Battery switch ticking

Electrical/Electronics discussion
Sculpin

Battery switch ticking

Post by Sculpin »

Another mystery to solve. Everytime I turn on the cockpit depth sounder my battery switch starts ticking. I have to turn off the engines and turn off the batteries and turn on the batteries again to make the ticking stop. Any one know what might be causing this?
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Depth sounder transducers often make an audible ticking sound when the sounder is running, Are you sure that is not what you are hearing?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

TICK, TICK, TICK! Your not going nuts!!!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Its your transducer with the power up. My 1000-watt thru hull is super loud ticking when I am in the canyon in deep water and the engine is off as we drift chunking for tunas. It doesnt do it in shallow water hardly at all in low power.
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I'm running dual Lowrance transom mount transducer/skimmers next to the pod. With the cabin unit running alone no ticking. Only when I use the cockpit unit do I hear the ticking. I could swear it was coming from the battery switch but I will check again. Thanks guys.
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

It's the transducer. I was on the phone with the tech from Sytex a couple weeks ago troubleshooting a transducer installation and he said listen for the ticking at the transducer and sure enough the transducer was ticking. But I do have a question about those switches. Do they go Bad? And if so does anyone know what to expect?
Adrian
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I checked it out more closely and it is indeed the transducer :oops: . Well at least it wasn't the battery switch :) . I unhooked the batteries and took the switch apart anyways to check it out for corrosion etc. and clean up the terminals and all is good.
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

capeannfisherman wrote:It's the transducer. I was on the phone with the tech from Sytex a couple weeks ago troubleshooting a transducer installation and he said listen for the ticking at the transducer and sure enough the transducer was ticking. But I do have a question about those switches. Do they go Bad? And if so does anyone know what to expect?
Adrian
The good quality battery switches such as Perko or Blue Seas should never wear out. The switching components are fully sealed & the only real way to damage them is by hitting them with a hammer or running way too much amperage through them. They are also self-cleaning. Every time you change batteries or switch off the contacts give each other a little polish. :shock: :shock: :shock:
So apart from rotating the switch position on a regular basis & keeping the terminals free of corrosion, there is no maintenance. :D :D :D :D
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic