Features

Computerized Direct Lattitude/Longitude Loran-C Receiver
Tracks all slaves
100 Waypoints
5 Line LCD Display
Unique sealed touchpad controls
Memory battery backup
Conversion functions from TD's to Lat/Lon
Built-in Interface for Plotters, Printer and Auto Pilots
Power Requirements

http://www.furunousa.com/Products/Produ ... +Receivers
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Cool device Gandrfab did not know Furuno made one. Do you know if anything is happening with Enchanced Loran? I thought it was going to be backup if something happens to GPS (hacked, jammed). Will the new system be compatible with old loran numbers?

Chaps and gang. What do you think of one day having a San Diego Charter chasing Yellowfin Tuna, Yellowtail and Dorado????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

Enchanced Loran, is over my head.

But I have fished with old charter Capt. that refused to use GPS, and that machine came out in time for them.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

mojomizer wrote:Chaps and gang. What do you think of one day having a San Diego Charter chasing Yellowfin Tuna, Yellowtail and Dorado????
I'd be up/down for that! I'll be down again for thanksgiving and to visit with my Dad...he is 90 now and just had eye surgery..he can't believe how much better he sees. PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Would love to - a long range trip?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic