Seattle Boat Show

Get-togethers and fun events
pjay9

Re: Seattle Boat Show

Post by pjay9 »

DUCKWORTH OS baots
ImageImage
I noticed that the scupper system was not that big of a hole and was in a trough affair with the deck plates screwed down lipped panels with seals according to the rep...sure makes it easy to get to all the below deck stuff! But what about flex? I liked the deck coating not really rough ,if you were in bare feet. Yet not slippery! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

here's a nice puller! Looks good, but does it work! Capt PJ

Under swimstep ladder storage.
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Little Klamath...looks well built and light, cabin is not welded to deck or hull from what I can see. Capt PJImage
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

now here's a name for a boat builder...looks like it is in Sitka, AK...not the place in CND... yep it is GRP...you'll see! Image

NOTE! see the banner for the name...RIGHT! :gunner2:

Capt PJ
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

BAMF are made in Washington State. and they are a true Tuna fishing machine. BAMF aka BAD A$$ Mother F***er They named it not I. The little Brutis Pot Puller does work. I have a few friends that own them and they are happy. Mounts on a Scottie Downrigger mount. Folds up for storage. Pulls the Ladner Shrimp Pot at 35lbs.

Pete I Need to go back to the Duckworth and look at the cleaning table I like the drain tubes. I missed that. Plus your secret of slipping in a couple of pictures of Clorox Bottle Boats is safe with me. They were partials :rotfl:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I forgot I posted in this thread I look forward to seeing you John.

I find it funny 3 years ago Burnewiin approached me to make tables for them they took pictures of my tables and when I tried to contact them by email and by phone they never returned my calls or emails. They made a nice looking table but function does not follow, the gaps in the back are too big and can you say plunk for your knife when it slides out the hole? The rod holders in the corner will probably not hold up to any heavy use they don't seem to be anchored very well unless I am missing something. They did at least use Seaboard and the rod holders are possibly bolted through in that case they may work with the 1" material but that table must weight a bunch. I never thought anyone would buy one made from 1" but maybe I am wrong.

The second set of tables made by another company I assume are made from standard white cutting board and will not last in the sun they will become brittle. How do I know that you ask because you can see through the material and see the screws. Standard HDPE is translucent in the sun and is not UV stabalized, you can not see the screws through Seaboard or Starboard designed for direct sunlight. The other critque on those later tables is the exposed screws in the table top to dull your knife and allow bacteria to form in the nooks and crannys Burnewiin actualy got that part right.

I am not picking on any of them but these are things that jump out at me after designing tables to be functional.
Mike
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

What a whirl wind trip we just had. Whewwww. My buddy Shawn and I headed down yesterday on the first ferry out of Nanaimo, hit the border, headed down the Interstate 5 and met up with goatram early afternoon. He was not in a wheel chair for those with inquiring minds ha ha. He hopped in with us cane and all and we all headed down to the show.

I have to say this man is one of the most gracious hosts and good sh*ts I have ever met. Heart of gold. His hospitality, humour, and comradery was second to none.

I took a few pic's of some alloy boats. Not the greatest as we were there for a tuna seminar being put on by Towertodd of the black and red site. We met some fellow BD'ers and they are great folks for sure. Was really cool meeting them.

Some Stabicraft shots(I'm really warming up to these things especially the NW style windshield on the bigger one).

The 28 foot Duckworth that had drool all over it.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

The interior of the Duckworth.

Looking aft on the Duckworth.

Some shots of a cool aluminum radar mount on the Silverstreak.

Wish I took some more shots of alloy but we were there for the tuna seminar mostly and there was alot of bs'ing going on.

Here is the goatman and myself saying goodbye for now earlier this afternoon.(Oh yeah he is one tall and tough SOB ha ha not even a cane today).

Until the next adventure buddy. It was a great trip and I am really glad we met in person. Thank you again to you and your wife for the great hospitality and great meals as she is a real sweet heart and you are a very lucky man. Thank you sir for being you.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram

Post by goatram »

Your Welcome and it was a pleasure to meet you and Shawn. Glad to be of service. Come again ya hear! :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Nice report fellas, thanks for sharing. Wish you coulda got more shots of the Stabi with the trademark Pacific-NW forward leaning cabin windows. Other than just looking badass, is there a practical reason, such as in the time before wipers that helped to shed the spray, etc.?

The Duckworth is a beauty, not much talk about them on here, why? Quality in the photos appears on par with CW to these untrained eyes. That radar mast on the Silver Streak would be 1k better had the designer made symmetrical, aerodynamic looking wings instead of the open channel weld, which is adequate, just not SEXY!
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
StabicraftMarine
Sponsor

Post by StabicraftMarine »

dawgaholic wrote:Nice report fellas, thanks for sharing. Wish you coulda got more shots of the Stabi with the trademark Pacific-NW forward leaning cabin windows. Other than just looking badass, is there a practical reason, such as in the time before wipers that helped to shed the spray, etc.?
There is a lot to it as anyone that has this style will say. To me its space and layout, overhead consoles, less screen glare and like you said, better water run-off. If you stood in the 2570 and 2880 (side by side at the show) after each other, you would notice the difference. Those two boats have the same beam and basic cabin structure.

There are some shots here, not many, just a few from the build. I hope to get a full shoot done after the show for a press release. I'll start a new thread when we do.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3668&p=29883#p29883

Sorry for the thread jack - as you were. Tim
http://www.stabicraft.com

For your nearest dealer...
888 GO STABI (USA)
1800 178 224 (AUS)
0800 478 224 (NZ)

For the Invercargill, NZ factory - 0064 3 2111 828
goatram

Post by goatram »

Tim get Nelly to join up. I talked to.him last Saturday and told him of this site. His red 28' stabi is very distinctive and well know on the water. Hopefully you do post the photos for all to see. It's kinda buried in the corner next to a curtain. Bob Hawley at Boat Country has big display at the show as is dealership just north of Everett
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

dawgaholic wrote:
The Duckworth is a beauty, not much talk about them on here, why? Quality in the photos appears on par with CW to these untrained eyes.
The Duck is pretty but build is easily surpassed by the Coldwater. Very different boats IMO (and very different price too)
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

The Duck is pretty but build is easily surpassed by the Coldwater. Very different boats IMO (and very different price too)
And that should speak volumes as to the difference between in-person lookin' and interweb lookin'. Plus, how so not knowing what I'm looking at I am. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

At least y'all had a lot of fishing boats to look at.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Spent my third day at the show today. Saturday with the wife and kids, Monday on the Lake and back today to really talk to the reps.

Three Rivers/Duckworth spent a good deal talking to me about my needs and is going to get me a quote and some drawings on a 30' with a 116" cabin

stopped at Coldwater and talked a little, need to follow up with email to the discussion.

Talked with a couple of brokers about some used boats that they are representing. Need to go visit the, in the next few weeks. Saw the broker representing the Munson with Steyr diesels/surface drives as well as the broker who just listed aa custom JH Boat out of Friday Harbor.

Not impressed, or not suited to the family were a bunch of other manufacturers. Th Ocean Sport Romer is the closest in non alloy, but at prices approaching $400k. No thanks.

This would all be easy if I won

Howard
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I wonder what a Pacific 28 or 30 with a cabin like you are looking for would cost. It probably would be in your range...I am guessing here, but worth a call.

I am so impressed with every aspect of the construction and performance of my Pacific 23, they would be my first call when it is time to build a larger "fort boat" (as they are called by superfisherman in Florida). :highfive:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Wonder what a Coldwater version of the Oceansport Roamer would price out at with a couple of big Yamahas and a kicker approximately.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

ruggit wrote:Wonder what a Coldwater version of the Oceansport Roamer would price out at with a couple of big Yamahas and a kicker approximately.
Well, a used 37 footer with diesels is selling for $375K. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2816707251.html

I bet a brand new 30 foot CW with twin 300s would be about the same as the OSR.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

We will find out. The ColdWater rep and I talked about a 31' with a 1/4 berth underneath the helm. The idea comes from the Romer's berth underneath the dinette. They have already done the engineering and drawings.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Should add, I rode up to La Conner today (saw 61 degrees!on the way home, and whole bunch of birds that people were photographing) I was hoping to do a drive by of the Munson as I thought it was on the hard there. I did not see the Munson, but there were two Sea Wolfs for sale.

The Pacific crew boat cabin, works, except none of there photos show V berths. It doesn't appear, and I don't know the technical term, but none of there boats have enough depth for V Berths. They might do something custom though.

The goal is to stay as small as possible to contain costs, yet large enough to comfortable for the next 15 years as the kids grow. The two goals seem to diverge pretty quickly.

Having options on the used market and so many builders in the area is a nice problem to have. We were orginnally looking for trawler type boats in metal. Nothing other than the tug has come up. Anything one off is going to be far more expensive than adapting a semi-custom boat to our needs seems to be the way to go. Fuel costs be dammed, if we save it in purchase costs it doesn't matter.

I appreciate everyone providing info and feedback. The boat show was sort of usefull, but we have been on the boat hunt for over a year now. I am hoping to be on the water before summer. We have already planned an extended family gathering on Lopez Island centered around the boat. We might have to rent/charter a boat.

THANK YOU!

Howard
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Howard, you are conducting a smart search and your effort will pay off. Give Pacific a call, they do berths even on a 23' or 26' Supercab sleeper model. http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_027.php One thing that doesn't serve their business well , in my opinion, is that they don't show customers all the things that they do on their website.

Also, I spoke with the nice folks at Armstrong about their 25' last year and was pleased to find it in the range of future afordability. http://www.armstrongmarine.com/Catamara ... fault.aspx
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

It appears that some good times were had at the boat show this year...from all the chat going on. my PhotoBucket shows I up loaded 224 images...now that is a lot of work to post them here and I wouldn't do that to yu'all! I am going to post some of the nice details and boats I saw.

Hewescraft: fitting for steering on bracket
Interior...I heard the sales guy tell a customer that they don't have the space inside the building to build larger vessels...funny comment!
North River

Just some details of Alumaweld:

More to come! Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Thunderjet... note the twin side longitudinal that are pressed/stamped (someone will explain how that is done, I am sure) should add rigidity to the hull in my estimation...is it a good idea?

One thing I did notice that the only boats on display with forward opening windshield doors done correctly was by Thunderjet....As I have a Raider, they do it right also. In the second pic above notice the extension over the top of the center door window that has a slight angle..not only does that meet the roof line to create a good seal it allows for the fellow that is trying to get thru the opening to stand more upright and not hit their head or back on the cross member of the roof...it even allows you to stand in the opening while still behind the deck bulkhead before stepping out forward. When dealing with smaller boats of this style it is a very nice feature indeed! Of course all you with those big walk-arounds don't have this issue!

Still having fun! Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

How about this for a BILLBOARD!!!

And the other boat next to it...this was across from the Sportco booth.

More? Capt PJ
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

BIG WOOLDRIDGE's
I'm not sure I'd like that full glass door! This blue one if I remember, was $270K!

NICE BOATS! BIG BUCKS!
Capt PJ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic