live well

Get help and share Ideas
RODBUSTER
Location: Central Florida, east coast....originally from New Hampshire

live well

Post by RODBUSTER »

I hope that I'm in the right place to ask this question.
I'm located in Florida and I have a 17ft center console aluminum project boat that I have been working on for quite a while.
My dilemma is the live well. It's only a 12 gallon NON ALLOY rectangular tank but in need of paint. I've been told by a couple of people that if I use the wrong paint, my bait will die off. All I need is a pint (or less) or a spray can of white paint.

Any comments or ideas on what kind of paint to use???

Thanks
RODBUSTER
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: live well

Post by Chaps »

Well, you're asking a question about a non-aluminum situation but I would do it in epoxy
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
RODBUSTER

Post by RODBUSTER »

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, the live well is NON ALLOY and it is the only item on the boat that is not aluminum.

Getting back to the live well, when you say " epoxy ", can this stuff be sprayed on or painted on? As you can see, I'm not familiar with what's involved in using epoxy. I always figured "epoxy" was a two process operation.

Once again, thank you for your reply.

RODBUSTER
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I also have a NON ALLOY live well [ 47 gallons ] and yes Epoxy is normally a 2 part deal most is brushed on then sanded back down .
Let me see if we can get Bobby here [warthog5] he is our got to FG guy.

:thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Any comments or ideas on what kind of paint to use???
1st there are no Epoxy paints in a spray can. I don't care what the label says. Epoxy is a 2 part system. If you put it in a can it would get hard and not spray.

Sherwin Williams "Tile Clad HS" is the paint of choice. It is a true epoxy paint. It is mainly used to paint the inside of water towers, which is "Potable water" meaning you can drink it.

It only comes in a gal kit for the smallest volume. That is 1gal of part A and 1 gal of part B. It is aprox $100 for the kit.

No is not all that cheap for your project, but it is the right product. Other paints exposed directly to water for a period of time will alligator or blister.

By the way....A true Epoxy paint that is exposed to direct sunlight will chalk after some time. The UV rays will do this.

So.....I use it inside of a console, inside of a cuddy and to paint bilges.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
RODBUSTER

Post by RODBUSTER »

Thank you welder and warthog.
Think I 'll take ride over to our local Sherwin Williams and talk to them about this "Tile Clad HS".
It's too bad that I would have to buy such a large quantity for such a small project but that's my problem, not yours.

Thanks again for your responses.
Rodbuster
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Get rid of that well and replace it with plastic..."the other non-alloy".

IF it's not part of the boat. It would be allot better to show a photo of it, is this a Bass Tracker or something? Or a Plate boat?
If so they make replacement tanks for those tracker type boats.
RODBUSTER

Post by RODBUSTER »

I was just reading some of my old posts about painting and noticed that JETTYWOLF had replied to a question that I posted. Sorry that I didn't answer your reply Dave, no excuses, I just never got back to that topic.
Not a good way to treat a fellow Floridian.
Dave, it's a plate boat...... and I have the bait/live well problem resolved. A friend of mine that works on NON ALLOY (is that word allowed in here???) gave me some epoxy and it came out great.
Thanks again to "everybody" that replied.

Rodbuster
RODBUSTER

Post by RODBUSTER »

Kool. I typed in (or tried to type in) the word fyburrglazz and it automatically changed it to "NON ALLOY" :thumbsup:

Wow, you guys are really hard-core.
I will now go and say 10 Hail Marys and promise never to say that again. :clap:

Rodbuster
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I guess ya could say. We got it all figured out.

I use "Keepalive" www.keepalive.net tanks in my Non-NON ALLOY boat, and in Florida. Holding mostly live shrimpz. But also Pogies, Threadfin Herring, Spanish Sardines, Cigar Minnows, Baby Croakers, Mullet and mud minnows.
My wash down pump is also a water feed for one tank and I cut slts in the side at the high water mark, I let water just spill out and right down the big scuppers in my boat. Both keepalive aerators are hooked up to a timer and can shut down independently, or both on and cycling.

Then I also have a timer hoioked up to my washdown pump and use it for washdown duties or as a pump for one of the tanks as a pogie tank. I can adjust the wash down to run for a minute or two and off for up to 7 minutes.

It took awhile, but like AAB.com I gotz it all figured out and running like the "do -all"boat the Jettywolf is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic