Before the Market tanked.

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Before the Market tanked.

Post by mojomizer »

Ordered These before the the Market really tanked.

Jigging Master 350 and 500 gram.

Wrapped by JPR Rods .......... Acid Wrapped guides. Kind of wierd to look at but amazingly comfortable on the hands.

Accurate BX2 Extereme 500 and 600.

Feeling guilty I bought them but should last for a very long time. I love jigging for fish and will use them where ever I go.
S.L Dave lets go fish out of San Diego and get some Yellowtail.

Mark
Last edited by mojomizer on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Re: Before the Market tanked.

Post by S L Dave »

I've never seen those! Let's use em!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I love the wraps!! I have to give a lot of :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to people that can take the time and make wraps that make my mind spin. Its like art for fishermen.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Don't feel bad.....you've done a great job contributing to the wellbeing of the economy :grin:

As a mater of fact I just got my new Avet LX6 in :clap:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Mark,

Thats some mighty fine tackle ya have there. (Marty would be proud of ya.)

They are hierlooms......so I hope you keep them in a large gun cabnet locked down???

Never been into the "spiral" wrapped guides (on east coast) Acid (on the left coast).

Kinda of a transexual fishing rod, aren't they? But those red Accurates sure do stand out nice.
Two speeds huh.....wow. 100-200 pound Tuna tackle. Long Range boat trip time again??
I have a aquaintence....that works on one of those boats, and says ya'lls tackle out there is outrageous, specially the guys on the LR boats. He calls it Hollywood fishin'.
heheheheheh......

So? When we gonna see fish worthy of those? That's what keeps my tackle in the K.I.S.S. catagory. Can't get too fancy for the fish I catch. They maybe over done by the rod and reels combo I used to catch them.

So your ready for speed jigging some Aussie Dog Tooths from 250 feet?
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I thank you for the kind words all. Carolmizer eyeing me with a questioning eye but accepting I am a tackle junkie. Living in a land fraught with temptation. Calstar,Shimano,Accurate,Avet,Diawa, Seeker, Melton International, Charkbait, all call my neighborhood home and within 45 minute ride for factory tours and Shiny new tackle.

Those Super Seeker Rods are beckoning but my rod selection is complete. Bringing my rod wrapper out of mothballs to fix some rods and maybe wrap a few customs :lol: for Carol.

Super Dave we are going to catch some spring time Yellowtails and chase up some White Seabass soon, using these Jigging Sticks.

AT Yep thats it..... My very own economic stimulus package. I love my Avets ........... I am sure you'll be catching some slob Bluefin with them. From what I am hearing is that this year they are going to be a larger grade of fish. Are you going to be using spectra with a top shot? If so what kind of connection are you going to use? Been playing with the Sato crimps, just not comfortable using them just yet . Been trying the PR knot just in case.

21ftcc I agree rod wrapping is at times Art. You should see In2Deeps rods and custom rod wrapping machine.(Hint Hint)

Jetty found out the hardway the bad guys rip out the bolted down gun case. Transexual????? :shock: you make me laugh. Damn I guess they are a little Liberace.......... you still scare me.

Spiral wraps have been around since the early 1900's they just never caught on. My dad was telling me about them in the 1970's.

Kiss system huh. I bet you still have all sorts of interesting stuff. Michael Jackson would be proud of the Glove it. Your Accurates are locked and loaded to kill Ginormous Redfish or fun Blacktips. From what I hear Hollywood has nothing on Florida for the bling factor.

Aluminum alloy Reels for Aluminum Alloy boats
What better combination.

Mark
Last edited by mojomizer on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Mark, YUP!!! BIG Tuna this year if they return :thumbsup: I'm thinkin they will average 69"-75" size range.....

I've had great luck with the "Red Phillips" Knot. Very quick to tie and extremely strong :thumbsup:

Now I gotta go to Cabela's tonight and get a nice jigging rod to finish out my "AlloyToy" stimulus :rotfl: Hmmmmmm what else do I need :skipper:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

AT can you post a little about the "Red Philips" Knot. Ignorant me has never heard of that one.
What stick are you picking up????

Time too start fishing is here.
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Deno

Post by Deno »

mojomizer wrote:long time.
S.L Dave let go fish out of San Diego and get some Yellowtail. Mark
I'll buy the beer and carne asada for the after party :lol: Yes, lets kill lots of fish this season :skillet:
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Mark,
I bought a Shimano Tallus 7' MH with a MF taper........also picked up some new Stren Dyneema (sp) CHA CHING :rotfl:
and 2 rod holders for the kayak, a camo face net for my son for turkey season, and a bag of Cabela's jelly beans :rotfl:

Economy & stimulus my azzzzzzzz people were throwing $$$$$ everywhere at Cabela's :clap:

John /AT
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Mark,

you maybe talking too high tech for me now with the PR knot, the Sato connections and all that. Ya got yer Bobbin?

Hey in Miami....the only Bling place around here it's a "Bimini twist" on nuthin.....they just like saying, "Bimini", I think......wonder what that translates to in Cuban??

Gotta remember, Giant Tuna are a rarity in HOT water. Here in J-ville a 60 pound Yellowfin raises eye brows and most likely cost you a 80++ mile boat ride one way!! Unless you get really lucky.
This area produces some monster Wahoo, still a very long ride in Jan. Feb. March. I've seen locally caught ones over 125 pounds. What a Gator sized fish!

Transexual meaning.....Spinning and casting rod combined.
Remember spinners are the anti-reel to me.

You'd laugh at my stuff.....I went back to the basics and tradition. My Trout/Redfish, inshore float-rig fishing rods are 8' glass, and so are my Tarpon/Shark, heavy trolling. Fast taper graphite, I just grew out of. I even went all EVA, no cork.
Super durability I learned is what I need. Found a great, fast, and in Florida builder I can trust.

So when ya gonna come over to the East side?
You, Scott, and SL Dave.....what a crew that would be, huh?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Mark,
Here's the knot

http://www.theburningreel.com/forums/fi ... -knot.html

When we were in the Keys fishing we had a Cuban mate......his idea of a "Bimini Twist" included rolling papers :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: This worked best for him while he was cleaning the boat after a long day of fishing....

My favorite rods are still Ugly Sticks, available everywhere, cheap & durable.....
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thanks AT since we have a Clearing wind going on here. I'll play with that one. I wonder if I will get in trouble attaching Maggiemizer by harness to the end of my line ............ have her run on grass???????? Carolmizer's cats are deathly afraid of my bass rod with cat toy attached. One of my first saltwater rigs that I bought on my own is a uglystick it still survives today. Dang that rod is at least a couple decades old plus 5.

Deno buying beers and carne asada. I am all over it. :highfive:

Regards
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
longranger

Post by longranger »

I have been using Sato crimps for anything heavier than 40# for about 3 years now. I use 2 crimps of the smallest size that will fit without damaging the line spaced about 1" apart. Have used the usual two step glues and even crazy glue with zero failures to date. The Bimini to albright takes me way longer to execute than threading line about 3' or more into hollowcore and crimping. To make things easier/faster with the lighter hollowcore use a knot-less splice to make your terminal 10 yds of spectra a higher pound test than the main line. Makes the threading much easier. Never have used hollow below 80 #.

For connections to 40# and lower I keep things real simple with a uni to uni connection.

Fished a few spirals this past year. Nice comfortable rods but honestly they did not feel different than a well made conventional wrap to me. Lightest fished 25#. Heaviest 130#.
CarolMizer

Post by CarolMizer »

:deadhorse:

Wow, is it just me or is EVERYONE seeing 2 (TWO) RED "tackle toys" in those Mojo pictures?? Hmmmmm. Hey HONEY!! You showed me only ONE and that was ONLY because your lovely "BETTER HALF" found the ummmmm receipt for new stuff.... Yeah, I am SEEING double red. I think it was over a year ago that I HINTED on that BLUE rod? No worries, I have had other stuff to worry about, this can be put on the shelf.

:nutkick: Love ya Babe....:mrgreen:
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

TraderMizer wrote::deadhorse:

Wow, is it just me or is EVERYONE seeing 2 (TWO) RED "tackle toys" in those Mojo pictures?? Hmmmmm. Hey HONEY!! You showed me only ONE and that was ONLY because your lovely "BETTER HALF" found the ummmmm receipt for new stuff.... Yeah, I am SEEING double red. I think it was over a year ago that I HINTED on that BLUE rod? No worries, I have had other stuff to worry about, this can be put on the shelf.

:nutkick: Love ya Babe....:mrgreen:
Utt oh... You're BUSTED!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thanks for the info Long Ranger ....... by the way are you going to the meet and greet???????

Hey baby it's a photoshop illusion???????? Seeing red was like seeing red rods right. You know if I wanted to hide the goods they would be at work and the reciepts burned like yesterdays trash. The Blue Rod was from Deep Color Custom Rods ask Jettywolf about Deep Color Custom Rods............. Dang it you caught me, they were a surprise Anniversary Gift. A his and hers commemoration of our love. Red like red roses showing non-judgemental unconditional love.

Well boys looks like I need to find another site to post on.

Moderators nows a good time to moderate .............. moderators hello .........mod

Signing Out
Mark

PS new name will be "Bumper Boy"
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I don't get it, when I see the picture, I see this.

:rotfl:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

21ftcc Bifocals and beer do not mix well. Thanks guys Carols a good sport and she'll get some usage out of these rods and reels. Probably taking her on a multi-day trip for her first Yellowtail.

Hello my name is Mark, I am a tackle junkie and I have been clean for 3 days :oops:

Oooooohh shiny, Mark like shiny. Fred hall show in Del mar who's going????

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Hi Mark nice to meet you.

I have a confession to make. I too am a Fishaholic. I was able to quit cold turkey years ago in order to spend all of my time clubbing and getting in trouble. Unfortunately 5 or so months ago I was pulled back into this fishing hell where I catch nothing, but still continue to fish for that perfect fight. I try to go out once a week (believe me if I could I'd live on the beach and fish my life away (I need help)) and if I don't make it out that weekend I feel lost.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Welcome brother. I see you cannot turn down puppies either. How is Shelby doing? You will get your cod come April. Get your gear ready ..........Maybe some hammered diamond jigs??????? Dang it ..........It's a disease.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Carol, Mark told me those rods and reels were a GIFT to ME and they were from the BOTH of you , uh , yeah that's it , a gift to welder .
Cuz welder lives so far out on the back 40 that the Brown Santa Clause [ UPS ] can't get here. :rotfl:

But really, Mark , I would prefer the Blue ones so ya miles well keep the red ones till the Blue comes available .

Carol , I think you would look HOT with Pink set up's . Really . :highfive:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
CarolMizer

Post by CarolMizer »

Don't worry too much about Mojo, I don't breath fire or anything...
BUT

Carolmizer, Pasadena Fire Dept, MICN paramedic training.

Fred Hall , Del Mar, way too many chances to relapse. Can't wait to go!!
Carol-------> I'm with Mojo
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

A woman in Bunker Gear , :highfive:

Mojo, Buddy, She has been Trained.

Let it be said, let it be written.

:joecool:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

Those are some great looking setups in the first post :thumbsup:
I like the new BX-600 reels but I wish that Accurate had decided to market a wide version as they had originally announced. The 600 actually holds less line than the 665W and line capacity is crucial when target these SBFT here on the east coast. In speaking with them, they revealed that they believe you should step up to the B2-30 for more line capacity but unfortunately that reels weighs 36 oz which might be tough on day long jigging trips. I am going to put on one a OTI or JM rod and see how they feel before I decide. I am also looking at either a Stella 20000SW or Twinspin 50 for a spin jig setup...although the high gear ratio might be a problem when cranking on bigger fish.

I hear a lot of discussion concerning knots here and was wondering if any of you has tried using hollow core braid and using leader splices or loop to loop connections on your jigging setups. I am experimenting with running a main line of Jerry Brown hollow core braid into which I will splice/serve 100 yds solid OTI depthfinder braid( which will allow my clients to more precisly drop on suspended fish). On the end of the OTI I will then splice on 10 ft of JB hollow into which I will splice my 10 ft fluro leader. The benefit of using this setup is that you avoid the use of any knots which no matter how well tied ,never reach 100% line strength. I used a similiar setup (minus the depth finder line) on my ground fish jig rods last year and had only one failure when a Giant BFT decided to eat a cod a client was reeling up. We had the fish on for over a minute and the line broke at the dropper loop in the 130 lb bite leader I use. This is exactly where the rig should have failed as that knot is the weakest link. The tell-tail on the splices showed no sign of movement what-so-ever.

I have been reading reports from guys who are jig fishing in the NC right now and are experiencing numerous break offs from both reel and knot failures do to the large size (150-200 lbs+) of the fish they are finding. It could just be that these fish could just be too much to handle on jigging gear unless one wants to use 50 class rod/reels to jig with. I plan though to setup a couple heavy duty jig combos just to target these guys when they get here in June and see what happens...what the heck....its only money. :mrgreen:
Capt. G
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic