Before the Market tanked.

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
CarolMizer

Re: Before the Market tanked.

Post by CarolMizer »

Now Les, I KNOW you were kidding about the PINK setup, RIGHT... PINK is so not my style, but I did look into getting one anyway, was debating on which one since there was a surplus of pinks available at the Fred Hall show in Del Mar...
So, here it is

On a fantastic note..
With the great fishing master, Mark as her diligent, dedicated fishing coach... Maggiemizer entered the extremely stressful all eyes on the competition, casting event...
Using an unfamiliar rod and reel, casting a strange lure (ball tied to the line), Maggie made several attempts to sink her line into a 5 gallon bucket from 25 feet out. As, "LAST CAST", was called out, and with a last minute adjustment for a strong wind, she cast high and to the left...

With a large crowd watching, she sunk that lure (ball) into the back bucket, NOTHING BUT "NET"!!!!!!! The crowd was roaring! Her prize... a Daiwa SHOCK rod and reel.... yes, we were all in shock...

YES THATS MY BABY. :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:
It was a great Sunday outing for the Mizer family. (Mark was on his best behavior, looking but not touching the gear today)
Carol-------> I'm with Mojo
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Way to go MaggieMizer Carol & Mark , well done .

Carol , I would not put you in Pink , I was just kidding , I think the Blue is awesome though.

You Girls did not let Mark like go to the bathroom or go get Food by himself did ya ...........And if so , do you think he had time to get to the car and back with out y'all knowing it ?

:joecool:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hey I have been hijacked :shock: Moderator moderator :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talk about a Hail Mary cast............. Wow in a 15 mph cross wind. Still shaking my head.

Capt. G thank you for the kind words. The rod and reel sure feels nice and will put them through some tests this spring. I have been watching (Drooling) the fishing reports coming in from North Carolina I think one guy is thinking he was rushing his connections.

I am using Jerry Brown Hollowcore and will be using the Sato Crimping system. Seems alot of the top sticks in the San Diego long range scene are using this on 300+++ lbs. Yellowfin Tuna. I am also a believer in a short top shot but do worry that this might increase the hook pulling on extended fights.

As some of us fishermen push the limits on using ever smaller gear with higher drag settings on large strongwilled fish line capacity will be a limiting factor (Cannot imagine line getting any thinner........ people will start missing fingers). How many yards of line do you think are needed on the SBFT?

I have been thinking BX2-30 and a BX2-50 but will cross that road when the need arises.

The new spinning reels sure are not my generations "cofee grinders" People are catching some monster fish on those Stellas and Twinspins.

Hope you have a great season and will enjoy seeing you posing will some slob bluefin.

Mark

Oh look into Glow Salas PL68 jigs They may not look special but they sure do work well on large tuna and cod out here.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

Mark... I have never tried the Sato crimps...I understand they are very popular on the west coast. The only concern I would have would be if they would damage the rod eyes when passing through. Do you put something over the crimp (shrink wrap) to smooth it? I know if you get even the smallest nick in that top eye and are using braid you can plan on donating your jig/plug to the fish gods on the first hard cast or hook up.

Looking at these fish in NC and projecting what they will be in 6 months after feeding up here on Stellwagen's bait shop I think come September we might be reaching the point that they cannot be taken on a regular basis with "light" tackle as they will be simply to big. I am sure some top gun will land a 250+ on a fly rod and say it can be done but for the majority of anglers this will not be the case. BFT in my opinion are one of, in not the hardest fighters in the water and even though I have caught quite a few I am still amazed at the power and tenacity of these fish. Now fighting these fish on 30 or 50 class standup trolling gear will still be a great fight and it will ensure a better chance of surival for the fish you release. This issue of the effect of prolonged fights on a tuna's survival rate is another topic in itself.

Line capacity, drag and boat handling will be the keys in trying to land these fish on light tackle. On Stellwagen Bank water depth is not deep as most fish are taken between 100 and 300 ft. The problem is this class of reels can only put out around 30-35lbs drag so you need the capacity to let them run hard and then a captain who can position his boat to put you on top of the fish fast so you can finish him off while the fish is still hurting.

I have been looking at both spin and conventional reels and have narrowed it to Twin Spin 50 or Stella 20000SW / B2-30 or B2-50. I am going to the Canyon Runner seminar next Saturday in CT and hope to put my hands on rods and reels and talk to the canyon guys about what they are seeing and doing. I always enjoy meeting and talking with other fisherman as I am always looking for new and better techniques.

Thanks for the jig recommendation...I will give one a try up here.

Tight Lines
Capt. G
CarolMizer

Post by CarolMizer »

Mojo needs a moderator?
Can't imagine why... (Welder, Jetty, am I in trouble???) :wink:

Have to say that you have STIMULATED THE ECONOMY with the FANCY RED GEAR.

BUT, With the changes that have been made to accomodate the situation, Maggiemizer has found a wonderful way of boosting HER fishing toy box inventory, SHE WORKED THE SYSTEM and got her stuff for FREE!!!
After also winning some fishing line at the same show, she is all set. Ok, so I did not get the PINK mini rod and reel, I can live with that. My most important mizers have their toys...:roll:

Don't worry Les, after Maggies amazing casting win, Mark was walking the show rather stunned, HAIL MARY OR NOT, SHE BEAT OUT THE BOYS!!
Carol-------> I'm with Mojo
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hello Captain G, What I plan on putting on my crimps is what I think is named Pliobond it is used by flyrodders. Some people are using Teflon tape, the kind that plumbers use. Technically the specialized soft aluminum and or brass crimps should be soft enough. Sic guides are being mechanically tested as we speak by the manufacturer Garry Sato. He will be posting his finding in a couple weeks.

Jerry Brown Industries........... http://www.jerry-brown-industries.com/841.html
His new site is starting up and many areas are under construction any questions they answer pretty quickly. An interesting fact is Jerry actually has said to use a overhand knot to make connections of hollowcore to solid spectra...................

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/View ... 3A21%27%7D

Cannot forget Basil wind ons............. http://www.bhptackle.com/index.php

What I like about his site (Captain G I know you know this stuff but maybe others will find this interesting.)............

http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=6

Sato crimps......................................... http://satocrimpandwinder.com/photogallery.htm

What can I say I like the pictures. Still practicing alot of different knots. This crimping thing takes some practice too.
Thankyou for all your input.

Hope I am contributing something....... Take Care
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
longranger

Post by longranger »

Spectra to mono/flouro connections is an important topic that is appropriately being rediscussed multiple times a year on every major fishing forums. Always here a lot of strong opinions but the most experienced ones such as captains and crews running successful charter operations recognize that the job can be done with properly tied knots, serves, crimps or a combination of them to suit the fishing situation.

Passing on information from some very long threads from 40# terminal line down properly executed knots do the job just fine. The golden standard is a bimini to an albright but many simpler knots work well and are both faster and easier to do. Try a few different ones at home untill you are proficient and you won't worry about fancier solutions for connections in these line classes.

From 50 up to 130 you pretty much have the full menu of choices. At 130 and above the size of the knot becomes a real issue unless you are fishing an ultra short topshot of 4 or 5'. A bimini to albright with 130 and above does tend to stick a little in anything but a rod with wind on roller guides. Yes they do clunk through smaller rollers and conventional guides but it sure does not inspire confidence. Common sense tells most fishermen that this must eventually weaken the connection particularly if it occurs with line under heavy tension multiple times during a back and forth battle with a big fish. Maybe so but for every good knot based connection that fails there will be many many more that fail at the hook or in the last couple of feet of line where the fish can inflict direct damage.

For 150# up knots become difficult to tie consistently and are pretty big even if perfect. Serves and crimps both work well. Both require practice to get good at. If you don't have the time or patience to do them right buy the superb windons from Basil at BHP or other respected local source you trust.

Sort of late in this particular post but if you want to make a direct connection to the spectra without loops or a bimini hollowcore spectra is required. That can be all your backing or just the last few yards via a splice.

Serving is almost an artform and in my opinion a little harder to get good at than crimping. Almost anyone can become proficient at crimping after a session or two with someone experienced helping you. Basically not much can go wrong if you double crimp and use the smallest crimp that can fit on the mono/flouro. A good guide is that if the crimp slides easily over the spectra with mono inside with fingers only try the next smaller crimp. Using the smaller holes on the crimping pliers gives you leverage to push and slide the crimp if it is a little tight. Obviously too tight and you can damage the line. Use common sense. Also always use a good glue meant for this application. The correct hole size to set your crimps is the one that barely keeps the plier tip open 1mm or so. After crimping and applying glue the connection should not move. If it does then you need to use the next smaller hole on the pliers but be very careful to only put as much pressure as needed to get the crimp so it won't slide on the line. Any harder damages the line.

The Question as to whether the crimps damage guides bugs us all but the aluminum and brass crimps available today are too soft to damage steel or modern ceramic guides. The most reasonable worry is a sharp edge getting caught on a ceramic ring and popping it out, particularly with the tip guide. For that reason some people put a bigfoot or winthrop roller on the tip even if all the other guides are conventional.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Wow took me a while to absorb all that great information. Threading the flourocarbon into the hollow core has been a pain for me. I was trying to avoid threading needles but so far have made some ugly connections. :banghead: :banghead:
The Flouro seems to want to push out the sides. The Red phillips knot is pretty cool when in a hurry.

So Long Ranger are you coming to the Meet and Greet? We would love to have you and your family out there fishin and BBQing with us.

Take Care
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic