Scuppers

Get help and share Ideas
pjay9

Scuppers

Post by pjay9 »

I'd like to install a couple of scuppers on my new Raider, but if I measure it correctly it is very close or at the resting waterline. Has anyone got a safe and effective method of accomplishing this? They need to be able to handle small bits of debris, blood and guts, herring heads, whatever! THX Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Scuppers

Post by Chaps »

pjay9 wrote:I'd like to install a couple of scuppers on my new Raider, but if I measure it correctly it is very close or at the resting waterline. Has anyone got a safe and effective method of accomplishing this? They need to be able to handle small bits of debris, blood and guts, herring heads, whatever! THX Capt PJ
If it wasn't designed to be self bailing you're playing with fire by adding those holes . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Just trying to figure a way of not washing the blood into the bilge! Yes you are right! But I have seen some fancy systems to accomplish the task...just wondering if anyone has any ideas i can develop. I saw one way gizmo on a hitech aluminum RIB that allowed out flow with a ball in a tube set up...in fact there was a whole line of these on each side of the engines across the transom. Thx for your words of caution. I wouldn't do anything to put a vessel in peril. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
IronwoodIsland

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Hi

I'm upgrading the rubber flap scuppers on my 20' Ironwood with Rabud ball in cone scuppers. These gizmos have a floating (barely) ball that looks like a ping pong ball but a bit bigger in a see through plastic cone that you can remove to clean if necessary. There is a soft silicone like seat for the ball and a smallish slot at the bottom of the cone for the water to drain out.

I'm a bit puzzled by the way that the ball sits in the cone though - it looks like the ball sits near the seat, if water pushes into the cone it is obviously meant to seat the ball but it looks like the ball would just float up unless the seat is rotated so that it is upwards. But there is a little nub that prevents the seat from rotating, forcing the seat to be on the lower side next to the slot. It just looks like the seat should be the other way. You can sort of see what I mean at their website.

http://www.rabud.com/seascupper2.htm or at http://www.rabud.com/scupper_images.htm

Yrs, Graham
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Thx for the info...sent them an email for more details. I hope to make it up your way someday. THX Capt PJ
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I always wondered about blood, guts, etc with those ping pong ball scuppers. It seems like they would be rendered useless pretty quick if you were washing bait pieces or guts off the deck.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
IronwoodIsland

Re: Scuppers and bilgewash

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Worst cargo of muck I ever had was after hauling some hay for my sister (Easter time kids candy dig - dump a pile of hay on the beach with a bag of candy under it - let the kids go wild looking for it .....)

Took months to get the hay out of the bottom of the boat. Lots of memories!
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Looks like they make them in different sizes that should be able to handle some debris...you'd think!
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

You want scuppers. These are scuppers. They are made down here. In fact I sent two sets to an AAB member last year.
UPDATE. Noticed that you have little clearance above the waterline. Might want to look at some sort of SS mesh basket in your bilge well to catch the crud.

Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

IronwoodIsland wrote:Hi

I'm upgrading the rubber flap scuppers on my 20' Ironwood with Rabud ball in cone scuppers. These gizmos have a floating (barely) ball that looks like a ping pong ball but a bit bigger in a see through plastic cone that you can remove to clean if necessary. There is a soft silicone like seat for the ball and a smallish slot at the bottom of the cone for the water to drain out.

I'm a bit puzzled by the way that the ball sits in the cone though - it looks like the ball sits near the seat, if water pushes into the cone it is obviously meant to seat the ball but it looks like the ball would just float up unless the seat is rotated so that it is upwards. But there is a little nub that prevents the seat from rotating, forcing the seat to be on the lower side next to the slot. It just looks like the seat should be the other way. You can sort of see what I mean at their website.

http://www.rabud.com/seascupper2.htm or at http://www.rabud.com/scupper_images.htm

Yrs, Graham
The Rabud scuppers get easily clogged with leaves and such debris. Tried them on my ole MayCraft glass boat years ago. Fish scales, the size of guitar pics was my problem. And they didn't move water FAST enough in my case.

Pete in Brisbane, AU posted some scupper possibilities once. The Austrailians seem to have it a bit better figured out than North Americans. "Aw hell.......they got it going on completely, I believe" :thumbsup:

There's almost nothing more frustrating than a scupper problem. I had tried everything on that old boat over the 10 years I had it. And the Rabuds may work on the Dusky boats (same group of people own both companies, I think) but they didn't work for me.
IronwoodIsland

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Well, I'm finally going to fix my scuppers - I got let down by them a bit yesterday:

We had a change of weather and a squall blew through. My 20 foot Ironwood cabin top was getting blown around seriously as I manouvered next to the pillars of our dock, which at the moment has two vertical mooring chains and a "holdoff bouy" that I use to pull the boat away from the dock when moored. While jinking around in the wind I managed to get the side line to the bouy wound tight around the prop (not easy to do as the spar bouy has a 6 foot copper pipe up through it to prevent both weeds growing and catching your prop on the anchor line. Stern to the rollers, 10 feet off the rocks, dragging the anchor another foot onto the rocks with each heave of the waves with the motor winched down tight with the 5/8 samson braid guitar string tight so I can't lift the engine. The silly rubber flap scuppers cave in against the waves and 6" of water gushes in through the scuppers and sloshs about in the cockpit with the engine taking a bath and my boat load load of gear at risk. Boat takes a bonk onto the rocks before i can get the pike pole out and push off, finally get the boat turned around into the wind, shorted up on the anchor line, grabbed the knife and did the quick rope-ectomy. Having a boat full of water added just the missing ingredient, otherwise it would have been just another day on the water.

As I'm a bit skeptical on the Rabuds, I'm going to first try adding some 1/16th in Al stiffener plates, bolted to the outside of the rubber flaps, sized just a bit bigger than the 6" by 2" scupper openings. These will keep them from curling and pulling through the opening, but still let the rubber seal the opening when shut. Also thought about pulling some rubber bungey cord (shock cord for any non Canadian North Americans) through a hole in the plate and the rubber to a clam cleat on the inside so I can pull and lock the scuppers shut in that kind of a situation.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Holy Crap........that sounded like some kinda troubles from a space walk outside the Hubel telescope. The jargan, I mean.
Pike pole, samsom braid, spar buoy, :roll: :lol: :?: :shock: Ya almost lost me!! :rotfl:

Whatever all that was, sounds complicated. Remind me to never do it.

I'll continue to just pull up to the dock and drive her on the ole rolls-axle trailer and head to my Ranchero Delux.

I think I'll qoute myself:
"There's almost nothing more frustrating than a scupper problem."

If I can find them, you can have my ole Rabud "ping-pong ball" scuppers if ya want.

C'C'mon...
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

After that you need to change your handle to "Iron-man" :smile: Glad it all worked out...the same squall hit Seattle and Tacoma we had white caps on Lake Union and it chased a NOAA ship off of Elliott Bay sent her for cover over by the USCG docks. Glad it all turned out well! Now after all that what have you learned or are going to modify at your mooring? It was refreshing to read all the lingo as it makes good sense...but what is a spar buoy? Can you post a pic of your mooring? BTW on some charter boats I have been on the rubber flapper scuppers had a couple of horizontal rods spanning the opening just to keep the rubber from pushing in...this allowed the rubber to be flexible/seal easy and a light as possible so it would open easy yet not allow inward push from the sea. Horizontal allows stuff on the deck to wash out with out getting hung up as it would if they were vertical. Sure glad you kept he round side down! Take care! Capt PJ
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

-how abouts a photo of this Ironwood 20 cabin, existing scupper'age?

I always thought the ole sock looking things on the safeboats were kinda cool...

don't ever bother with these....they don't work
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Just install a back flow preventor.
http://www.canplasplumbing.com/pricelis ... ve_Bro.pdf
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic