Albacore Tuna tackle

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
Sculpin

Albacore Tuna tackle

Post by Sculpin »

I walked into Pacific Net and Twine today and came out with this stuff.........

Need to find some cedar plugs now as they don't carry them. Any good sources online for them?
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Albacore Tuna tackle

Post by Chaps »

Believe it or not . . . Amazon
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:Believe it or not . . . Amazon
Thanks Chaps. Anything you would suggest adding or deleting from this basic "kit". I'm new to the game and ready to join the "dark side" as goatram pointed out ha ha!

Not alot of gear up here locally and PNT is a commerial/sporty place and most of the tuna gear is for commercial guys running hand lines etc. apparently the blue green Zukers with green mylar heads are the most popular with the commies up here. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am going for it middle of next week or next weekend (weather depending) :joecool:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

John I am at work so I can not take a picture of my gear for show and tell; Butt
Swim baits and lead heads are useful. See here
http://www.qcove.com/products/productpa ... heads.html
Mello
Cabellas and Bass proshops have cedar plugs. You will need Ice and a place to store it ie Big coolers. A lot to learn in a week.

I deleted the cloro and temp shot so as not be in Violation of certain rules
Last edited by goatram on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
goatram

Post by goatram »

forgot this
Attachments
Tuna Lures.JPG
Tuna Lures.JPG (234.38 KiB) Viewed 23109 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Awesome goatram!!!!

The chart you posted says fish the blue water? How do you read Chloro charts?. I understand temp charts but not Chloro ones. I know this is alot to learn in short order but I will be heading out of Tofino with a guide buddy that knows his stuff and has a commie friend out there nailing em. It does give us an edge for finding them and not burning up too much fuel.

Anything in that kit I just bought that needs attention? Different colors etc. I went with the purple black and Mexican flag colors like you suggested. The fellows gave me the pink ones for half price and said if all else fails throw them out there (kinda like back up ).

Using 200 lb mono for leader material (suggested by the guys at PNT) for handling and action. Don't want to cut my hand handling the leader. Crimping everything as well. Not alot of selection up here in Canuckville.

I have the coolers and ice down pat no problem there. I read about bleeding them out too.

Thanks again,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

I have a plastic Trash Can on my Swim Step that I use for bleeding and initial cooling. The Fish is Gaffed and swung into the trash can, The Gills are cut and the fish is spiked in the head between the Eyes to kill the heat but let the heart continue to beat and the blood to flow. I use my wash down pump to spray water in the can to cool them down a bit. after about 15 to 20 minutes you put them in Ice to get them to cool down fast. The Sea Ice that the commie's use is the best if you can get it at the local fish processor.
You use the cloro Chart to find the blue water. Fish will be in or real close to the area of the color change. the green water at the edge does have some fish feeding but they head back to the blue. The water temp breaks help to tell where they will be as well.

Make your leaders 6 to 8' long. Get a gaff or two and Pliers along with something to spike them. Youtube has a bunch of vids to help cark/fillet your catch. You need to set your spacing of the rods and lures to not get tangled when you turn the boat. think of a Wtwo outboards rods are placed on the back side of the 4th or 5th wake wave. the center ceder plug is way back in clean water. and the two poles either side of the center is on the back side of the 3rd wake Wave.
Depending on the weather and Tuna off of Westport I might be fishing Lapush for Tuna next week starting the 24th.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I was just wondering. If the fishing is "spotty" it seems it would make greater sense to go as light as possible. I guess it isn't spotty?

Wow........200# leaders? I use 4' of 200# for Shark fishing, only because of teeth. But then again you could be in so many fish that it doesn't matter??

Have ya ever tried a "wind on leader", they make life really EZ. No snaps swivels, no nothing. Just a Uni-knot.

Round here, it's all about the lightest leaders, and lightest tackle possible, to get the absolute best action out the baits and most strikes. Tuna Feathers and Cedar plugs do produce "action".

Tommarrow, my fishing club is having a "super light tackle" tournament. No heavier line than 8# IGFA, and no leader (any size) longer than 15' via IGFA rules. But the general rule there would be to not go beyond a ratio of 4:1, leader and main line. With 8 pound IGFA rated mono. The max leader that could be used would be 32# line, and since there's no 32# mono, most people will use 20-25. As a "wind on", 15' so not to have the fish far away and a leaderman needed. Jus reel the fish close with the heavier wind-on leader, get some on the spool, and hit it with a gaff. After allot of playing chase on that 8# IGFA mono. I've done it. ( of course center consoles rule this game, fish hits on a pound and a half "maybe" drag, pick up rod and as boat turns toward the fish angler heads for the bow. Of course this is only done with really small super sharp light hooks for best penatration, since there's hardly any drag pressure, just water pressure on the line. And silky smooth drags are a must........No ole Penn Senators.

And there will be Cobia, King Mackerel, Blackfin tuna, AmberJack, and Bonita caught. All the same size as those albacore or larger.

What the heck are those orange big plastic things? Teasers? Never seen any like that before.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

The heavy leaders are for the trolling rods and boat lines tied off to cleats. Objective is to find the schools by trolling, horse them to the boat quick so you can break out the light tackle to have some sport of it. Small live bait hook tied directly on to your bait caster mainline, flip that out with a lively anchovie and all hell breaks loose!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

JETTYWOLF wrote:
What the heck are those orange big plastic things? Teasers? Never seen any like that before.
on your trolling rigs just ahead of the jigs, they kick up plumes of water making it look like a big feed is on at the surface, brings the fish up to get in on the action and your jig is right there waiting for them
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

I heard someone say that you need a permit to catch tuna. Or is that to sell them?? Sure would like to hook one some day :clap:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Chaps wrote:
JETTYWOLF wrote:
on your trolling rigs just ahead of the jigs, they kick up plumes of water making it look like a big feed is on at the surface, brings the fish up to get in on the action and your jig is right there waiting for them

Good gawd, I hope the boat lines pull those thangs. Okay, teasers...just what I thought. And I believe we have different definations for "jigs" too.

We do boat lines here too, but most are attached to a #4 Planer to get down deep and fast, then 30 feet of line to a #3 Drone spoon. But that's commercial fishing for 1200 lbs of King Mackerel, at a shot.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, get a hold of AAB member, TimW Texas , he is from your neck of the woods and has Tackle at KILLER prices.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram

Post by goatram »

Dave Each fishery is different. My Brother Mike has tried to Tell me the Secrets of New England Fishing and tell me that that will work her in the PNW. As Chaps says Live Bait fishing is a hoot but the 20 to 30 gallon bait tank takes room and money and experience. Sculpin needs to start small then expand on what he knows and reads up on. I run 100lb leaders on my clones why? the guy that helped me out the first time said so. The few times guys like John and me go out the Halibut Boat Rods will suffice. I did contemplate your Tiger sticks for a bit.30' Hand lines and rubber straps tied to the corners do bring up the fish deeper down.

Tred B. has his ways of fishing and I.... :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Sabs28 wrote:I heard someone say that you need a permit to catch tuna. Or is that to sell them?? Sure would like to hook one some day :clap:
In the atlantic yes, I'm not sure about the west coast. Its a federal permit, you need the commercial permit to sell them... https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/PermitList.asp
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

If a fellow was going to buy some dedicated tuna rods that could double as bottom fishing rods what length/ weight/etc.?
I really like Lamiglass rods and have some for halibut.

Also I've been reading that you do NOT want to use level winds because they jam up with all the speed involved here. I do have 3 old penn's that are not level wind that would work but I'm looking at the Avet's. I just don't know which model would suit my needs best?

Cheers
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

If you're talking about trolling set-ups
You'll want to get 6' or 6 1/2' rods 40-80 lb. line rating
They don't have to have roller guides
4/0 wides or regular 6/0's with 60-80 lb. mono will work just fine

Normally, you use a non-level wind reel for the better freespool and casting for bait fishing, but a modern level wind reel will work
Doubt if a running albacore will jam the level wind mechanism
Penn 500 sized reels and a smooth drag with 25-30 lb. line for live bait fishing.

Are the Albacore within range of you?
We're having a slow albacore year here but the BFT and YFT started biting real well a few weeks ago.

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
goatram

Post by goatram »

John for the number of times you go your level winds will suffice as will your Hali boat rods.Keep looking for the new gear.

So far this year I have not had a window to run for Albi's This Friday and Saturday was the next two days that I will be off and able to go. The Weather forecast does not look good. Sat forecast is for 6' swell with 4' wind waves. I will stay on the beach and help with the Washington Tuna Classic when the big Boys come in with their tuna. September hopefully it will calm down and be fishable.

Scott the Blue water is close to John but it is all turned around not like last year's Tuna season. Tuna are being caught just not like last year 10 or 11 fish this year and last was 30 to 60 was the count for the sport boats heading out 35 to 40 miles out.
YFT are being caught south off the Oregon Coast.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

An Avet type of non level wind reel is ideal on the bait rod IMO. Smooth drag is essential, additional mechanism of the level wind is a negative for this. Besides, you need to be able to flip a bait out a decent distance, the LW kills that.
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Is there live bait available for John to get or will it be primarily trolling?

I hear that the fishery is different up north than down this way as far as bait availability.

I thought I had heard that Oregon was having a good albacore year?
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
ratherbefishin
Donator '10, '11

Post by ratherbefishin »

I have been using Shimano TLD's and Toriums for the Albies. Haven't had a bit of trouble with either one of the setups. I use the Torium for trolling and the TLD's for live bait. As for line, I use the Jerry Brown hollow core and then put a knotless loop in it and top it off with a wind-on leader.
-Dale
http://www.hewescraftowners.com
Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 with Honda 225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Been doing alot of research on the subject and I will be better prepared next season for sure. I am an addict my name is John ha ha!!!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

A curse or a blessing is where I live............. Meltons, Charkbait, Shimano, Daiwa, Accurate, Avet, Seeker Rods, Calstar rods, newly retrofitted United Composite rods, Izor international, and many others are within 20-30 minute drive. I like Charkbait they always give out some free stuff when I buy from them. I bought an Avet reel and recieved a Reel Cover and a great 50 dollar Plier/Cutter. Customer service is great :thumbsup: Knowledgeable fisherman staff always a plus.

Check them out. http://www.charkbait.com/cs/Search.htm? ... &sa=Search

Tuna Trolling lures. http://www.charkbait.com/cs/Search.htm? ... &sa=Search

look at Catchy Lures..... The spinner trolling lures work .... http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csCatchy.htm

Best all around rods I would look at a Calstar 700m and I am really liking the Seeker Hercules rod series.

Opinions are like A-holes everyone has them... Fish what you are comfortable and confident with.

So are my Northern Tuna Brethren fly lining live bait?????? What are you using for livewells?????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
goatram

Post by goatram »

Mark and John it is an addiction. Two new Avets for me and one for King Neptune. 9 new Poles; one of which King Neptune has now to go with his new Avet. :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Chaps wrote:
JETTYWOLF wrote:

Okay........."teasers".
Thats what I thought. But them some weird looking ones. I use Beer cans. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

me and tred barta. N-O-T.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic