DSC00083.jpg
DSC00083.jpg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 20869 times
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Alaska What a Country!!!!!

Post by mojomizer »

Oh my god Becky look at that butt "I like big butts, I can not lie. You other alloy lovers can't deny. That when a girl swims in and bites a itty bitty jig and make the reel and rod go round."

Capt. PJ you are right it is a Rockfish. A nice Yelloweye Rockfish. I felt honored being able to fish for them. In the lower 48 I will never be able to fish them for the next 100 years. I feel the pain of Puget Sound.

Big Fish Welder with a quality Yelloweye (biggest of ther trip)

SpoiledOne........ Well being Spoiled.

I think I poached this picture.

Me being Spoilmized.

Thinking this fish may be a Short Raker Rockfish???????????

Beer Battered rockfish anyone????? MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Next Pics the Salmonids

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

AWESOMEE GUYS :!: Great pics......glad ya'll had a blast :thumbsup:

MoJo is that a spiral wrapped rod??? We are fishing those now for BFT up here......made by who :?:
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Whew, finally back at work with high speed abilities.

First of all – many, many thanks to you Pete and your family for allowing us to play in your personal play ground! I had a spectacular time. Words alone just cannot describe what I was able to experience.

Mojo – glad to hear you and Kenny made it home safely. It was wonderful to see you two again – Go Team!

Keep the pictures coming Mark – to me, they speak a million words.

Humbly,
Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

AT The Spiral wraps are on a Jigging Master 500 and 350 blanks Wrapped by JPR Customs, paired with a Accurate 600 and 500 Extremes respectively. I like the action and match of these rods. Not really knowing how hard the Monster Bluefins pull in your neck of the woods I do not know how these rod systems would fair. Interesting fact the Spiral Wrap design has been around since 1909.

Wait till you see the Super Seeker Hercules GTS 560 XH rod I am building just for Alaskan jig fishing. I already like the action of this blank, more than the Jigging Masters.

Daddy'O the sights of Alaska were and are awesome a million words cannot describe the scenery. Strangely my memory remembers the camaraderie that we 5 had on the Spectacular "Patience" fishing battlewagon. The laughs, great food (SpoiledOne's galley is set up to cook gourmet meals) and hospitality made the trip for me.

Pure joy in all faces. GOOOOOO TEAM.

I have sworn to get you back :mrgreen: My Eye's are rounder then Ya'lls

On to the Salmonids.

One thing we should have done was fish for more Salmon. The Halibut, Lingcod and Rockfish was just too much fun. I have never fished a buzz bomb lure but will add these to my arsonal. I bet they would do well in every part of the country.

Big Fish Welder with a nice King Salmon.Back ground Kenny hooked to a Monster Halibut. The rod is a 8 foot GUSA Wahoo rod rated for 50-80 lb. line you will see later a legitimate bendo in this rod. Shorts weather in Alaska.

Me with a Silver Salmon.

Bloody Deck without the Salute :mrgreen: .

Kenny with a Silver.

We also caught a bunch of Pink Salmon but could not find a picture of one. Locals kind of thumb their noses at them. I guess they do not freeze well. My un-educated or non spoiled pallet thought they were great. I have heard that the Red Salmon and White Salmon taste the best. Ask SpoiledOne about White Salmon.

Next Kenny and the MONSTER BUTT.

Writing this brings back alot of cool and funny memories.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

Good-googly-woo each time yall post pics I think "That is the tadpoles toenail" and they can't get any better than what is posted. Then the next pictures yall post seem to get even better! :thumbsup:

I've changed from making sure I have a hand towel as a "Drool rag" when opening this post, to a beach towel........... :skillet:

Keep'um comin ! :thumbsup:
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Mojomizer wrote: "I have sworn to get you back My Eye's are rounder then Ya'lls"

I really believe you've already got me back, or maybe I should say front. :shocked:

No need to go into any details Mark. Suffice it to say I laugh my butt off every time I think about the "incident". :mrgreen:

LMAO,
Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Daddy'O wrote:Mojomizer wrote: "I have sworn to get you back My Eye's are rounder then Ya'lls"

I really believe you've already got me back, or maybe I should say front. :shocked:

No need to go into any details Mark. Suffice it to say I laugh my butt off every time I think about the "incident". :mrgreen:

LMAO,
Wayne
What happens on the boat stays on the boat! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Great Googly Moogly I am scarred for life. You are too funny Daddy'O.

On to more fishing............. The ugly details.

This rod is a Original 8 foot Graphite USA Double Helix Rod called the "Wahoo" rated for 50 to 80 lb. This Rod is a monster of a blank.

Paired up with a Penn Baja Special Reel Carbontex Drag Washers filled with 100 lb. Spider Wire. Sampo Swivel. 6 foot leader of 200 lb test. Salas PL 68 Jig in Glow Pattern.

Image This set up was magic . Catching every species of fish we caught.

Big Fish Welder Caught a nice King Salmon on this Set Up. As Welder is posing with his King. Kenny takes the opportunity to drop the rig down again. Notice the rod starting to load up.

Kenny getting bit.........

Fish on!!!!!!!

Yes my friends the Sea Was Angry That Day. 1 foot chop, winds gusting to 5 miles. :mrgreen: The devil fish hooked up, Some fish have the penchant for survival. A Meanness and Sixth Sense on doing things at the most un-opportune time for the angler. Violent head shakes when risen off the bottom, streaking for the relative safety of the bottom and sulking deep.
Kenny was gradually getting Spooled.

Pulling with all his might inch by inch Kenny was losing ground.

If not for the superb boat handling skills of the Skipper SpoiledOne it would have been shear Disaster. Like a top contending MMA fighter jostling for position SpoiledOne circled the Beast allowing Kenny to gain precious line back. Quarter cranks then full cranks of the reel......the turning of the reel handle gained line. Thrice Gigantic Violent head shakes, Thrice the Beast would head to the bottom. The fearless crew would give Kenny encouragement :rotfl: :popcorn:

A new strategy must be employed. We Would lead the fish with the boat planning it to the surface. Low and behold it was working. 100 feet down........80 feet down...... Turning of the handle, a grimmace, more encouragement from the crew.... 60 feet down....... 40 feet down this fish was ours. Many men and nations had the folly of premature celebration. This demonic fish had one more trick under it's fin....................

Due to the worry of Timing out and losing this post. I am taking a break and make myself some Honey Butter Glazed Wild Salmon with a hint of fresh dill. Be right back.

Cheers and Beers :beer:

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Kind of a bummer but some of the vacuum packed bags were not sealed right. Good news is it means more meals cooked up.

Baked Alaskan Salmon Honey Butter Glaze with Dill. Baked till the Honey just starts to Caramelize.

Served over a bed of Rice...... A Light Drizzle of Soy Sauce, makes all the Flavors Pop.

Any one know of a Authentic Shrimp Gumbo Recipe???????????? Spicier the Better...... Ouuuuuuuuweeeeeee.

:popcorn: :beer: Kenny and the Fish part 2

"This Demonic fish had one more trick under it's fin."

As we led the fish up from the Depths. It must have been a reincarnation of a Kung Fu master. It Bent like a Willow and changed tactics. At 40 feet it charged under the "Patience" Spider Wire coming dangerously close to the churning propellers. Captain SpoiledOne with cat like reflexes shifted to neutral.

"Arrrrrrrrr..... I am a Tiger"

A worried and nervous voice Kenny exclaims "I felt the line get nicked" I do not know the characteristics of Spider Wire under abraided conditions. Kenny still pulling with determination of freeing the world of this hell hound of a Fish. The Crew readying the Harpoon. Kenny gains line........ we see the nicked line and onto the the Spool it winds. A hushed relief that We have that part of the line on board. 30 feet to go........ 25 feet........ 20 feet Adrenalin is pumping. Quick instructions on Harpoon protocol is barked out. The spawn of MobyDick legend shakes it's gargantuan head sending enormous shock waves into the Carbon fiber rod. For the forth time it heads for the deep sulking on the bottom. All gains lost a serious nick in the line 40 feet above the PL68's formidable J hook.

40 minutes I consult with the Captain. He is amazed at the will of this fish, a true Alaskan Survivor. Most large Halibut will come to the surface. Pull their head out of the water and it will explode with anger showering the boat and all aboard with the chilled briny. We are worried the frayed line is becoming weaker with every tick of the clock. The PL68 sharp hook wearing a hole in the Jaws from the fiery inferno. Being a Jig every shake of the head with it's inherant weight can cause the jig to pop free. A decision was made.

The reels drag was set at 20 lb. Three more clicks of the star drag and more pressure applied in keeping the beasts head up and again plane it back up from the inky depths. Not giving the fish any opportunity to head back down to safety.

Minute 44 into the battle line gained back just past the damaged line. Once more the mighty beast shakes the earth and wins it's freedom. This fish will live to spawn more fish that dreams are made of and keep me coming back to Alaska if the opportunity arises. This fish story will forever be in the legend of AAB get togethers alongside SL Daves halibut in the First West Coast Meet and Greet.

Much to Kenny's credit he did not go into a funk and throw my rod into the water. He smiled, rested his arms and jumped right in fishing as energetic as always............. Way to go Kenny :clap:

Halibut pictures on the right side of the rail to come.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I think that this is my favorite thread ever on AAB! The flavor and feel of your trip is so well presented
that the experience can be really shared by the rest of us.

I just got back from a 1 and 1/2 day charter from SanDiego to Ensenada for ablacore. The entire boat was skunked. Not even a bite. I am tired and spent a lot of money. I am not complaining ...I just want to put the awesomeness of your trip in perspective.
Last edited by S L Dave on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Mark – Fantastic thread!

Every time I read & look at the photos in this thread, I will be reminded of just how wonderful the 2010 AAB Alaska trip experience was. It honestly still feels like a dream (with the exception of the need to loosen my belt a notch from all the incredible meals we ate).

I’m a truly blessed man who was fortunate enough to be able to go on this expedition with such wonderful men who will always be known as my friends.

Thanks Mark, Kenny, Pete, & Lester!

GO TEAM! :thumbsup: :beer:

Wayne

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thanks for the Kind words. The Knowledge passed, Friendships gained, the Laughs, Camaraderie in sharing a good Meal and being on a Awesome Aluminum Alloy Boat is what "Meet and Greets" are all about............. Oh the Fishing, Scenery and Adventure icing on the Cake with a Cherry on top.

Super Dave hopefully the joy of being on the water offset the Fishing. Looks like it has been tough fishing for the San Diego fleet in the 1 1/2 day range. One thing I do is check the moon phases when booking a offshore trip. To me the fish are hanging deeper on the nights with the full moon. I could be wrong but I think it has to do with feeding cycles. When the fish are deep it is almost impossible to get the fish to rise to the trolling pattern or chum line.

Hope I am not rubbing this in but SpoiledOne did not post his Prime Rib dinner. Tender,Robust and Quite Tasty seved with a Hearty Red Wine. I wonder what the folks in the Bayliner are eating.

Halibut has a aways held a special spot in my heart. I remember as a Kid fishing the piers with my Dad. Catching a fat Flattie made you hero on the pier for the day. Pacific Halibut much more streamlined with thick shoulders then it's Southern California cousins. There is something about cold water and the quality of the fillet. :thumbsup:

After Kenny lost his Monster I cut the nicked line out, retied the leader and sent the Salas PL68 down not five minutes later was rewarded with this Eater Halibut.

Local knowledge reigns supreme SpoiledOne with a nice one. Though I always wished I was taller. There are advantages in making my fish look bigger in photo's :rotfl:

Big Fish Welder with his first Pacific Halibut :thumbsup:

Drop a jig Catch a Salmon up top or Halibut on the bottom.

A gaggle of prime eating fillets.

A virtual Sea Food Smorgasbord. Halibut, Lingcod, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Shrimp on the side :mrgreen: Waking up for 5 days of scenery and Fishing................. Have I told you Thank you SpoiledOne today??????

Welder and his Monster fish.................................................

NEED HELP WHO HAS A SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE?????????

Filling the Soul

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

SpoiledOne's Sand Box. Prince William Sound (PWS)

The areas I have read about for many years.

The Needles....... Alot of picture taking opportunities and willing biting fish.

South Western Montague island. The weather allowed us access to this area. Possibilities of monster fish always a probability. This area is known as "Jurrasic Park" During the 1964 Alaskan 9.4 Earth Quake (second largest in recorded history) South Western Montague Island had a 49 foot vertical shift. It is the largest unihabited Island in the United States.

Sorry about the definition. If you would like to see the charts in greater detail, check out my AAB photo Alblum.

I was going to post a pic of SpoiledOnes GPS but it had some of his fishing Holes on it :mrgreen: I always like checking out electronic charts to remember the areas I fish. The water and weather conditions and understand why the area produced fish for future referance. I love the overlay program I have for Google Earth. It tells me what the bottom is made up of. Rock,Sand, Shells, Gravel, Clay or Mud. Depth contours. Wrecks, Reefs and prohibited zones. It also lets me plan my trips for milage purposes. It truly is an amazing program, it does take strong computer system to run though.

Picture of The Needles.

Sea Lion Roost.

Natures Ultimate Fighter Show.

Talk about branding a Animal.

Hope you have enjoyed The pics and narration so far. I am always afraid it is turning out to be Too Long and Drawn Out.
We are almost through. I would like to show "other" fish we caught. The other Alloy boats we saw and Blooper Pics :rotfl:

Any recommendations or requests will be adressed.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Mark , keep posting and YES , find a place to show the ALLOY ARMADA that works out of that part of the country.

:thumbsup:
Lester,
Deno

Post by Deno »

WOW!! Excellent write up and the pictures are cool too, one of the best thread for sure… Welder you look like you belong there you fit right in… When my boys are older am making a trip up North for sure.. Thanks for sharing keep the pictures coming… Why didn't’t you guys take Jetty? :beer:
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

We can't get him out of Jacksonville , he keeps trying to tell something about making a living , go figure....
Lester,
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Miscellaneous fish we caught but released. One fish I have always wanted to catch........ not the biggest or the meanest fighter and I guarantee has never been posted on AAB............. I like the Colors....... Designs........and Contrast. The Yellow would pop like crazy on a Sunny Day............ The China Rockfish

This one is called a Quillback Rockfish. The Spines are mildly poisonous.

A Better pic.........

A Southern Californian catching a Pacific Cod (like the Camera magic???) must have been all three inches :mrgreen:

A true Alaskan with Local knowledge........Pacific Cod. SpoiledOne have I told you Thank You Today :thumbsup:

Bigfish Welder with a Irish Lord

Wonder what the Texan is thinking looking at this Greenling. Why is a Greenling RED???????

Could it be Big fish Welder with a Sole. Takes Talent to catch on one that Circle Hook, with that Size of that Bait. Welder also gets the Miscellaneous Most species award.

Black Bass (Black Rockfish) Man this fish is fun. Bring a bass stick some plastics. Wooo Hoooo hook up!!!!! I would put the kids on a school of these. Have to fire the Photographer could not find a pic From the multitudes we caught.

Nemo of the North. A Tiger Stripe Rockfish. The Photographer must be having to much fun Fishing.

Man What a blast we had.

Next Daddy'O and his mystery fish. How many Texan's does it take to catch a fish???????

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Mojo,

Ya have me wondering how they let ya up there with that gawdy rod and reel :rotfl: :rotfl:

You are the man. The posting KING. Your narration is awesome. And I can't believe the plates of food you post.
I've never seen that much.......so much calories time and time again. I'd need a hospital stay after all that.

Day after day I'm fishing, and or sleeping, or eating small low buck food portions. Then get up and do it all over again.
The economy has recovered, here this summer.

This is the way my summer's are supposeed to be. No rest for the busy. While financially recovering after years of no bussiness in Florida.

The oil spill has helped "MY" coast of course. And will for many years to come. But ruining the Gulf of Mexico where I so badly wanted to relocate too, is not how we all planned for more business to come.

I'm soooooooooo out of the loop it's rediculas. But the Alaska Trip looks to be any man's dream fishing trip.

And Spoiled one, is still a rich Alaskan in my book. A tall grinning one, but still rich in having the opportunity to show ya'll things most will never ever see.
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

mojomizer wrote:

NEED HELP WHO HAS A SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE?????????

Filling the Soul

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
I sent ya a PM Mojo. I can fix ya up with a easy way to make a GOOD Gumbo. :thumbsup:

Right Welder???

(I fixed a bait of Gumbo when we were in Pensacola. I lost count of how many times he re-filled his bowl.... :rotfl: )
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I lost count after three bowls , it was a blur after that . I do remember that until some of them Yankee's taped a hair and tried it , it was like a bunch of Sharks in a feeding FRENZY .

:popcorn:
Lester,
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Many Thanks LuckyLouie, AluminumAlloyBoats.com I love this site. Ask a question and get more then just a answer :thumbsup: Have I told you Thank You Welder for setting this site up.... Today.

Glad to hear you are busy and doing OK Jetty. Nothing wrong in packing up some gear and going "North To Alaska". A little Bling to try out on some fish. Snagging some Rocks and checking out the Sato Crimps efficiency.

Prayers out to the Watermen of the GOM.

Funny little story.......... The Commercial Rod Tube was not making the grade on packing. So off to the local Hardware store to make a custom rod tube. A section of Black ABS, two End Caps . Drill a couple breather holes (important) glue one End Cap down and viola a Custom Rod Tube. Packed rods using some long johns. Taping the loose end cap. Not thinking about the TSA.

Of course the TSA wanted to check the tube. They untaped the loose end and the Girls tried to pry the end cap off. Kind of funny seeing them huff and puff turning red trying to pry that stubborn end cap off. I offered to help but was explained "Do not Cross the line of Death" finally they relented to my offers of help. Line of death being adhered to.

Me being a thinking man checked to see the glue line. Ooooooops my bad I taped the glued end :mrgreen: . Spun the rod tube around and popped the end cap. The girls were not amused :hammer: I wonder what they thought of the long johns????
Kenny was redder in the face than I was.

Seriously I did not do that on purpose the First Time or The Second :rotfl: Did I mention Anchorage airport is Beautiful and the most interesting Airport I have seen :mrgreen:

Jetty, Carol is on a Diet and no Oils, Fats,Salt,Sugar or Butter allowed.

Mojo de Ajo Rock fish. Translation Oil based Garlic and Chile Sauce Sauteed Rockfish. No oil was a problem. Substituded no Sodium no Salt Chicken Broth and some of my Sun Dried Red Jalapenos. Baked instead of Sauteed.

A Apricot Nectarine Salsa and steamed shrimp Appetizer.

Shrimp Appetizer

Low fat.... Low calorie.... Dinner fresh from the sea.

Seriousy next report DaddyO's mystery fish and the Texas two step.

:popcorn:

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

One Afternoon, Evening, Night?????? Lost all track of time. My internal clock was sprung. The strange effect of 20 hour day light on us lower 48 Alloy Brethren is astounding.

Anyways..... In Time Forgotten drifting off of Knight Island Daddy'O drops a Octopus Body hooked to a very large circle hook and 1 Lb. weight into the cold abyss. Hoping for the un-mistakeable hit of a large and aggressive Pacific Halibut. Patiently waiting Daddy'O feels the line take off...... the tell tail bend of a rod the signifies Large Fish. The other side of the boat Welder gets bit too Wooooo Hoooo a double of double bent rods. Welder's rod bucking and DaddyO's taking line. The Texans are Talking and a Reeling of what obviously are very nice fish.

Boy that Gaudy rod and reel sure Bends nice and no torque :mrgreen:

DaddyO's fish heads towards the motors. So Does Welders???? The great fisherman that Welder is, realizes that he is tangled in DaddyO's line and free spools his line allowing DaddyO to get out from under the "Patience" and away from the motors.

From the deep we see color the tell tale motled brown with white spots of a large flat fish. Spoiled one and his cat like reflexes grabs a camera to record the victorious battle. His loooooong Arms better than any Movie Set Boom captures a glimpse of the beast. Welder desperately trying to untangle his line.

The pointy end of the fish tries to dive........ Welder's hook barely out of reach........ can he get to it and help his buddy catch his largest fish of the trip or will it get away........... forever in the Table Holiday stories of how the big one got away and what role Welder Played........Year after Year :rotfl: :popcorn:

The Beast twists and flips under water trying one last bid to get away................ Wait a minute Halibut don't have a pointy end what could it be????????????

A large Skate.

Before any one Thumbs their nose at this fish. There is a new PWS commercial fishery for these fish. It is beggining to show up on menu's of some of the top chefs in the world and it gave a very decent tussle.

Way to go Texans :highfive:

Goofing off I drop a sabiki Bait rig down. Thump Thump Thump I get bit.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

This is some great reading, photos, and MoJo recipes :beer:
Tincanman

Post by Tincanman »

Wow! What a great time, great food, great everything.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic