Getting Jiggy "You had to Ask"

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Getting Jiggy "You had to Ask"

Post by mojomizer »

I have always loved jig fishing .......... This has nothing to do with "East Coast vrs. West Coast". I feel techniques from all over the world can apply to building a knowledge base where you can fish the whole water column. I have seen great jig fishermen miss opertunities on catching fish by locking themselves into a few techniques. Posting your ideas are always welcome in building my jigging experience and knowledge.

My gear:

8' Calstar TT670 paired with Penn Baja special with modified drag and dog gear......... 25 lb. Izorline used for light jigging locally. Surface Irons Tady C, Small heavy jig Salas 6X Jr. (and knocking In2Deep's guides off :shock: )

8' Calstar T6480 paired with second Penn Baja special with modified drag and dog gear........... 100 lb. Spider Wire Stealth 6' of 50 lb. Seguar Flourocarbon leader attached by sampo swivel. Yo Yo jigging deep. Salas PL68 in glow paint and 10 oz. diamond jig. On occasion Salas 6X Jr. for Yellowtail.

8' Graphite USA Wahoo jig stick paired with Shimano 30 Torsa........... 85 lb. Jerry Brown Spectra, Sato crimp 60 lb. Izorline topshot. Yo Yo jigging PL68 glow paint. Salas 4/0 blue and Chrome. Guadalupe Island tuna and yellowtail

5'8" XXH Trevala paired with Shimano 20 Torsa........... 100 lb Spider Wire Butterfly jigs Generally 200 Gr.

On order from JPR rods (funny Jetty orders from West Coast and I am ordering from East Coast):

Acid Wrapped Jigging Master 350 G paired with a Accurate Extreme B2 665 N

Acid Wrapped Jigging Master 500 G paired with a Accurate Extreme B2 30

On order from Anglers Pro Shop:

Zenaq MB 860 H paired with Accurate Extreme B2 50 :deadhorse: :deadhorse: I know I know being a tackle ho is a disease. Need to join AA............. Anglers Anonymous.

Seems the East Coast guys have really picked up on the Speed jigging techniques going for Slob Bluefin, Whale Cod and Amberjacks. Love to Hear from you.

Still the West Coast jiggers Love their 8' jig sticks ............. but when the cows come to play ouch :nutkick: but is deadly on medium to large fish.

Want to ask me about my jigs? Fishing All conditions and water columns.

Tight lines

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Getting Jiggy "You had to Ask"

Post by JETTYWOLF »

what kills me is the Japanese and "east coasters" use such more detailed and exotic jigs, and ya'll use them jigs that look like just like pieces of painted metal.
You know what I mean.....IE: ""Anglers Pro Shop"" ??

Although I do like the plain look and action of a Norwegian jig.

Just so you know the history.....

Here on the East coast (can't speak for any of the Yankee fleet) but here the standard jig rod was long and kinda whippy too, like your 8 footers. And we used giant jigs......"heavy lead".
From Amberjacks to Snappers, Cobia...... this was the standard, prior to the Japanese butterfly jigs.
And still the main "party boat" deep fish jigger. From N. Fla to the Keys.

So Mark, your spending the "chillens" inheritance on those rods huh and reels huh?
I suppose when it comes to HI-DOLLAR, we do need someone to take over Marty's place on the wall of fame when it comes too premium tackle and loads of it.
Yer, my kinda guy!

(you do know that the Accurate jig rods are Calstar blanks, right?)

I'm so into "Big Trout Tracking", I've sold all my "jiggers" (rods, case, jigs, line, leaders) and am replacing the tackle with more and more Trout rods. Some custom builds (LOCALLY!!!!!!!!) ands some cheapos, that just plain get the J-O-B done. Float-rigging, in my river is so back yard for me, that heading offshore is just not where I spend any time. I don't love Trout because they fight like a mule, or get as big as a cousin, (your white seabass) but what you have to do to catch larger ones (5 plus pounds to 10 pounds) It's like getting caught up in Fly fishing for a massive Brookie in Colorado...that's a 1/4 pound!

Why do I not see photos of ya'll catching any of those white seabass....which I did find out are a distant cousin (much larger)
to a Weakfish here on the east coast. SAME EXACT HEAD & MOUTH
WEAKFISH on left, SPECKLED TROUT on right.....(cousins)
I knew that had to be they have a seatrout type head and body.
If I was there, It's the fish I'd want to catch....and a biggy, too.
They'd remind me of my Trout, just JURASIC!

Hard to find, hunt?

Okay, I'm ready for all out jiggy-fish photos and discussion. Lets see those JIGGY caught fish!!!!! :shock:
I guess, YOUR BACK??????
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Well geeze Jetty I was hoping this discussion would have been more about tackle and techniques, even jigging for your Jetty trout. I really do feel that some of the left coast jigging practices would be beneficial in catching fish all over the world.

It seems that the deep jigging/mechanical jigging/speed jigging/Japanese jigging/butterfly jigging and probably called a multitude of other names is getting quite popular back East. Out here on what I have seen people try a few Butterfly jigs and put them away in the dark recesses of their tackle box. I have fished this style and it becomes quite addicting and will use it trying to adapt it's technique to the fish I choose to chase.

Those Norwegian jigs sure look like Bomber jigs we use out here http://www.lurenet.com/productdetail.aspx?id=bswj11204

So let me get the fishy picture out of the way and then lets talk tackle, techniques and it's possible application where ever it may be used.

Some of these you may have already seen but all caught on jigs.

This picture was taken in Loreto BCS. 8' Calstar T6480 fast taper rod not all that whippy, Salas 6X Jr. jig Mackeral pattern.
Sorry for the graininess it was scanned.

Same rod and jig on another trip out.

This area was interesting. Later that day we beached the boat in the cut there was water in front of us holding Yellowtail and water behind us that held tasty Cabrilla. It was fun casting jigs for Yellowtail then spinning around a walking 5 feet and cast for Cabrilla.

This spot was incredible The fog bank rolling around the point and if you look carefully you can see a spot of Yellowtail breezing by. Calstar 270-8 Tady C surface iron watching the fish chase the lure on the surface then inhaling the jig in a explosion of water.

A beatiful scenic picture cactus growing on a pinicle. Hungry fish on the bottom but lots of line eating rocks. Button down the drag toss the jig out and wind and pull the line like a mad man.

Out of San Diego The decks ran red on a ripper of a bite. Calstar 270-8 Blue and chrome Tady C multiple fish boiling on the lure before a screaming drag. "Yes my friend the sea was angry that day"

Maybe this year someone can photograph me with a White Seabass on the jig. They are called the "grey ghost" and that name fits. In the spring when they are spawning. Boats and fish can get frantic but not really my cup of tea. Who knows maybe I will get into that cluster but I doubt it.

Let Talk about all types of jigging gear. Do you fish plastic swim baits on light line for your Jetty Trout??????

Regards
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Jetty Trout & Redbass (aka: Redfish) Killers:

First and foremost....."the "float freaks" float rig & a sprightly live river cricket. (aka: Shrimp)
#1 bait for all fish,
7" local shrimp
7" local shrimp
7 INCH BAIT SHRIMP.gif (24.03 KiB) Viewed 6171 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y2pPE5-IcM
"How to" - float-rig
"How to" - float-rig
Float-rig---2.jpg (4.46 KiB) Viewed 6170 times
My reels: Shimano Curado 300 DSV & Citica 200 DSV -hi speed.
LO-PRO reels, Hi-speed, braid line only.
LO-PRO reels, Hi-speed, braid line only.
12-12-8.gif (91.89 KiB) Viewed 6172 times

Second for me, "cause I hate constant snags in the jetty", is a "jig & shrimp combo meal"
1/4 to 1/2 oz non-painted, bronze hook. Real simple, but ya better know "HOW" to fish.
Put a live shrimp on it toss it into the jetty rocks, bump it down to the bottom slowly.

Lures:
For me there's only two.
D.O.A. SHRIMP 1/4 or 1/2 oz.
tossed up to jetty, and "not" jigged but just pulled along as it sinks over the 10 ton granite boulders.
And the MirrOLure 52MR: "twitch bait" KILLER slow sinking, rattling TROUT SLAYER!
Top water: I LOVE WOOD & PROPS. This resebles a wounded Mullet (baitfish) and does it oh so well.
Wooden "Luhr Jensen" - Jerk'n Sam
Wooden "Luhr Jensen" - Jerk'n Sam
5-26-1.png (212.48 KiB) Viewed 6172 times
Larger live baits:
POGIES - aka: Menhaden........"Bunka'" to the Northern folk.
Cast net full
Cast net full
pogies-2.gif (91.75 KiB) Viewed 6170 times
From Giant Redfish to Tarpon and Sharks, King Mackerel, Dolphin, Tuna, Flounder, Grouper, Snapper, Wahoo, AJ's, you name it.

Vertical jigging in our river and inlet can't really be done that well with a "jig" as you know it.
Too much current.
When ya say "JIG" here, we think of a lead-head inshore.

For all inshore - River, nearcoastal, jetties fishing. I just grab my float rig rod; 8 foot Biscayne "F'glass" rod, parabolic whip stick, and a Loomis Bucara 8 footer for pitching jigs (leadheads) and 10 dozen live shrimp. And I'm good, for the whole day. NOOOOOOOOO spinning gear ever!
No need for multiple outfits or techniques. The jig and shrimp combo meal or my float rigged, live shrimp is all I need.

It's in the video's I sent ya.....lots of jigging, some lure playing. But no float-rigging.

(others may say spinning rods, jigs and Gulp...I say whatever...I'm in the K.I.S.S. business myself)

I know ya' don't have much "inshore" as I know it waters. But I have decided I'm not an offshore guy, although I can talk about it with the best of them, because I've done lots of it and like it. But my river and jetties are in my back yard.
Too easy to go fishing ( I'm heading out now for a while) 6 minutes from my house, I'm in water and heading to jetties.
Use maybe a gallon of gas, versus way too much heading offshore.

Catch a dang White Sea bass, will ya!! Or as I call'em...a giant T-rex sized west coast Trout.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I hear ya Jetty. Them shrimps are probably the most effective way in getting your customers consistently bit. When the trout are biting so wide open ......... for farts and giggles I would try a 5" Berkley Jerk Shad rigged weedless.

Hey contrary to beliefs we Californian's have alot of near shore structure to fish. Locally the Long Beach harbor break-wall is around 7 miles long. This winter quite a few 30 lb. Halibut were caught in this vicinity. There are some guys that go out and and catch 30-50 Calico and Sandbass on plastic swimbaits and light line. One guy has made a good living out here guiding in the local bays. Further south in San Diego bay we can catch Bonefish ( yes the Florida flats type).

I feel that learning all about what other fishermen are using around the world can make us better fishermen. Though my old standard jigs look plain compared to the new Japanese style jigs. If you saw how they swim and how fish react to them maybe it could enhance their Grouper, Tilefish, Cod, Amberjack, Bluefin experience. As well as I using the footage in your video or your float/bobber rig has applications out here. The shrimps I'll eat :lol:

I would love to hear what others are doing with their Deep Jigging rigs out in your neck of the woods or for that matter up in the Northeast.

Lets share your favorite rigging ideas and fishing style guys and gals.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Live shrimp just are not a customer thing...I use nothing but live bait 95% of the time, myself. Lures are fine,I play once inawhile but usually will toss it aside after casting and casting with no bites. I'll catch 10-1 "whatevers" on a shrimp compared to lures, Specialy at the inlet. I LOVE.....I.G. - instantaneous gratification.

But because I be the jetty wolfie, I can do pretty well on lures,
MirrOlure 52MR, and DOA shrimp, because I know exactly where and when they will work and not work.

Isn't it funny, live bait inshore for me always, then when I do go offshore I'll use plugs, spoons and jigs?
Maybe thats when "I" want to do something different.

I can tell ya, from what I hear around here. Jigging is okay, but don't leave the dock with out some kind of bait.

Had a little squid (we call em cuttles) eating my live shrimp on my float rig yesterday, as I trout fished. Rare happening.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic