YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING LIKE THIS!!!

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
peterbo3
Contributor

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING LIKE THIS!!!

Post by peterbo3 »

Hi all,
Seeing that I also asked Les to expand the forums, I guess it is only fair that I walk the walk as well as talking....................whatever. :roll: :roll: :roll:

These are photos of what is commonly referred to as a "Deck Winch" down this way. They are used for deep water meat fishing. No finesse or sport here. 100 pound braid, big hooks, big bait & BIG sinkers. These are the .50 cals of the bottom fishing world. This one pulls 50lb of drag through approx 14 washers. All solid fibreglass reel, with SS & bronze innards. They come in bigger sizes & wimps can get em with 12 or 24V motors. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Been made here in Brisbane by Alvey & Sons since Adam wore shorts. They also make surf reels & reels for bottom fishing rods. They should have gone broke years ago cos the gear never wears out. Plus they have spares for every model they have built. This one has no line on it as I have just finished an overhaul. They are super simple. Direct wind, very heavy components & easy to service. No gears or fancy stuff. I can put close to 1000 yards of 100lb braid on this puppy. :D :D :D Not that I am going to.

Side view showing crank handle & SS base.
Rear side with SS backplate, free spool lever & clicker.

Star drag & line feeder.
Bracket on gunnel that SS mount is bolted to.

This is their site: http://www.alvey.com.au/
Last edited by peterbo3 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pete, I want to see that Bad Boy in action ..............

Don't hook the bottom and roll your boat over. :lol:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Pete, I have customers that need them!!

Are these the same krystal fishing reels:
http://www.kristalusa.com/catalog/cg040001.htm

we call em "Bandits"......

http://www.cudjoesales.com/catalog/reels.html - THESE.

You're not a commercial snapper boat without a stern of these.
But we have solid NON ALLOY "leaf - springs" on them.
Leaf springs because back in the old days they welded leaf springs from trucks on them.

Most smaller boats have electric, big boats will have hydralic.

Not for fooling around, but rather making MONEY.

Here's some youtube footage of Bandits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ov_8Gas6Xs
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

They are big reels for sure. You could nearly use em as an anchor winch. I think the Alveys are a little more user friendly on a non-commercial boat because of their drag system. Use mine in 6-700 feet. That is a long way to crank up but the pain is good for you. :? :? :?
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Oh yours is an Alvey, huh?

Is there an pole attachment?

I've seen many (like the Krystal fishing reel) that have a short & stout solid NON ALLOY rod that goes into a socket and has a big roller tip on it.

Do you use any kind of "snubber", (aka: shock absorbing material) on your line if you go without any kind of rod?

See, this is a great Forum to have.
Now lets see if Mojo will talk the talk....

C'C'mon. :wink:
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Hi Dave,
No pole. You use em like a handline.When you get a hit, you strike with your arm & start cranking. Back in the days of mono this was no problem. But with braid, you must wear a glove on your hand or a piece of bicycle tubing over the first two fingers to prevent some deep cuts. Once the fish is on it just a case of winding................FAST...................cause the guys in the grey coats
will leave just the head. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

(sorry, didn't initially see the Alvey link.)

I think in Miami Florida, they'd call that thing a tricked-out, CUBAN Yo-Yo, then.

They fish a hand line on a spool.

I like this one...
BMac

Post by BMac »

Mean't to post these pics earlier.

This is my Dad's weapon of choice for drift fishing chasing Snapper, WA Dhuies etc. Basically a smaller rod mounted version of Pete's monster Alvey.

Got it loaded with 50Lb braid, which is about the only modern feature it has! Still, good solid piece of gear that will stop a truck.

Cheers
Brendan
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

BIG REEL!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Peterbo,

During my 25-years of surf fishing I always looked at those surf reels but could never find one in the states to put in my hands and feel. S I never got to try one. I think the way the aussies have the reel lower on the surf rod always confused me on how they would be to cast and I was really a plug caster and never ever sat bait on the bottom and waited for something to come to me. I was always casting, casting, casting a huge veritiy of plugs into the wash for the big cow bass.

Very cool setup... Mty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Marty,
The Alvey surf reels are mounted low down to increase the leverage that the rod provides. We normally put them on a 13' or 14' soft action tip stick which enables you to cast a very long way & play big fish in wash without break-offs. We use a light rod bucket on a belt with a small plastic bait container. They are great with slugs because although they are direct wind, with a 650 (6 1/2" diameter) model you are pulling in 20" of line per revolution. For Tailor (US Bluefish) we normally fish with pilchards on 3 or 4 ganged 4/0 or 5/0 hooks with a very slow retrieve.
Surf rods with a spinning reel have the reel mounted high because spinning reels do not like sand & saltwater inside them. The Alveys are designed to handle full immersion & keep working. I have used an Alvey for a week straight on the beach & simply washed it in fresh water at the end of the trip. I will set up my surf rods & post a few pics for you.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
peterbo3
Contributor

Surf Rods & Reels

Post by peterbo3 »

These are two surf rods & reels. Rods are 13'6" long, reels are 6 1/2" diameter. The yellow rod is all glass & is about 35 years old. The other rod is a graphite /glass composite & is new. Only about 15 years old.
The yellow reel was purchased with the yellow rod whilst the green composite reel belongs to the composite rod. The newer gear weighs about 40% of the old stuff. The reels have a simple drag system but the rod applies most of the pressure to the fish.

These two pics show how close to the butts the reels are mounted. It allows for a very relaxed stance on the beach as your right hand is on the reel whilst your left supports the rod.

The reels swivel through 90 deg for casting.
The large SS stripper guides control the line on casting preventing any balloons in the line.
SS back plates showing "clicker" control (which nobody uses) & cap protecting grease point.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

CAN I SEE YOU CAST ONE???

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Peterbo3,

I would love to see a short video of you casting one of them and fighting a fish on them. I gather you havent used them in a while. Are they still using those types of wire guides. We went to the shimano ceramics 50mm- to 75mm for our Van Staul 300s on our 11.5' graphite surf rods.

If you cant post a short video, a couple of snap shots of the way you cast would surfice. thanks mty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
peterbo3
Contributor

Casting with an Alvey

Post by peterbo3 »

http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/10.shtml
G'Day Marty,
The link will take you to a site where ALL your Alvey questions will be answered. There are vids, pics & line drawings.
I have not done any beach fishing this year but the tailor are running & that will change soon. The big SS stripper guides are still the only way to go with an Alvey sidecast reel.
If you are in the market for an Alvey, I can put you onto a great tackle shop here in Brisbane. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Flatdog

Post by Flatdog »

Hi guys love using pins for all sorts of fishing but those alveys are a pain with line twist line coming off one side of the spool only, how do you get around that problem? Or has alvey now got a reel that casts off both sides?
By moving the reel seat as low as possible the first eye on the rod can be smaller..... but even with a 5" dia reel I have found that you will still need to move the eye as high up the blank as poss plus use at least a 3" or 3.5" First eye to funnel line and stop line slap on the rod, It occurs on top of the blank first eye whippings, after a while you end up with line burns there, if the eye is to small or reel seat is to high, plus it cuts down the cast distance. Straight up and down bottom fishing is no problem, as line comes back onto the reel as it comes off.
Just my 2cent worth
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day FD,
I guess you are in London, Canada? Sorry for not replying to your query but I must have missed it.
Line twist can be a problem with the Alveys but use of the correct type of swivel this is nearly eliminated. I use a leader approx 4' long below the swivel with a ball sinker above the swivel. This allows long casts & also lets the bait move around in the wash.
The pics of my rods show the standard setup for surf rods straight out of the factory. I have never had a problem with line burn or slap. If you match the sinker size to bait size & factor in wind direction (headwind requires more lead) & know how to use the rod, you can cast a long way.
Although there were a few embarrassing bad casts early in my beach fishing career. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic