My next rods part II

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

My next rods part II

Post by mojomizer »

So as you all know I have been looking at some JM Rods. They come in a Spiral wrap/Acid wrap configuration has anyone fished this style of wrap? For those who do not know what a spiral wrap is:

http://www.acidrod.com/acidrods.html

Kind of funky looking but remember my Dad having a dinner conversation about it in the 70's.

Hey you guys down under seem to have embraced JM rods what are your impressions?????

Thankyou for your inputs

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
longranger

spiral wrap

Post by longranger »

I have a couple of spiral wraps and love them. Plan to get more. Positive feature is that they eliminate torque under load that a strong fish puts on you with 30# test and over.

Negative. The guides are not on one side of the blank which makes me worry that they will be more vulnerable to damage, particularly during transport. Line runs mostly on the bottom of the blank making it a little easier to saw off fellow anglers using conventional gear.

Longranger.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Just don't have Scott Throop of Deep Color build you any of those Funk Master rods.

Thats my adviced besides, me laughing at ya. With your Funk Masters.

Gimmicky....never liked them. See as many down sides as up sides if there is any.

Same reason I dispise spinning rods, with their monsterous guides sticking out all over the place snagging on on other rods while in transit.

Why don't ya just go with those "inner" rods where the line passes thru the rod. I think Diawa still makes them. Same deal, another mouse trap.

What was that buzz term on that old TV show, Living Color with the Wayen bros. and Jim Kerry........."HATED IT".

ZANE GREY, used Lemon wood rods (sticks), and what we'd call today really crappy guides and line and caught fish bigger than you'll ever lay eyes on. And he wasn't using Funk Master rods, with goofy guides.
(per my many visits to the IGFA museum in Dania, Fl.) :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic