Roller Guide Rods

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Roller Guide Rods

Post by AlloyToy »

Was watching Larry Csonka fishing for "Butts" tonight on Versus...they were using roller guide rods :!: Why :?: Maybe some of you PNW folk can enlighten us :idea: Just curious.....

Need to do this once in my life......soonImage

Where they were fishing:

http://www.portlionslodge.com/angling.htm
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Roller Guide Rods

Post by spoiled one »

I watched that show too. Seeing "Smokee Joe" prepare the flat bastards made me trek to the big upright freezer to take some of that white fish out to thaw. My experience with the big, heavy rods with the roller guides has been minimal. I do have a couple that I save for a couple of my "special" friends that tend to break things. They are paired with a couple of older penn 114H's and spooled with 100 lb spectra. People that use them a lot complain about the spectra getting caught between the roller and the rest of the guide. I have not experienced that, but can see how that could happen with the spectra braids. My personal choice for soaking bait for the flatfish is one of the Diawa interline rods. They are relatively light ad have a short butt section for vertically challenged folks.

It has been a dream of mine to take my boat down to Kodiak for a couple of weeks. Someday.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Halibut fishing looks like it could be a blast :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ccPzzgS ... re=related
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

Roller rods ........

Recommendation......Aftco wind on roller guides. They have precision ball bearings and man they roll so smoooooth :thumbsup:

It becoming the hot setup with the Spectra craze and modern wind on leaders. You can make you own wind on leaders

of different lenghts, lb test and materials as you need them or conditions call. This is exacly how my ATD 50 is set up.

You can go loop to loop or loop to swivel to leader and it will roll through these guides without any problem :thumbsup:

You can wind up 100 yards or 50 yards of leader to keep the head boat mates happy too :thumbsup:

Man do they hate Spectra/Kevlar line :hammer:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

O.C.

Super Braid line is banned on the cattle boats round here. But then again they (fed azzholes) are banning all bottom fishing because the tree huggers now rule the earth.

Florida - fishing = "Maybe the New Yorkers will move elsewhere!"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic