Okuma Makaira

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Okuma Makaira

Post by AlloyToy »

Had a chance to take a look at and talk to the Okuma Rep at the Meet & Greet...look like winners......now I need to get him to lend me one to test.....like a nice 80 for the "10" Tuna bite :rotfl: :rotfl:

Looks like they have stolen ideas from both Avet, and accurate......
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Okuma Makaira

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Which Rep. John Bretza (? spelling)

The reel I wanna look at real close is the new "Trio" egg beater reel. Not ever close to a spinner guy. But from what I've seen of it on La. Sportsman TV and the ICAST show footage in Orlando last year (via John) they sure look inovative and can produce huge ammounts of drag pressure for such a small surface area.

What meet and greet?

Did ya meet this guy?
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icast09. ... OKUMASREEL

But then again, Bass Pro Shops says their Baitcasters produce 18-22 pounds of drag.
REALLY????

Do they know how much friction that really is? All from a few small washers?

I always take the big box stores opinions with a grain of salt. Cause if so, then a small lil bass casting reel can almost match up to my accurates. And the true test in real world isn't in the lab, but rather hooked up to a 200 pound Stingray in 5 knots of current on the last of a falling tide at the Mayport Jetties!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Capt. Dave, The guys name was Mike B......(something or other)

We land our tuna with 14-16 pounds of drag on the Avet's ....quite quickly I must add :thumbsup:

I have a few of the Okuma "beginner" series...JUNK!!! I was quite surprised with what I saw.......they even had reels disassembled.....looks like they are going after the market :highfive:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Well then you could use a Johnny Morris signiture series bass caster too...if it held enough line.

NOT!!!!

Add more line out and you "line drag" in the water added.

But never in my life saw any bass that needed more than about 4 pounds of drag at the reel, let alone the rod tip.

Yeah, okuma's problem is consumer confidence. They started out making "bait shop" over the counter warrenty junk IE: Purple, green, yellow reels and rods for $25

And then jumped into the big boy world in a year or two, with price point better (?) tackle.

They do have inovations, like that Trio reel.

I t6hink of them like a Hyundai car. Back in the 80's the closest those cars got to the US was in Canada. They were like YUGO's. Small and kinda crappy. Korean Taxi cabs, when I was in Korea. So small 3 american G.I."s could fit in one.

Now...investments have been made. and they competeing with Honda, Toyota, and Accura, chevy, Ford, Dodge/Chrysler.

They'll get in the way, and then Shimano will buy them out someday. Like Shimano buying G. Loomis, and others.....
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Jetty....some great info right here :thumbsup:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=750.0
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

intersting for sure.........over kill, maybe?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I'll let you know...I'm gonna order a 50 wide and put it to the test....I was very impressed with the reel....just gotta get over the mental "I'm gonna spend $500 on a OKUMA" aspect of it :mrgreen:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hmmmmm. $500 huh? But next year they'll come out with a better one. Thats kinda the Japanese reel draw-back. Shimano does it constantly. Trying to win New reel ICAST awards, I think.

His grade was an okay one for accurates. But everyone fails to realize. You can't compare apples to oranges. Two drags are better than one. And dispite all the talk, they have two! You see that shine in my lil B-197 mini. Good gawd that biotch has drag for a reel smaller than a Abu Garcia 5500......
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

you grease the drags on your reels Jetty :?:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

NOPE..

But according to "Joe Reel tech" there.....I guess I'm suposed too?

I've had one or two OPEN the whole time I've owned all (8) that's all. They just keep on tickin and ripping on fish lips.
Like I said in the aluminum boats with screws in them threads....I'm not a huge Factory modification kinda guy. My efforts are put into dead fish in the box, not playing with my tackle all that much, although I am in the serious enthusiest catagory.

That guy was scaring me. "Do I have to do that to a reel after I buy one?" Or is it to spend $$ with a guy like him? I'm not chuckin my reels over board on a buoy and playing chase in a zodiac, with another larger combo attached the the first ones lugs........inwhich I have seen done with Penns and Accurates I believe on videos of "hooked up to a fish too big!"

Any reel over $250 like my shimano curados and Accurates are in the hierloom catagory for me. And will be passed on to the kids I don't have and never will....so I plan on leaving everything someday to the Florida or Louisiana, CCA to auction off. When the day of my humble dimise comes.

Ya hear that OCCAMS RAZOR.???????
You were supposed to greeze your Accurate drag washers. Did ya?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

You're lucky you can fish year round :thumbsup: cuz up here in the NE about late Jan. we are climbing the walls and need something to keep our head in the game :mrgreen:

Seriously, on a greased drags while trolling you can see and feel the difference when sliding the lever up to strike when 180# charlie is tuggin on the opposite end :clap: very smooth :clap:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Most of my "charlies" are brown, and my Marlin or Swords are silver colored...
-and I don't play "let's sweat blood" anymore. I get paid to let other people play that game. And 98% wouldn't know a slicker drag from another, anyhow.

If I get a wild hair, I may try greezin all 8 of them. But I better be pretty damn bored to do all that.

Have ya seen the new Fin-Nor "silver" lever drags, yet? They're on the Okuma price level, and lower!

Remember when a Fin-Nor was a hierloom reel, back in the day? Big Time status tackle. Now, I'm not all that sure.

Damn ya'll sure spend, on them Charlies. I guess I'd be way out of ya'll league if I lived there.
I'd be in the bays hunting Porgies or something, close and cheap. :rotfl: :rotfl:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Ya have to fish CC Bay to understand it :idea: Look at it on a map...it's a fish bowlImage You can fish within the bay and catch striper's, Bluefish, BFT, flounder,and yes scup & black seabass....

In the day commercial guys would be R&R fishing for striper's and get spooled by GBFT all within sight of land.....CC Bay was a feeding bowl for the Giants.....

I remember fishing in an old tri-hull Glastron 28' with a fella I knew on the Cape. He used Penn 9/0's, and homemade mackerel chains he would sew himself....then came the hookup....I must say it was game over extremely quick :rotfl: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz there goes our mono Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I see the dacron Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh crap we're done :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The "Great New England Fishing show" is in a couple weeks......I'll check out the Fin-nor's along with the thousands of other do dad's that will be on display :thumbsup:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic