Left Coast Spinners

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Left Coast Spinners

Post by IN2DEEP »

No, I'm not talking about those, so get your mind out of the gutter! :rotfl:

This isn't a real fish report, so I'll post it here
Fished on my buddy's FG Skipjack... It's nice to be a passenger now and then :wink:
My buddy Tony hooks up to something big, so I put down the rod and grab the camera.

We've been getting into using spinning gear for the last 3-4 years for a change of pace and to level the playing field while fighting the fish with light tackle.

Out here on the West Coast, conventional (revolving spool) reels are the norm for most experienced saltwater anglers and frankly, are made fun of by the ones that don't know what they're missing when it comes to having a good time on light tackle.

We are using Shimano Spheros 4000 reels, spooled with 150 yds of 30lb. braid and a short top shot of 12-20 lb mono(2-3 ft) and 8 1/2 ft Shimano Clarus salmon/steelhead rods that are rated for 8-17 lb line. We use this rod for it's reasonable cost, light weight, decent lifting power and lifetime warranty.

What makes this set-up so effective is the braided line and the smooth drag systems that a good reel provides.

In the video, Tony is using his extra set-up which has the Spheros 4000 but a 7' Clarus rod that is rated for 8-15 lb. test line.

Here's a video of a recent prized catch (caught in our back yard) that took some skill to land... enjoy :razz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIuUKnMSQt0

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Left Coast Spinners

Post by Chaps »

Great battle on light gear! To top it off that there is absolutely the best eatin' fish there is . . . :highfive:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Deno

Post by Deno »

Nice!!! Congrats :thumbsup: I want one too..
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

NICE fish and well done :highfive:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Thanks guys!
Had a good time putting it together.

Jettywolf, Some little birdy says to be sure to tell you that it is definitely not a Sea Trout :wink: :mrgreen:
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deno

Post by Deno »

IN2DEEP wrote:Thanks guys!
Had a good time putting it together.

Jettywolf, Deno says to be sure to tell you that it is definitely not a Sea Trout :wink: :mrgreen:
Fooker :grin:
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Who, Me?

I concur. Not a Sea Trout :wink:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That's one phat Sea Trout!

Almost too light of tackle for the Jettywolf. I don't like fights that long. (thats why I fish for our little trout)

I believe deep jigging now that I've done it is easier with spinners.

But just remember, back in the day Pflueger came out with the "EGGBEATERS" aka: Spinning reels. For people who didn't fish enough.

Do I have to remind everyone again.....(don't try this at home, unless your thumb is educated, eggbeater's hahahahahahaha)

http://www.takemefishing.org/community/ ... /thumbs-up
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I sitting here watching the video and WONDERING! Why do we do this? Well the feeling of landing a fish is GREAT and what a rush when it is done on light tackle or is a big one or whatever...it is the FEELING! Hard to explain to someone who doesn't fish! After a long while of not fishing almost 15 years, I SURE AM GLAD I REDISCOVERED THE THRILL!! Just getting the little shaker on the other day was fun and made it a kick.

I look forward to the next time out! BTW, last night when doing one of my tours I passed a sweet wood Chris-Craft SEA SkIFF, it had been restored and was the stand up cuddy version (don't know what it was marketed as) with a the sweet lines and lapstrake hull...got to appreciate it! I remember as a teenager going to look at boats to buy in the 60's in So Cal with my Great Uncle...that was one he was considering...he had a Caddy convertible that we went driving around in to look...he didn't buy anything as I guess the old witchy Great Aunt got the last word...I guess that was one of my LIFE'S lessons...that stuck with me! I digress...see what WONDERING does for you!

NICE FISH! What did it come in at? Is there a light tackle record you may have been able to register with? Good Fishing to all. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

pjay9 wrote:I sitting here watching the video and WONDERING! Why do we do this? Well the feeling of landing a fish is GREAT and what a rush when it is done on light tackle or is a big one or whatever...it is the FEELING! Hard to explain to someone who doesn't fish! After a long while of not fishing almost 15 years, I SURE AM GLAD I REDISCOVERED THE THRILL!! Just getting the little shaker on the other day was fun and made it a kick.

NICE FISH! What did it come in at? Is there a light tackle record you may have been able to register with? Good Fishing to all. Capt PJ
Capt PJ,
Sorry for the late reply. Been a busy week for me :-?

Why do we do this? ...I think that everyone has their reasons for going fishing and owning their own boat.
Myself, it's for entertainment and trying to figuring out the puzzle of making a catch in the area that you chose to fish that day.

To me, company is very important.
Conflicting personalities doesn't do it for me. I'd rather not fish than fish with someone that I didn't get along with :roll:

It's those special trips that make it all worth the trouble and expense of owning your boat.
A great trip with good memories with your family or buds makes the other "not so great" trips tolerable.

That white seabass weighed 33 lbs after it was bled and in the cooler for 7 hours.
For the line weight that was used, it's nowhere near any kind of record... but it was a lot of fun being there with my buds and celebrating after he landed it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply,
Scott
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

33 pounds. Is that a big un, In2deep??

Don't matter if on a spinner or not...unless the "L.T." causes a loss at boat side. OUCH, that always hurts. :banghead:

I make all kinds of fun about spin tackle, because here in Fla. it rules in South Florida. And is creeping northward.

I believe like I said before deep jig fishing would seem easier via spin tackle. But for me, alot of the act of fishing is traditional, and not wanting to do it the easiest way. And for many, spin tackle is used because they won't take the time to learn "THE SKILLS" of Angling. And that means all tackle, every way possible.

Then some use it to have their butts handed to them like this catch of your buddies big "Trout". :wink:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Chaps wrote:Great battle on light gear! To top it off that there is absolutely the best eatin' fish there is . . . :highfive:
Ya mean just like a Sea-TROUT????

C'C'mon :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :scuba:
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

JETTYWOLF wrote:33 pounds. Is that a big un, In2deep??

I make all kinds of fun about spin tackle, because here in Fla. it rules in South Florida. And is creeping northward.

I believe like I said before deep jig fishing would seem easier via spin tackle. But for me, alot of the act of fishing is traditional, and not wanting to do it the easiest way. And for many, spin tackle is used because they won't take the time to learn "THE SKILLS" of Angling. And that means all tackle, every way possible.

Then some use it to have their butts handed to them like this catch of your buddies big "Trout". :wink:
Jettywolf, Sorry for the late reply...Just noticed this

33lbs is a nice one but this year there has been a whole bunch of them caught between 30 and 50 lbs. up and down the coast of So. Cal.

That's funny that you mention Florida and spinning gear because my buddy (the one fighting the fish) used to watch the fishing shows that came out of Florida and was simply amazed at what they were able to fight and land with small spinning gear.
The whole key seems to be the use of braided line and a smooth drag.
We feel that it "evens the playing field" when we use the LT spinning gear.

Did you see this post over on the BD site?
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/east- ... -rods.html

Pretty impressive! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic