NON ALLOY vs Aluminum

Fishing, Fixing, boating and How-to Videos
skfmj

NON ALLOY vs Aluminum

Post by skfmj »

Surfing Youtube for aluminum boats and look what I found.
Wow,the Plastic boat builders in Australia are fighting Back!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=offUglbbfXw#

Makes you want to go out a buy a Whaler! Not!!
Richard
Pacific 23 WA5
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Nothing he said was "revolutionary".....maybe in Austrailia, but not here.
Coring, woven roving, not chop strand, all that. Builders have been doing it for years.

Those big dead air spaces is what maybe gives a NON ALLOY boat a better ride, but then again when they screw or even glass all those "pieces" together. It sounds weak, too me.

I love the idea that "glass boats today and new technological engines are made for eachother" statement. I laughed. Sounds like the same thing as "ya know the new tires they have out today are made just perfect for the new cars produced today..."

Ya mean a good set of Michilans won't work that good on my 1955 Ford pick up????

He had to say the word "GREEN" didn't he...that was a good one.

The impact test??? Well I had a NON ALLOY boat that was hit full bore by another boat and let me tell ya, it smashed the crap out ofr my boat with it's bow eye. And I had two big punctures that needed professional help.

Oh well, to each his own. That's why we're here and they're on another web site.

I'll keep my boat. I love it.

And by the way I'm getting older too, and the older I get the smarter I get and wonder why I didn't have a "aluminium"...what ever the hell he called it :roll: 10 years ago.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I tell you what, that composite panel in the drop test was seriously destroyed, meanwhile the narrator is saying how minor the repair would be LOL.

The toughness issue in composites favor doesn't hold up. I repair boats, mainly composite boats and the time & materials cost to do the jobs right both structurally and cosmetically are significant. Aluminum repairs are rarely needed and easy to do when they do occur. You have any idea what it would take to properly fix that vac bagged panel they made if it had a hole in it? Its a laugher for sure.

I've hit all kinds of stuff with my Edwing, it leads a rough life. Logs, rocky beaches, steel buoys, concrete docks have all been encountered. She's got plenty of scratches but no dents anywhere, hull's still perfectly fair.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I trust this guy to make a tougher hull than the guy with his little air bubble roller, plastic bags, and resin sucker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VNr3OL8v0
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
skfmj

Post by skfmj »

I figured you guys would get a kick out of that video. I sure did.

:D
Richard
Pacific 23 WA5
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Fumes From MIG

Post by kmorin »

RE: Crash Test in plastic composite versus alloy- the test intentionally didn't test a hull related impact. The glass damage would have "dominoed" into a hull failure but even with a hole (probably a 5052 alloy test not 5086 or 5083) the metal hull would have been intact except for a little "pluggable" hole.

These GRP guys are sure having market trouble as folks wake up to the relative value between the two materials as boats.

RE: Welding Video

I wish the welder had an air filtration/purifying respirator on, or had an elephant nose ventilator hanging over the work area.

As an old welder with small airway passage disorder, I'd have preferred to have been more informed when I was young and still 'bullet proof'.

Cheers,
kmorin
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Interesting to say the least. I have never owned a "tupper ware" boat and never intend to. I grew up with a couple that were my dads and his last one was on old Monk designed wooden pleasure cruiser 42' er. I'd take that old woodie before the "tupper ware" any day.

The green comment sent me reeling with laughter. I have a real problem with all the old glass boats around. Around here you get charged by weight at the land fill so nobody takes there boats there and they just sit in yards. I can't imagine places like Floriday (maybe Jetty can enlighten me on this) as I assume there are masses of old hulls in yards everywhere. I tried looking into the recycling of glass hulls and it appears to have limited value and is quite difficult and expensive to do. Can anyone enlighten me on the recycling of glass hulls???. I find this not very "Green" at all and is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. This isn't even getting into the gases and fumes produced by Polyester resins etc..........
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I'm involved with our local municipality when it comes to dealing with derelict & abandoned boats. Both wood and composite boats end up in the landfills but composite are the worst because they don't crush well. The woodies we can tear them apart with a backhoe or excavator and fill a roll-off box with the debris but the glass boats get trailered to the dump where they are buried whole. They try to flatten them with the dozers but they still take up a lot of room. The metal boats we put them out to auction and they always get bought for at least scrap value.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Fumes From MIG

Post by JETTYWOLF »

kmorin wrote:RE: Crash Test in plastic composite versus alloy- the test intentionally didn't test a hull related impact. The glass damage would have "dominoed" into a hull failure but even with a hole (probably a 5052 alloy test not 5086 or 5083) the metal hull would have been intact except for a little "pluggable" hole.

These GRP guys are sure having market trouble as folks wake up to the relative value between the two materials as boats.

Cheers,
I HAVE.....I WON!!!!
I can tell you that much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic