First Striper Run event ?

Get-togethers and fun events
Occams Razor

First Striper Run event ?

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All:

How would a early Alloy event in Providence sound to the NE alloy folks ?

Stripers take up good hold in the spring in the Providence river with lost of Bunker available.

Though it may make a easy event to strut the Alloy in the spring !

I will keep a keen eye of when they start to show and if its a nice weekend maybe we can get few folks together.

:thumbsup:
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Re: First Striper Run event ?

Post by aluminumdreamer »

I'm game, given that my boat is all welded back together by then.

Nate. :beer:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Dreamer:

I think you have about 60 days to go......

If you don't have it back together you can jump on board with me...
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Sounds good, I appreciate the offer. Hopefully we get some warm days early on so I can get out and get to welding. I don't have a shop to work in, so everything needs to be done outside. I don't mind the cold, but I don't think it makes for good welding.

Again, I appreciate the offer, and hopefully I won't have to take you up on it. Although I wouldn't mind going out on that sweet boat of yours.

Nate. :thumbsup:
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I would be interested, how rough is the river? My aluminum is only 16'.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Can we make it a week day :mrgreen: The last ime I fished the Bass bite on a Sat up in the bay it was A$$ O to A$$ O.....worse than the cod bite at Block :mrgreen:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

16 Footer up in the Providence River is just fine . Plenty of Kyak guys too so 16 is enough.

Toy ! Sounds like a good idea the week day thing. It does get crazy up there . They tend to stay away from my floating barge......NON ALLOY and plate alloy

don't mix well together when attitudes get roused.

I will keep atune to the bite....

I have a bass boat (freshwater ) buddy that fishes the warm water area of the power plant over the winter. He lets me know when the heavies start to show.

Should be able to get Alloy Toy , Tin Cup , Clambo, and a few other bigger alloys in the mix.

Got to love Alloy ! :thumbsup:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

count me
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Occam, Where do you launch?? down low and run up the bay? Also give us the low down on the RI SW license :?: I read today in "The Fisherman" MA, CT, & RI will all reciprocate :?:
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

occam's sounds good to me! AT quite a few good places to launch that are not too far a run.
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Clambo:

Launches all over the place ! You have Fox Point, fishing park off Eddy St, Heines Park, all the ramps in Warwick....its just easy all around.

The MA guys can come off 195 or 95 south and launch rite in Providence.

Heines Park can be accessed off 114 .

I think it would be a good way to kick the season off the new season . The heavies just seem to corral the bunker up there sooner than anywhere else.

I hooked something last year that was very very strong and took some good drag on my 870 Accurate but the damn snell came undone ! I was pissed !

I knew better too , I usually tie all my own but when I arrived there were heavies rolling all over so I just grabbed a snelled circle out of my casting bag quick

like and did a quick loop to loop and poped a live bunker on. Not in the water 3 min and I saw the bump on the rod . I just lifted and the circle hook took hold

She had some kind of power and I layed into her then my St Croix snapped to attention. SH*** ! Hooked a another heavy about 20 minutes later but it did

not have the pull of the first one ! Too bad, but I let them go anyway.......
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Sounds good, if the day works out with my work I will be there, I will coming from the northshore if any other MA guys want to meet up and convoy down.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Alloy:

I launch nearly 100% of the time at Heines Park. That ramp is a stone throw away and it centers me nearly center in the bay.

I have only towed her one other place Westport so far. I would tow her all over if I had a 3/4 ton or 1 ton but my C1500 is set up to pull stumps at the moment.

As I have said I mostly Jig so the only time the big Honda gets run really is to and from. Being a 2007 I still have not hit 200 hours :thumbsup:

And she has run from home to outside and the vinyard nearly every time I go out . Longest trip so far was Nomans.....went to jig for hammer bass and ended

up with my very first Atlantic Hali :thumbsup: I was so excited I did not even measure it :hammer: It was was way over 36 maybe 44 or so ....You would

have thought I pulled a 2 carrot diamond off the ocean bottom ! Good eatin :thumbsup: The same week another guy hooked one just around Jamestown...

Too bad the ocean floor was not littered with them .......
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

If we decide on a week day I'll have to schedule in advance to get off from work. I'll be coming from the Cape towing my 23' sled behind my Tacoma, so it's going to be a long ride.

I'll be there one way or another! :thumbsup:

Nate.
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Looks Like alot of interest so far so I believe it will be a go !

I will keep close tabs on what develops up there . It has been coming ealier every year.

It should be fun to see so many Alloy hulls invade the Providence ....
Attachments
285593-R1-14-13A_015 (800x540).jpg
285593-R1-14-13A_015 (800x540).jpg (150.21 KiB) Viewed 19113 times
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Guys comin from the Cape area or Fall river are best to just hop on 114 and use Heines Park.

Guys coming North of Providence best to just tow into Providence and launch either side the river.

guys from down the Bay ......enjoy the ride up the bay :thumbsup:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Never knew the "Butts" went around to the S Side :idea: I've heard of them taken in the GOM........
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

AT

November 4, 2009
R.I. Saltwater License is dead....
Governor Carcieri vetoes the legislation
Rhode Island anglers now subject to federal registry

HOWEVER

Assembly enacts salt water fishing license over governor’s veto

Legislators voted recently to override the governor’s veto to create the Ocean State’s first recreational saltwater fishing license.

The license, which will cost $7 for state residents, will be required for those fishing recreationally in the coastal waters of Rhode Island.

In his veto message, the governor stated that fishing is a birthright of all Rhode Islanders, and that people who occasionally take their children fishing should not be subject to a fee.

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN!!!

Rhode Island has long required licenses for freshwater fishing. Those licenses currently cost $18 and, like their new saltwater counterpart, help to provide funding to programs that support the healthy fisheries and access to them.

The license will cost $7 for state residents, and will be free for residents who are 65 or older or in active military service. Sevenday licenses would also be offered for $5 for both residents and nonresidents. Like freshwater licenses, they will be available at bait shops and retailers.

Those fishing in violation of the chapter would be guilty of a civil infraction and would be fined $10 for the first offense, $50 for the second and $100 each for subsequent offenses. The money raised will fund administration of the licensing program and support fisheries management and improvement.

I can't find anywhere on RI DEM where federal license will be taken as a RI license.
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Alloy:

(Never knew the "Butts" went around to the S Side I've heard of them taken in the GOM........AlloyToy

???????????????????????????????????

What's up with all the Code ?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Occams Razor wrote:Alloy:

(Never knew the "Butts" went around to the S Side I've heard of them taken in the GOM........AlloyToy

???????????????????????????????????

What's up with all the Code ?
Occam....."Atlanti Hali" didn't know they could be found on the South facing beaches ......that's an awesome catch :arrow:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Alloy:

Sorry ....don't know too much about them other than how to tell what they are. Its a real fluke of a catch and one person I spoke with about it said they show

show up now and then when huge bait plooms move in and they follow briefly until the water is not to their likeing. I found out another person took one off

the cape last season too. It was just crap luck in my book. I poke around and find Deep holes in drop jigs on one edge and down and through the pocket.

I have taken my largest Fluke that way , but this day I was jigging a hump that had a drop off of 30 feet on one side of it . It looked to be holding some

cow bass on the sounder. So I dropped a big bubba jig rite on the hump and jigged down the side that marking fish. Nothing.....I spun around and did the

thing again and in the drop off I lifted the rod while jigging and I thought I snagged a rock. I lifted harder and I could feel a wimpy shake and just mostly

weight. I thought damn ! I hooked a bass and she's got the leader under or around a rock. So I backed off drag got on the gloves and took a couple a wraps

and gave a slow even pull . It came with force so I knew whatever I was hooked under was movable. Well I went back to the rod and applied pressure and

slowly came up maybe 10 feet or sow then I got this huge whack like tug and just dead weight again. I knew then I was not snagged so I worked it up. I about

crapped myself when I got it up close to the surface . Man now that's a doormat ! Off the thing went to the bottom and I piled on the drag pressure with the

tiny Accurate to keep the head up....while wrenched her up I grabbed my monster Frabril net and got the net ender it . She went bull**** but I had it ! When I

went to lift the net It was like no doormat I have ever lifted. Got it in the boat and I knew this was no summer flattie ! Way to thick ! I put it in the cooler

and contined on my day. Did not catch one Bass that day but I could care less.... I jigged for fluke on the way back home about a mile out off Sakonett.

I guess the Cod jiggers get them now and then on Georges too. These huge flatties must come down further in the winter months and if they find a 80' hole

like i did must set up camp until the water it too much to their liking. Man if you get just one of these a week you would have plenty of white meat ! They

are just thick !

I heard the Wolfies have been more common recently too.......all good eatin !

Thanks for the code knowledge :thumbsup:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

Looks like we will be putting up with some more nippy weather this week, got the Super Bowl and Daytona and I think we will be seeing a change for the

better soon after . There is always the freak snow storm the first week of March however it does not hold with the sun hanging higher and higher each

day. Many of us will start to chase the spring Tog and I will keep a close eye on the bridge area for the first Heavies (stripers) to start to show. Dead

giveaway as I stated are the rubber flippers hanging around the bridge . Won't be long , be here before you know it :thumbsup:
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Bring on the warm weather! Anyone going to the saltwater fishing show in Providence March 19-21?

Nate
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

That show is one of the better shows in NE IMHO :thumbsup: May or may not attend... actually hope to be cod fishing by then off Block
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All

I will be at the show myself, I figure it will be the best time to fill out paperwork for fishing license and get the skinny on if it will be recourant or not.

Do the walk a couple of times and see if there is anything I want to pick up.
Attachments
285593-R1-14-13A_015 (800x540) (2).jpg
285593-R1-14-13A_015 (800x540) (2).jpg (150.21 KiB) Viewed 19807 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic