How do I delete MMSI number when VHF Radio sold?????

Electrical/Electronics discussion
BCTony

How do I delete MMSI number when VHF Radio sold?????

Post by BCTony »

I have sold my boat with its electronics – a Lowrance HDS7 and Lowrance VHF Radio LVR-880US. How do I delete my MMSI number?
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: How do I delete MMSI number when VHF Radio sold?????

Post by goatram »

Tony
I think you have to notify the Gov. to say you are releasing the ownership of that number and the new owner uses the same Number. The other option is to send the unit back to Lowrance and they delete your number and that will allow the new owner to input his number.

Some info find on google

"Boat/US’s Kristin Loyd, at 800-563-1536. Once the previous owner has released the old MMSI number, she can have that number reassigned to you"

The info was from an article written in May 07 so I don't know if the number or person is correct anymore.

Very easy to transfer the MMSI number in Canada too. Just fill in and email a PDF or word processor form. Industry Canada: Industry Canada / Industrie Canada. Helpful folks if any questions.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
BCTony

Re: How do I delete MMSI number when VHF Radio sold?????

Post by BCTony »

Well, I have spoken to Lowrance who have told me the MMSI cannot be deleted. I have also spoken with Industry Canada and from what I understand the embedded MMSI is assigned to the boat (or rather radio as this is where the number is stored and cannot be deleted) and when the new owner applies the emergency contact details will be changed/updated. This is all very well if the new owner has a Maritime Restricted Radio Operators Licence - many recreational boaters do not it seems. If the new owner does not have a Maritime Restricted Radio Operators Licence, or does not get one PDQ, it seems that if the DSC function (enabled by entry of the non-deletable MMSI) is operated the VHF will send out a distress signal with the right co-ordinates etc but will cross-reference outdated emergency contact details. It seems daft that an MMSI number cannot be deleted easily from a VHF; at the moment I cannot see the point of this control and perhaps I am misunderstanding something :?:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic