new boat electronic suggestions

Electrical/Electronics discussion
welderbob
Donator ,15

new boat electronic suggestions

Post by welderbob »

It will be awhile before we'll need this stuff, but never a bad time to start a new discussion.
My electronic guy said if I give him enough lead time, he'll get me a good deal for our new demo boat.
So I'm thinking I want a 12" display, my old eyes aren't a sharp as they use to be. As a boat-builder Raymarine will extend the warranty for any of there equipment I put on a new boat build. I have a 4kw northstar set-up on my current boats. I don't think I want a 4kw radar ,but a 2kw might be nice. Some of the new structure scan stuff would be cool to play with.
We have put some 740 series Garmin displays on a few boats, but want the bigger display. the easier to install the better.

Welderbob
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Re: new boat electronic suggestions

Post by 3f8 »

Look at the G3 or G4. Check the last two pics from this old post of mine. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4148&hilit=+radar
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

SIMRADS......yeah with the Broadband G3, G4 radar. Simrad and lowrance are like different companies today. Since one merged with the other I believe.
Armstrong

Post by Armstrong »

Simrad broke away about 4 years ago. Their good commercial line stayed Simrad. Their cheaper stuff was discontinued. The name went to Navico, the parent company for Lowrance.

I have been installing for almost 9 years. I can install anything, and am a Nationally Certified Installer.

I am a Raymarine fan, my backup goto company is Garmin. But the lines between the two get thinner and thinner, with Raymarine FAST approaching.

There is a huge value in Navico equipment.
1999 Armstrong Pilot house 26
Yamaha pair, F225's
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I had the euro Simrad mfd's for years and it was good stuff but kind of clunky, put the HD Lowrance stuff on my current boat, I like it fine though I hate the comic book waypoint icons, recently ran a new motoryacht up from Los Angeles to Seattle (1,200 miles with weather on the nose) with the latest Raymarine gear, seemed a little more refined (pro grade) than Lowrance, have not used the current Garmin stuff or Furuno stuff. Seems like everything gets upgraded so quickly anymore by the time you get anything installed and operating properly its already obsolete.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Aluminum Clone Owner
Donator #1 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12

Post by Aluminum Clone Owner »

here are a few pics of my last Raymarine install

NICE stuff!
2011 Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King
Twin Yamaha 150's
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic