Rod Blanks

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Rod Blanks

Post by mojomizer »

New technology rod blanks are coming. OTI 400-800 g4, Kil Songs 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special, Synit Venom and the US made Rod Super Seeker Hercules Rods are changing the landscape of how fishing rods are designed and made. They are using Carbon Nano Technology in the resins that bond the carbon sheets together. Lighter and amazingly stronger.

I am thinking of wrapping a Super Seeker Hercules 60xh blank. Anyone have ideas on the hardware that I attach to it? This Rod will be capable of 200 lbs + Tuna. Using the small Accurate, Avet or JM pe8 Reel.

Thanks
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Re: Rod Blanks

Post by welder »

I need a rod for my Penn 550 SS , 6' with a long but as I have monkey arms. I miss my old Saber rods 1985 models.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Dang Welder, Monkey arms and Racoon face :rotfl: What other attributes you have????? .................Never mind I don't want to know.

Penn 505 spinner works for what it was designed for may I suggest a 7 foot Ugly Stick.

Saber honey blanks are sweet. Have any I'll refurbish for you.

Back to the serious side Alps Reel seat or Aftco???

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Monkey arms, racoon face, and something about a Horse :mrgreen:

I have 4 , 7' ugly sticks with Penn 750 SSM's on them . I will look for a 6' Ugly for the 550. :thumbsup:

Alps reel seat. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

mojo...sounds like you are really into building your own rods. Would you post some photos of your work station/area for doing this. And share what you find to be of use. And not useful! I maintained my rods when I owned a charter. My set up was very primitive and very old or homemade by a distant Uncle, died and left his stuff to me. With all the new motorized systems and great glues and finishes, blanks, hardware.I'd like to see what works, so I don't flap around much on the deck and make errors with my purchases. THX! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Just got a super deal on these W.
6'6" Ugly Stik Charter series rods called 50-80 class......more like 80-120 class rods. I got 4.

A 200 pounder would kill ya first before doing anything to this rod. Unbelieveably strong.
super K.I.S.S. tackle

Mojo,
those ALPS guides are super nice.
I wanna see that 200 pounder tied to the stern of the boat!
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I have seen some serious discounts on Ugly sticks......... cheep and strong :thumbsup:

CaptPj9 rod wrapping can be as simple as a cardboard box with v's notched on it or can get seriously complicated. One of the best web catalogs I have found is Mudhole http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Wrappers

I like the power wrappers with the 11 rpm dryer attached. Nothing worse then spinning flex coat by hand waiting for it to dry.

One of the most trick systems I have seen is a wrapper made by In2Deep/Scott it may be in the archives. I hoped this subject would spark his interest in participating.

Other interesting sites:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-building/

http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,16235

http://www.acidrod.com/

Another place that sells a Power Wrapper:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 2146251080

There are also used rod wrapping system out there.

Have fun...... read up a little, I'll try to answer your questions as they come up.

Because I am trying to promote the West Coast So Cal Meet and Greet I will be wrapping another rod for a give away ..... This was a 7 foot Super Seeker With Fuji SiC guides from last years Meet and Greet.

I'll try to picture catalog my next build.

Regards
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Mark, WOW! THX for the reply...superb! Some of the sites I knew but the rest are NEW to me...great! I picked up a hand powered rod wrapper support has some nice support and hold down wheels with a thread tension bar...should get me going...but the power jobs are sure looking good...Wish me luck. I just ordered a set of inexpensive guides in all the sizes so I have examples of what I desire to do and then order according in the better brands and materials.

What do you use to paint your rods? THX in advance. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I get them mud hole catalogs, Mojo. Thought about it for a minute, making my own. And decided again that's I go way too deep and hawg azz wild with stuff and better stay away. I can be to Mud Hole in an hour and a half from my house.

But I'll just spend my time fishing instead. Letting Ugly Stik make all my rods from now on. I've got two Loomis 9' one piece pelagic series rods left (rare casting with trigger cork handled, supposedly Calico bass type rods....here we call them Tarpoon rods! I thought west coasters didn't like actual casting trigger rods, though.) And have a buyer coming for them soon.

Then, I'll be 100% ole Shakespeare, again. Where I began 14 years ago. Before I went full circle trying all I could afford.

Just got those 4 tuna class Charter boat Series rods for $143.00 tax tag out the door at Gander Moutain, because I helped them out with a seminar.

I've heard stories about the California guys and all the tricked out rods on those long range boats from a guy I know here that went and worked out there on one of those boats. He said, "never saw so much gold silver and red and purple rods and reels in his life".

I say if ya have free time lets see some creations. We'll tag along :joecool:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Jetty you should be in my shoes. Accurate, Avet, Seeker, Calstar, Shimano, Diawa, Charkbait, Meltons International and a dozen other Tackle Manufactures and Shops are within a 45 minute drive. I would be in real trouble if Bass Pro was not a hour fifteen minutes away or a Cabelas within the State.

Lure making fascinates me Larry Dahlberg's fishing show is entertaining.

CaptPj9 I have been using Flexcoat because it is readily available every where in my vicinity. People have had concerns of age related yellowing. I have seen it but it was on a pole I wrapped 15 years ago. If you have yellowing concerns then UB40 is the epoxy you need. Before you flexcoat or UB40 a thin layer of Color preserver sealant on the threads help with bubbles and fading. Careful color preserver sometimes changes the color of the thread as if you wetted it with water. A alcohol burner applied very quickly to stubborn bubbles will eliminate them.

If mechanically inclined here is a site that has suggestion on making your own rod dryer.

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/mac ... dryer.html

Have Fun
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Mark, I didn't know about the burner or the UB40...THX!!! But if i was going to paint a whole blank, what should I use as a primer and top coat. Someone suggeted that the paint used for flexible bumpers on cars would work and they used it and found no issues. You heard anything like that? Do you paint the blanks at all...some of the blanks I have are really nasty colors. What to do! You input is greatly appreciated. THX Capt PJ
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Ok, now I get the question I have seen painted rods but never painted one myself. Though one grandchild is wanting a pink rod.

I'll post the question and see what happens.?????????

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Received this thread: http://rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,251479,page=1

Watch out a 6 foot Ugly Stick in hot pink for Welder to match his new Lucky Louie Lap Top :rotfl:

Take Care
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

These days the pick on a top quality is endless !

This blank is tops this month and next there is another top dog in no time !

Quality is what we all want but until they are put through their paces and wholly hell with the speed jiggers we never know

Super Seeker was going to be my next blank for a stout stick for tuna until I saw one explode beside me. Granted person

likely laid to far into the drag but I watched the Calstars bent over and take one tuna after another. I was sold and Calstar

was my next build. I love it (7' Calstar XH ) set up to handle tuna on Cow boats and doubles as a nice heavy jigger for Cod

I really want to bend the living hell out of a OTI or Smith next but the Smith is very very pricey . I think OTI is going to be

my short light tuna tamer blank but I still read mixed reviews. They have great built rods but every time I buy a built rod

I have trouble with my narrow Accurates fitting......better to build it up yourself the way you want it. SIC guides all the way

to tame the BRAID ! :thumbsup:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

It truly is amazing the rods and reels that are evolving from the use of new technologies. Much like cell phone technology the latest and greatest become outdated much too soon. We get caught in this trap of pulling high drags and dead lifting power in ever lighter and smaller packages.

The driving force behind this Renaissance, I feel is the braided lines in ever thinner diameters.

How much drag pressure can one comfortably fish?????? What action of the rod fits your fishing style?????? How much line capacity do you need??????The fishing environment also plays an important role. Tackle grabbing structure??????? Deep water????? The all important possibility of Huge fish.

For my personal style and physical characteristics. Fishing big game I can comfortably fish 20-22 lbs. of drag and the finishing burst of 35 lbs on tuna doing the death circle stand up style. 450 yards of line capacity. The action I prefer is a modified fast action rod fishing west coast style jigs.

What are your preferences (In the context of my above stated preferences)???? I find the geographical differences interesting. What does a North East fisherman look for??? South East??? GOM??? Pacific Nortwest???? Alaska :mrgreen:???

Breaking a modern day rod I would say 97% probability operator error either maintenance, technique or fishing beyond the designed rating of the rod.

Look forward to all of your opinions.

Off to a fishing show to check out some blanks :thumbsup:

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

MoJo:

Think of this .....head boat or CC ?

If headboat forget short powerfull rods ......it will all go bad believe me :thumbsup:

Headboat you want 7' H or XH Calstar to tame and multitask

CC wit fish 360 you can go with 5' 8" XH OTI , Smith or any of the super rods . OTI is bang for the buck and no BS !

The big boy will max out a 30Lb drag and not reach 180 degrees ! Good for you if yo can hold it ! I can't ......

My harness I can bend a 130 Unlimited without much effort and its just a Smities harness ! Once they go past 120 I put

the harness on. Its better for me and better for the fish........

Best O luck in your pick.......Go high end and you will not be disappointed.....

I low bucked a Penn EH 5' "8 jigger with SIC guides. I blew it up in 48 hours off Block with a Shimano knife jig and two

13 pound Blufish on the jig. The reel was a Accurate 197X ! We Filmed the whole thing and showed the Penn rep !

They not only offered me another rod they offered me to upgrade ! I took the refund and took a Shimano Trevalla F all SIC

guides and I mounted a Accurate B2-600X on it and tried it out ! Well I will be honest....not alot of power but I have bent

this rod more than 180 degreese and it did not go POW
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Mark, THX for the thread...great info and it makes sense. Same concept as the auto plastic bumper paint I was told about. I'll be checking the local hobby shop soon. THx again. Capt PJ
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

No problems CaptPj9 I learn something new too :thumbsup: Oh U40 not UB40 ( cougar dating site ?????) :rotfl:

Occam's I agree if you are going to build something use the best components available. You never know when the fish of your dreams is going to want to play.

You should one day go on a Long Range trip out of San Diego and fish Cow Town in December. Some guys use the CalStar Boomer short rods to catch cow Yellowfin Tuna. I have my 6455xxh and GFR770xxh .............. but then again you are going to the Azores ...... Hope you book your trip during a "Red October" when the Grander Bluefin Tuna show up :mrgreen:

Locally here the 250-350 lbs Thresher Sharks should show up soon in mass. Must find a way to get another ATD 30

Going to build The SS Hercules GTS 60xh blank after much thought. I am hoping to Document it's build on AAB with input from my Alloy brother's to make it fun and interesting.

Oh ya ........ The next generation OTI's G4 400-800 are going to shake up the industry.

Take care

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic