Fuel filtration - dealing with crappy gas

Get help and share Ideas
Chaps
Donator '09

Fuel filtration - dealing with crappy gas

Post by Chaps »

I think I've found the answer to achieving more robust filtration/water separation than what can be typically bought for small gasoline boats at the marine stores. The Sierra/Merc style spin-ons are OK but you can't drain them and the gas Racor filter/separators are just too small and the elements are way expensive for what they are IMO (and the drains are crappy too).

Anyway, I've been looking for a reasonably priced way to handle all the water & crud build-up that seems to end up in boat tanks these days. I'm redoing my LaConner and have come up with the following system using stuff from the heavy truck and fuel dispensing world.

The filter on the left is primarily a water separator, its made by Baldwin and it is the first stage of the system. It doesn't have a paper element inside. It is built with a 200 micron stainless steel mesh screen instead of paper. It's job is to catch all the big junk and it will likely never need to be replaced due to clogging unless I really take on some bad fuel. The main thing it provides is lots of water catching capacity and an industrial style drain on the bottom so I can maintain better control of h2o trying to make its way to the engine. Its part number is Baldwin BF7759 and I got it from Associated Diesel http://www.adiesel.com/ for $40.

The white filter on the right is the second stage, it also has very large capacity and it also has a drain for any water that might get past the Baldwin. It is a conventional paper element but its filtration is better than average at 12 microns which is a pretty small particle when you are talking gasoline systems. The regular Merc type spin-ons are 30 micron though Sierra is now selling a 10 micron filter but IMO its too small for a filter that size with that fine an element. This filter is made by Wix and its part number is 33418. I bought a half dozen of them from a guy on ebay for $9.00 ea. They are fairly common.

The mounting heads for the filters are also made by Wix, their part number is 24309 or they can be ordered by any Napa dealer, part number 4309. The two filters I described above will fit the OMC marine type spin-on mount heads (1"-12 threads) but the inlets and outlets on the OMC heads don't allow for direct coupling together of the heads with a pipe nipple like in the installed pictured above. I bought these filter heads from Fleet Filter http://www.fleetfilter.com/SearchResults2.asp for $25 ea

Anyway, I hope this is the answer. I work on quite a few boats and it seems that water in fuel messing up carbs & injection is the biggest problem these days. Its been a problem for me on my own boats too so we'll see if this system gives me a leg up.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Re: Fuel filtration - dealing with crappy gas

Post by welder »

Keep an eye on your low pressure fuel pump while using all those filters.

I have the Racor with clear bowl and the three that come on my Honda for a total of four filters.
How many come on your new OB ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

The Suzuki has 2 filters, a low pressure and a high.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Chaps , I don't know if the Suki's have a problem with to much filter but some motors do. I don't go smaller than 10 microns until the High Pressure filter .

I do like your set up . :highfive:
Lester,
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I didn't see anything in the Suzuki svc manual or rigging guide about preliminary filtration but I understand that it can be an issue if the filters are too restrictive. We'll see what happens but these are big filters designed to flow upwards of 12 gals a minute.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Go for it and let us know how it goes , with High Flow filters it should rock and roll. :thumbsup:
Lester,
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Chaps,

you should look into the napa gold filters, baldwin can get pricey. Baldwin and napa gold are made in the same plant, but they won't tell you that.

Manufacturer Part Number Manufacturer Abbr. NAPA Part Number
BF7759 BALDWIN BAL 3624
BF7759 BALDWIN BAL 3764
BF7759 HASTINGS HAS 3624
BF7759 HASTINGS HAS 3764 <-------- this has the bowl

I did this the same thing you did with a two stage filter set up. Found the filter and inserts at wallymart for $5/each. Better then the $35 - 89
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

21ftcc wrote:Chaps,

you should look into the napa gold filters, baldwin can get pricey. Baldwin and napa gold are made in the same plant, but they won't tell you that.

Manufacturer Part Number Manufacturer Abbr. NAPA Part Number
BF7759 BALDWIN BAL 3624
BF7759 BALDWIN BAL 3764
BF7759 HASTINGS HAS 3624
BF7759 HASTINGS HAS 3764 <-------- this has the bowl

I did this the same thing you did with a two stage filter set up. Found the filter and inserts at wallymart for $5/each. Better then the $35 - 89
Hey - good info, ya sure about Baldwin=Napa Gold? I thought it was Wix=Napa Gold. Anyway, I'll look into Wally's, its quite a ways from where I live.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

When I bought them they were in the back, covered in dust with a sale tag on them. They normally run $35 a pop. I couldn't say no
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Chaps,
Good write up :thumbsup:
From looking at some other forums, it seems that they mention a 10 micron filter (which you may already have up at the motor) to protect the EFI systems, mainly the screen on the high pressure pump and the injectors.
They mention the new fuels with greater than 10% ethanol causing all kinds of problems.
Everything from high absorption of moisture to deteriorating fuel lines and breaking down the walls of FG fuel tanks (ie; extra crappy gas)

Hey, have you considered installing a vacuum gauge that you T off in-line to monitor how much restriction there is?

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I have the feeling that our man Chaps is the kinda guy that "goes the xtra mile".

I thought I had enough with a Racor, and then the two Honda filters under the hood, as Welder mentioned.
My 1995 fuel injected Ford truck doesn't have anything like that. And I get my same fuel for the boat at the same places I fill the ole beater truck.

Do ya'll realize this man has a "porta-bracketed" big cabin alloy boat....and he maybe the soul person in that whole area who has such a cool set-up on a boat like that?

I can DIG it. And his redundency minded ideas.
Let's see first, he may have us all going his way soon.

Cool stuff. :thumbsup:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Thanks Dave, I'm kind of obsessive about stuff that can leave you dead in the water 30 miles offshore . . .
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic