Painting the inside of an aluminum boat

Get help and share Ideas
Fudd_Elmer

Painting the inside of an aluminum boat

Post by Fudd_Elmer »

I originally posted this question on another forum and it was recommended that I ask this question here.

The inside of my Gregor is looking pretty rough, the paint is gone in some spots, and has rust stains from a steel chain in others, I was kicking around the idea of having the inside Rhino lined (or other spray on bed lining). Have any of you tried this or have a better suggestion or is it a bad idea all together?
peterbo3
Contributor

Re: Painting the inside of an aluminum boat

Post by peterbo3 »

G'Day Elmer,
Welcome aboard. :highfive: :highfive:
I HATE PAINT. Chips, cracks, fades, costs big $$$$ but worst of all it allows alloy to corrode. Aluminium left exposed to air will quickly oxidise & the resulting dull finish remains stable due to the very thin coat of aluminium oxide. Paint, once damaged, allows salt laden moisture in which cannot dry out & will cause severe corrosion as evidenced by the bubbles which form under the paint near the breach.
Get the existing paint soda blasted & live happily with bare alloy. If the rust is from anchor chain, use the money you save by not painting & get some SS chain.
Last edited by peterbo3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Fudd_Elmer

Post by Fudd_Elmer »

I would leave it bare, but its a little boat and the floor gets awfully slick as it is. I was hoping the Rhino or Dur-X type coting would give it some none slip as well as protect it. But you're saying that's a bad idea... humm.... more food for thought.
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Elmer,
If you are concerned about a slippery floor, there are strip non skid products which can be glued into position. I would not cover the entire floor with Rhino liner as the strips should do the job.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

welcome elmer...

Ya have seen the USCG Safe boats right? The 400K tax payer paid for boats? Yeah, big bucks for sure and they have nothing but the 3M strips and patches of adhesive non-skid on them.

My boats and all Pacifics are painted inside with a pretty kick-azz epoxy non-skid deck paint. I like it. But can see Pete's point too.
I like the paint in my boat and it was a reason I liked it from the beggining.

If it's a little boat, the HD 3M strips maybe the cheapest thing and easiest to do. A cool tread pattern always looks good.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Clean it and get the rubber coin hole mats. will be cheaper and better for the reason Peter said. Aluminum Paint prep is a PIA to make it last
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

goatram wrote:Clean it and get the rubber coin hole mats. will be cheaper and better for the reason Peter said. Aluminum Paint prep is a PIA to make it last
John, do you have any contact info for those mats? I have seen several of them, but no idea where to get 'em!
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Costco has them at times
Lowes and home depot has them and rubber mats and rubber backed carpet as well
Carpet kinda bites wet dogs thou. fish guts, worms and bait get mashed into them and then you need to clean instead of rinsing.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic