Donator ,15

Stretching a SAFEBoat

Post by welderbob »

trying again, sorry.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Re: Stretching a SAFEBoat

Post by welderbob »

I don't understand, I've made the file as small as I can.

Bob
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Welderbob,
I noticed in the first post you're text strings were the full word "image" where you typed [image] and the close string [/image]? If I'm not mistaken the text string used by the phpBB software is [ img] along with [/ img]?

NOTE: I added a space before the img part of the string to stop the text from being a violation of the URL linking.... othewise the software will kick out the two switches as invalid?

I store on Photobucket, the go to the image and get the 'copy location' link to provide the phpBB software used here to find the link and display it. When I paste that link/URL into the text of the post I use the switches shown above at the beginning and end of the pic's link.

So [ img]link URL[/ img] ***will display the image file located at the "link URL" location? I generally store in medium resolution, smaller than 800 pixels (per side) image files; so they can be used for display without causing slow down in the link or unusually high traffic for the server running the phpBB application hosting the Forum?

that's what I understand, hope it is some help in your displaying images and showing us what you're doing?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK

*** each switch string has the inserted space- that space is not present in the actual use of this set of switches.
kmorin
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

I went to attachments and hit "add file". linked a jpg. from my desktop. comes back as to big and will not download. I tried it at the smallest resolution . I've done this before, more than once???

Bob
RCSO

Post by RCSO »

The photo posting software on this site sucks. There are a load of sites like eBay that work. Please get a new some new software.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Bob, RCSO,
just a couple of notes about phpBB software.... its not expensive, is used by lots of bulletin board type Forums, and allows a nice, manageable interface for users AND managers who have to keep the board or Forum operating!

Welder, our host, is not posting from his new villa on the Mediterranean coast of France- that I'm aware? He's not making enough to buy his new hand made yacht- but like all of us he's trying to help the welded boat community hold a discussion- not whine- discussion.

He's footing the bill for all our online images ANd comments.... and if the ads, subscribers and any other revenue at the site don't add up to enough to keep the server's payments current?? I suspect that welder has to pony up!

However, on his behalf and with absolutely no authorization I will say that you, RSCO, may purchase the custom programming used by Ebay and donate it to welder- that way; you'll be able to use the software of your own choice....

Now, where exactly you're going to come up with plural millions of dollars to get the eBay software license- well?? that's the same place your remark entitles you to be - or go? Maybe that is harsh? but then; I found your remark not only foolish but you've embarrassed yourself totally by your rudeness.

So, for those of us who seem to be able to understand how to manage picture/image file posting online... and don't make silly remarks expressive of our ignorance of basic file handling...... I look forward to you spending the millions needed to buy eBay's interface app and letting the AAB.com Forum use that software instead of the phpBB app that is so disappointing you?

NOTE: For those who are not familiar with digital image files there are 2, that's two different issues to consider and if you can't be bothered to address them? then you can't post images online at phpBB powered forums. In my experience in the work place; there are "2 cant's" there too? In the work place: "if you can't get it- you can't stay."

As to online posting (?) if you can't understand the difference between resolution and picture size or dimensions- you can't post online on phpBB driven Forums! One term is "resolution" this means how many pixels (dots of color) are provided in any square area- so the image could be high resolution or low but .... the main limit to posting digital files is dimensions or width and length of the rows of pixels. WHen you use any photo editing software use the Size command and set the image size to less than 800x800 even 799 x 799 will work!

I think most phpBB's need to have images smaller than 800 pixels per side in order to handle the file as an "attachment", link or reference? I'm prepared to be wrong about the size... but I always limit my images files to 800 x 800 max size and medium to low resolution (two different attributes) and not one time have I EVer had a SinglE problem posting my files?

Note that countless other posters have similar experiences to mine? I think you should offer an apology for your rudeness, RCSO, spend a minute learning what's needed to handle images in the phpBB format.... or pony up and buy welder the eBay software suite so you don't have to learn to use the internet???

Welderbob, resolution on your hard drive is not the issue if the link is not always active! The [ img] set of switches will not work very well if you're offline! If you'd like to make and 'attachment' where you upload to the AAB.com server to StoRe your image- there is another switch/text string that will allow a file to be uploaded from your hard drive so the file is not accessed here by a URL, which is what happens with the [ img] text switch.

To upload you'll need to use some photo editing to get the sizes down to 800^2 in order to be handled by the phpBB app.

I'm not usually one to become upset RSCO, being an advocate of patience online: but your remarks are rude and uncalled for and you owe welder & co. an apology - they didn't write phpBB they just used it to make a place for PoLiTe chat about plate boats!~

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Well said Kevin Morin :beer:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Test picture
claudiasAlaskatrip2012 475.JPG
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Go to where you type your post and click the FULL EDITOR & PREVIEW button.
Scroll down the page a little more.
Click attachments.
Click ad file button.
Select your picture.
Then click the ADD INLINE button and BAM there it is.

Yes , you may have to resize you picture smaller so it will fit the screen if it will not come through.

Keven, thanks for jumping in, since Photo Bucket is wanting to charge me hundreds of dollars a year to HOST photos as a 3rd party site it has made sharing pictures harder.
Rumor has it that the next upgrade for PHBbb will have a way better photo editor and I sure hope it does as I have felt like shooting my monitor some nights .
So everyone peace out and have a very Merry Christmas.
Lester,
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

winstead 3.jpg
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Ok, there is something about the pictures??????????? I have resize them and they still will not attach. This just proves to me that it works. I'll get it, maybe not today.

Bob
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Breaking ice in an Alloy..... WAY COOL
Lester,
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Merry Christmas to all here at AAB!

Hey Bob, why stretch a Safe Boat? Those things are complicated a well as having to come up with a longer foam collar would be an issue.
alumioforte

Post by alumioforte »

I tend to agree, there are lots of opensource free software forum programs that allow you to attach a jpeg image. On this site you basically have to convert the image to code to get the image to display. Not the end of the world but can be frustrating.
alumioforte

Post by alumioforte »

Also yes-instead of stretching a SAFE, have Inventech (life proof boats) make you a new one. They are amazing boats and priced very well when you look at how they're built. www.lifeproofboats.com It is owned by the owner of SAFE boats
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

If you think that pictures was cool, this guy was breaking 10" of ice. My poor boat. I'll try the safeboat pictures from my work computer.

The reason to stretch a safeboat is because the customer wanted a bigger boat and he owns several of these surplus boats. The customer has the foam collar handled.

Merry Christmas to all,
Welderbob
Attachments
bullshark 2.jpg
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

lets try this again. this picture is the boat back together again.I'll have to try reloading the construction pictures, they still will not load.
welderbob
Attachments
safeboat6.jpg
safeboat6.jpg (107.03 KiB) Viewed 30624 times
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

I've reloaded the photo from my phone and with Les new magic ,the picture look like they are working. So the first step was to figure out where the fuel tank was. As a side note it is impossible to remove the fuel tank from a 25' SAFEBoat with out totally hacking up the boat. We were able to lift the front of the tank enough to cut under it, otherwise it would not come out without a lot more cutting in the back.
Let me post this before I loose it or it doesn't work.
welderbob
Attachments
boat cut in half, the real magic is to get it back together.
boat cut in half, the real magic is to get it back together.
safeboat1.jpg (120.17 KiB) Viewed 30624 times
this is the back section.
this is the back section.
safeboat2.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 30624 times
front half
front half
safeboat3.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 30624 times
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

inspired!
We found the framing in the boat a little different. There are longitudinal stringers,cut the transverse frames go off on a 45 degree angle. We put it back together similar to there construction. We did use a transverse frame 90 degrees to the longs because we used it for the support for the fuel tank.
Attachments
safeboat5.jpg
safeboat5.jpg (84.79 KiB) Viewed 30624 times
safeboat7.jpg
safeboat7.jpg (115.48 KiB) Viewed 30624 times
20171130_155726.jpg
20171130_155726.jpg (99.88 KiB) Viewed 30624 times
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

So was that a 25 footer? How much are you adding? I've been working on a few of those as they are made near me and quite a few are in private hands now as the agencies that bought them originally are starting to surplus them out.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Sorry, we added 9'6". Some of the challenges have been getting the fuel tank out and matching the custom extrusion that Safeboat uses for the running strake. We made something very close by cutting down a 2x2x 1/4 Tee.
We have a cabin extension planned, so more to follow.
Happy New Years,
Welderbob
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Welderbob, great job on uploading the pictures.
The fun part about adding anything [Photo software] is when We do an upgrade the pics sometimes don't make the trip and we loose them. Hopefully what we have done will work fine as it should be compatible with phpBB.
Happy New Year and keep the Pics coming.
:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:
Lester,
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Time to move on the next phase of this project. The whole purpose of this project was to make the boat bigger and move the helm off of the bow. Yes there is a visibility issue at the very bow. There may need to be a lower row of windows. The customer should be around this weekend to OK what we have done. At this point everything is just tacked and subject to change.
Attachments
safeboat cabin 1.jpg
safeboat cabin 1.jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 30328 times
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Sorry guys it will not turn right-side up
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

trying this again. saved pictures both ways, posting both?????????see what happens If you right click on top picture and "view image" the boat is right side up. ??
Welderbob
Attachments
safeboat cabin 1.jpg
safeboat cabin 1.jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 30320 times
safeboat cabin upside .jpg
safeboat cabin upside .jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 30320 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic