Electrical/Electronics discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Any help from Techies out there....?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Here's what I posted on Raymarine's Discussion forum:

Raymarine C-120 want to add an additional sounder gauge
Posted by Jettywolf on January 18, 2013 in Instruments

I was told at the world famous West Marine. That with my C-120 sounder/gps/chartplotter, I couldn't add a seperate sounder, and use the "same" transducer that my C-120 operates off of.

I was looking to add a Raymarine I40 or I50 sounder/depth instrument.

But why should I have to use another transducer????

Isn't my C-120 able to have a "seatalk' with the I40 or I50. Cables? Connections?

Shouldn't this be able to happen? If not. It should...we're almost on Mars, now Raymarine!

I don't know the gargon, or even any of the techy stuff. All I know is what I want to happen.

Any help out there, for a fisherman. Not a electronics tech. I don't TEXT either...guess I'm really out of it, huh?

What I want is a:

But, I should NOT have to run another transducer. My C-120 transducer ought to be able to run this. It's called a repeater, or "SEATALK"
right?

I'd like this mounted either on my console, so I don't have use the C-120 display to see the depth, or on my false transom so when looking astern, there's the depth in your view all the time.
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Re: Any help from Techies out there....?

Post by 3f8 »

Hi Jetty,

I'm doing a bit of speculating about your current hookup. If your transducer is connected directly to your c-120. That is using the transducer interface. To get your transducer to talk to more than one device. You must get it on a seatalk network. First setup your seatalk backbone. Then get a pod to interface the transducer to the seatalk backbone. Now that it is a node on the seatalk. It can talk to others that are nodes on the network. You will then need to hook up the c-120 and the Raymarine I40 as seatalk nodes also.
typical seatalk ng.png
typical seatalk ng.png (48.5 KiB) Viewed 23086 times
It's not as bad as it sounds. Once you put in your backbone it can be very useful. I installed an N2K backbone on Vialula. The HDS 10, GPS transducer, heading sensor, the E-tec, all the gauges, the radar interface, and LSS all play on the network. Take note make good connections and keep the water out. This one cable system can work very well. If it fails many 4 letter words will ensue.
Last edited by 3f8 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Geeeez, all I wanted to buy was this:
Raymarine_sounder.png
Raymarine_sounder.png (324.13 KiB) Viewed 23073 times

Maybe, if I could make this transducer "shoot thru the hull", it would be less of a headache. ANYONE DONE A SHOOT THRU HULL ON OUR BOATS :?: :?: :?: :?:

In this day and age. All sounders should just have that built in. "additional transducers"

There ought to be just plugs in either the screen unit or the "sounder unit" that's under the dash, like Raymarine has.

Thanks,
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

Your network need not be as busy as the example pic. A piece of cable, 12v dc tap, two terminators, and a tap for each node. The pod to get the transducer on the seatalk is the only thing you need to add. They may have a backbone starter kit.
Hunter S. Thompson
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You "think" when on the Raymarine forum, someone would be able to just give you a parts list.

I always find it amazing when companies have a "help-tech-site" and are not ready to sell. For me, it's all about sell,sell,sell, or I go bankcrupt!

Sell the sizzle not the steak, as they always say. The "steak" may or maynot jump on your hook.

I went to the world famous West Over -Priced Marine store, and the guy said I couldn't do squat with a C-120......without every looking in a book or anything.

Again, another L-O-S-T sale. From a retired blow boater looking for a beer money check everyweek obviously. Gawd how I hate places and sale perople like that.

If I was a "secret shopper" and a head cheese, he would have been fired on the spot :gunner2: :gunner2:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Jetty I keep all my electronics isolated and separate........ Something breaks it does not effect other systems. A bit of redundancy if needed. Heck fishing the Jetty I would know every rock, every hole, every feeding lane by heart.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thats why I wanna tap into the same transducer...we have cell phones that have as much memory as a desk top, and this isn't availible?
I'll be researching....
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

Backbone networks do not always equate to being unreliable. On small boats it is often a group of "T"s with a terminator at each end. Safely installed inside the helm station. Each node is out on it's own drop. Think about it Jetty. If your transducer was to fail both units would be out network or not. There are a lot of benefits to sharing data on a network. In the case where to backbone must be longer. The terminator can be moved to cut out the failed cable. This will limit the loss to items only on the extended portion of your network. I still always take a spare handheld VHF with GPS and EPIRB. Of course a compass. Jetty if all else fails look for the sunset head west. you will hit dirt somewhere. My only concern with the reliance of modern navigation is loosing the art of the old fashion way. Nothing will ever replace a good compass and knowing your waters. That said I love looking at the GPS with heading and radar over lay. That kind of situation awareness is hard to beat.
Last edited by 3f8 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hunter S. Thompson
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I believe we're getting in space somewhere.

All I was looking to do is have another gauge with "DEPTH" on it without having to run yet another cable or transducer.

Guess I'll use a sounding bell and a rope huh?

I don't have to worry. I am usually anchored right along land or a pile of rocks attached to land.
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

Come on Jetty. The future is fun!! Was not the outboard a good idea. Three "T"s and two terminators at the helm station. A pod and your in. Go for it!
Hunter S. Thompson
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I could buy this and it would be cheaper. As a back up depth gauge :!: :!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrance-X-4-Fi ... 19d84d2a10

I looked at all the crappola I'd need to do a Raymarine thing. And still don't get it...

I just don't want another transducer. But not willing to pasy $100 to do so.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

If I was the Jettyguide I would have a Side scanning Sonar and a dependable up and down with A scope on separate transducers. The big But (not saying you have one) would be........nothing can replace your homefield advantage and knowledge. I think you could successfully fish without all the electronics.......... your customers may be happier seeing all the blinking, beeping lights though. If I had to choose between a Jettyguide who had all the best electronics or a Jettyguide with serious knowledge and skill I would pick the knowledgeable one.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

I agree the human element is the most significant factor. Buy why choose at all, when you can have both.
Hunter S. Thompson
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

You are right if you can afford it why not have the best of both worlds. :thumbsup:

Jetty, splitting a transducer signal is a daunting task..... Getting the signal synchronized between two depth meters without heavy interference and cluttered signals is near impossible. Echo sounders take a low frequency Sound wave measuring the time it takes to send and receive that signal. Divide in half the speed of that sound in water..... Thus getting depth. Measurements in time is extremely accurate. Synchronization of both sounders with sending a "ping" at the exact same time.... Daunting. Now maybe a digital signal coming out of the main Depth meter to a secondary gauge should be possible but the depth unit must have a dedicated port designed to do that.

3f8, Your screen name is pretty deep. The Three Fates.... You live, You Survive to the abilities given to you, Then you die. :shocked: :popcorn: :mrgreen:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Or he is a HAM.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Les you are probably right ........ :popcorn: :rotfl:

Sometimes I read too much into cryptic number and letter configurations. License plates games, bugs the heck out of my other half :popcorn:

Ham radio's are cool... les I think you should have one. :thumbsup:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Mojo,

I know that "splitting" a transducer signal is daunting. That's not what I wanted to do. I was thinking "either/or".

I gave up and moved on now anyhow.

I'm running thru action cams........that's my new job now. Sent back the DRIFT, even though it was damn near perfect. It got condensation inside on the LCD screen. They offered me a new and improved one. Told them they missed the boat. Hell with it. They lost.

Let's see.....The Kodak Playsports is fantastic. Still use it all the time. But mine is beat to hell and doesn't have wide angle. So I bought some of those Chinese wide angle lens on Ebay to try. Coming from Hong Kong.

Sent back the Pentax Optio- too many buttons and confusing to use.
Sent back the Drift Innovations camcorder, great and easy to use. But MOISTURE inside a water proof camera?

Now I just bought a Sports-Vue 360 HD. Has an awesome remote control (RF)....we'll see if it's a keeper?
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

OK................................................ :popcorn: I think the Drift would be fine you just needed the waterproof housing. They should have given you a new one plus housing.

Jwolf have you looked at http://www.gizmag.com/camone-infinity-action-cam/21648/

http://www.camonetec.com/

Or just come to the Darkside GoPro
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

Wow. I would love to be so philosophical. But in reality I'm just an old techie. In the old computing days. We did it by hand. Configuring your com ports that is. 3f8 /IRQ4 was the base memory address and interrupt for comm 1. The old DOS and windows 3.0 guys will remember this kind of arcane crap that nobody misses.
Hunter S. Thompson
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Ahhhh now that rings a bell..........Remember the first IBM PC running on 16 KB's

Was trying to think you were a F-8 pilot and went through three of them :rotfl: Greek mythology 3 fates :mrgreen: Ham operator Transportation frequency (Lester you playing trucker :joecool: )
Computers....... You build them....... they work...... become obsolete within six months. :rotfl:

3f8 show us some pictures of your Alloy.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

My dad speaks that language.......40+ year tech/programer dude. Now retired and you're right, "he says NO one wants to even remember those days anymore.

MOJO,

I have had camera posts spread all over the forum. I sent the DRIFT back. Condensation was constantly building inside the small lcd screen. Oh how they wanted to help me with a new one, were all apologetic. Wanted to send me a hand looked at by a tech, one.

But I told them forget it.

YES.......there is cameras out there that are like the GOPRO and are way better, taking better video etc. Such as the AEE magicam's. Better price, better with an incliuded TFF screen, better video. But hardly anyone selling them in the USA. Yeah there's a guy in N.C. but he's pricing them like a GOPRO, also!!!!!

I went ahead and figured I'll make this a winter "J-O-B" and keep looking for the perfect camera for ME. So now I'm onto the SPORTS-VUE 360HD.

A china camera. (as they all are) and just like the DRIFT. But with some features that are amazing!!

-A remote that actually takes the powered off camera and TURNS IT ON!!!! And records.
-Then, stops recording, and turns OFF the whole camera. Saving massive battery power.

Has all the same attributes as a DRIFT. Rubberized, zoom, 90 degree lens movement, B-U-T waterproof without a case to 60 feet. Includes TWO batteries.

BUT, in stead of getting the protection Ebay affords, I made the mistake of ordering from the company it's self. Could have been a mistake, because if there's a BIG problem. Ebay/PayPal takes care of it all. (been there, done that)

But here it is on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

I'll have to get some updated pics up. Until then look back to our AAB link.viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4148
Hunter S. Thompson
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Mark, do you have the "skelton case" , and all the other stuff like this to make the audio of your GoPro any good??????

You'll need this from all I have read (since I have no work) and spend endless hrs. researching cameras for a living, but don't get paid to do so.
(kinda like you..without the $$. hahahahahahaha)

AMAZON has these:

EBAY:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Mic-for-G ... 27cf539450
(SONY TYPE)

I seen what one guy did just for all his GoPro stuff. Bought one of those HD Pelican cases and filled all up with his accessoeries, bacpaks, batteries, screens (his new touch screen for Hero3 black, I believe)

Oh I'm a gadget guy for sure. If I could I'd have this and just GO NUTZ.......
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Nahhhhh I'll keep my GoPro's basic in the waterproof case ............ much like the McGuyver of AAB (In2deep) seems to do audio videos just fine. Hero 3 black edition for Slow motion and 30 frame bursts per second to get some great action photo's. One day seeing what shrimps do at 190 feet.

Jetty just trying to get some video discussions going. I want to decrease the learning curve on making quality video.

It is neat to see what others are using and if any design problems pop up.

All the different GoPro cases, some straps and sticky mounts already comes with the camera. No need for me to buy more stuff. Though looking at a pole mount for underwater and boom views.

Back to depth gauges have you seen this one........

Yep 3f8 we need more pictures of your Alloy.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I do use my action cams for other things besides on the boat but on the boat I still want great audio. I do Tech-tip video's for my blog readers and need perfect audio. Not muffled. McGyver or not, I'd be buying additional parts and pieces, for what I need to do.

Yeah I've seen all those little stand alone depth gauges. BUT whole point is to NOT run another transducer. RayMarine tech said "OH, if ya buy the &%&^$%%$%$#%*^*&%^#$#@!#@, you can dd a digital depth into it real easy.

F' that. Raymarine may just be chucked off my boat in the near future any ways. My C-120 is pissin me off anyhow.

You sure do keep that wacky paint job boat a real secret. Last we saw it got some bottom paint or something. And I thought I get the looks?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic