Reel Cleaning and PM

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Reel Cleaning and PM

Post by Tin Cup »

Thought it might be interesting to get some some dialog going on reel cleaning and preventative maintenance that people are doing. I only rinse my reels with fresh water after every salt water use and lubricate about 2-3 x per season. It would be great to see photos of a thorough PM job on both casting and spinning reels. I have looked on the web for this and basically found nothing useful.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Reel Cleaning and PM

Post by mojomizer »

Been spraying mine down with Salt-X. Rinse.... Dry and wiping down with rag and a little wd 40. Changed over my drags to Carbonex drags.........backed them off. Make sure the reels drain holes are pointed down. Only probems I have is the deck of my Pacificskiff loves eating shiny new anodized finishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxR_FjB_ ... re=related

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Same here: rinse after every trip and if they have them, lay the reel so the side plate drain holes face down.
I keep track on index cards as to the last time I had the reel apart for cleaning and lube.
I use either Shimano or Cal's drag grease on my drag washers of just about every reel.
Some reels require more frequent maintenance than others

This guy has some great tutorials on reel maintenance:
http://alantani.com/
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All:

As mentioned I rinse after every use and the rods and guides and reel seats as well. Reels are taken down once a year

during the snow months while I monitor the HAM bands. As many of you know the majority of my reels are now Accurates.

Nearly all were Penn Internationals but I changed to Accurate after learning their performance values. Both need the same

service. This is very important and applies to any aluminum reel Machined or cast. When you clean out your reel I recomend

that you do a total dissasembly once a year , clean thoughly and then apply a thin film of grease inside the entire body of

aluminum frame housing. Then start reassembly and make sure (important) that every screw that scews into the aluminum

grease before it is attached. If you don't follow this rule you will pay later when electrolisis locks thes components together

and due to their size (small) you will most likely break them during the next dissasembly.

When the main frames are about to be screwed together again apply grease to the faces of the surfaces and assemble.

This will ward off nearly all elecrolisis in your exspensive reel and stop corrosion. Due the same to aluminum reel seats and

put the reel in a bag until the time comes and they will be ready :thumbsup:

A little WD-40 to the outside of the reel now and then will protect the anodizing too :thumbsup:

Clean reels dbreak down less ! :sarge:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

For jee wiz info:

Accurate "self" servicing: http://www.charkbait.com/article/2003Edition/BD.htm

Penn & Avet: http://www.charkbait.com/article/maint1.htm

I never met a reel other than an Okuma I don't find FUN taking down to parade rest and back again.

I take apart my Shimano's, and Accurates for fun. I order my own parts....anyone can do it. Just read the schematic and have a system in order.

They're not Rocket ships.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Broke down my "new to me" Avet 50 EXW tonight...cleaned the reel, greased the drags, greased the gears. Ordered my braid and mono and will mess around with spooling and all my connections this weekend thanks to some help from a buddy John and Capt. G :thumbsup:

Ahhh the money we spend on these TOOOOOOONA :mrgreen:
Capt Rick Hiott

Post by Capt Rick Hiott »

After a charter, Ill spray mine down with Dawn dish soap mixed with water and then rinse.
I had a chemist on my boat one day tell me that dawn is good to use on salt.
Been using it for about five years now.....I spray it on everything. Boat motor and trailer.
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC
www.reelfishhead.com

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thanks, Capt. Rick Hiott Dawn dish soap is alot cheaper then Salt-X. I found, on one of my Penn Gold's spool corrosion caused by water seepage into the hollow core spectra. Other then removing and drying what alternatives do you guys have???

Thanks
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Capt Rick Hiott

As far as the rod and reels go,,,I just let them air dry. I guess you could wipe them off, or blow them off with a air hose if you have one.
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC
www.reelfishhead.com

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Sorry should have been a bit more specific. The corrosion I found was at the base of the spool. I take great care in my gear. I did not realize that water would seep so deep into the backing. :shocked: Is there a wax or something to protect the bottom of the spool????

Thanks
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Capt Rick Hiott

Not that I know of,,It happens on a lot of reels.
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC
www.reelfishhead.com

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Found this on BHP Tackle a Article by Jerry Brown. I'll try the carnuba wax on the spool. Lots of winding and unwinding under pressure.

http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=36

Designed by Boeing for aircraft and tough marine conditions. I think I'll keep a bottle on the boat.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... do?pid=552

Regards
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

mojomizer wrote:Sorry should have been a bit more specific. The corrosion I found was at the base of the spool. I take great care in my gear. I did not realize that water would seep so deep into the backing. :shocked: Is there a wax or something to protect the bottom of the spool????

Thanks
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff

Believe it or not...clear Shoe Polish. I put it on all my new reels spools before filling....never had a corrison problem.
Capt. G
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thanks Captain G.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic