Important Striped Bass Discard Video

Fishing, Fixing, boating and How-to Videos
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Important Striped Bass Discard Video

Post by AlloyToy »

Not directly related to Alloy but an important video to fishermen/fisherwomen.........http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/fis ... catch.html
Not trying to redirect anyone to any other web site, but am trying to express the importance of banning the mid water fleet that is doing no justice to the fishing here in the NE

Disgusting.............absolutely disgusting :sarge:

This video was shot by Steve Morley a rec. tuna fisherman up here in the NE on his way from the Regal Sword a notorious tuna fishing grounds
triumphrick
Donator '08, "09, "10, '"11

Re: Important Striped Bass Discard Video

Post by triumphrick »

What a waste. We used to have similar problems here in Florida with the mullet net fishermen. In 1996 we succesfully petitioned voters and got on the ballot a "ban the nets" initiative. Florida Sportsman magazine and Karl Wickstrom the publisher were very active in getting ballots circulated. I lived on the intercoastal in Englewood Fl. at the time and would regularly see gutted mullet washing dead around our dock. At the local boat ramp the bottom would be littered with dead gutted mullet, rotting at the ramps. The netters would gut them for the fish roe....and throw the mullet back in instead of taking them 40 miles to a processing plant and getting .30 lb for them. The roe, however would get them $2 lb. I was constantly sending my pictures in to the magazine and they were published and there was quite an outcry. When voted upon, we won with 70% approving the net ban. What I am getting at is keep posting your video and pics. Believe me, people are watching. :soap:
1986 Blue Fin 16'2". 1986 Evinrude 50 VRO. EZ Loader trailer
Image FOR SALE
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Post by aluminumdreamer »

That's really messed up. Those all looked like decent sized fish. :sad:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

This footage has been around for awhile and is frequently shown by Stripers Forever Org. If you want this to end it will take more of us to join in and sound off. That is what you see on top.

About 16 months ago the discovery channel tried to get some footage of the New England Dragger fleet at work for a show. The bycatch was so bad they scrapped the show and went with the Lobster boats instead. A rep from save the bay told me that the producer told the dragger crews if the footage was ever veiwed by the public their way of fishing would likely be banned forever !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic