Paint for aluminum

Get help and share Ideas
RODBUSTER
Location: Central Florida, east coast....originally from New Hampshire

Paint for aluminum

Post by RODBUSTER »

Good morning,
I've seen quite a few posts on people painting their aluminum boats but I can't find any telling "what kind" of paint to use. I would like to know the "specific name" of such paints and primers if you think that I need a primer.

I'll tell you a little about the boat and also what is important to me.
The boat is a 17ft center console all aluminum boat. I have removed all of the old paint right down to the metal (I did a really good job). The boat is trailered when I want to use it and it is used in salt water in Florida. I wash my gear and my boat "every time" that I use it.

I'm not looking to make a showboat out of it but I do want it to look good, neat and clean. I don't want to shoot my fishing partner because he put a scratch in the deck while moving the cooler, so forget the BMW finish. I want something that I can apply myself and touch-up myself for future scratches.
I would like a product that is reasonably priced so that I will have money left for fuel. I would also like the person reading this to pay for the product..... just kidding.

As you have probably gathered, I am not familiar with paint products so please don't get too technical on me. I do feel that I carry alot of common sense so if spraying is "the only" way to go, I'll buy a sprayer.

Thank you for any responses.
Rodbuster
Last edited by RODBUSTER on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Re: Test

Post by waterdog247 »

Should I have studied? :thumbsup:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Test

Post by goatram »

Room 222 TV show of the early 1970's :clap:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
MacCTD

Re: Paint for aluminum

Post by MacCTD »

If I was starting with a bare hull I would paint the floor with a truck bedliner product like Herculiner, http://www.herculiner.com/product_info.html
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Epoxy paint and primer that made by the same manufacturer. I put Zolatone paint on mine for the splatter effect last year.
Problems are you need a paint Gun and a good compressor, respirator, air dryer, and a place to shoot it. The devil is in the detail work.

Petit paint is another maker. Your Local Automotive Paint Supplier Can find you a product that you can use and live with.

All about the prep, Quality of product and the tools that you use to apply the paint.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Most important thing about painting an aluminum boat is to remove the oxide layer that has formed on the metal then immediately apply your initial primer. I typically abrasive blast the boat to remove the oxide and create a profile, rinse with water, blow off with air and as soon as its thoroughly dry then asap apply interlux 6455 2 part etch primer. Over that I apply Petit Alumaprotect 2 part epoxy primer 4400/4401. Over that most any decent quality urethane topside paint like Interlux Perfection (reasonable price, pretty tough, easy to apply, etc.) or any good enamel.
RODBUSTER

Post by RODBUSTER »

This is exactly the type of information that I am looking for. Thanks alot guys.

If anyone else has any input, I would welcome it.

Thanks again,
Rodbuster
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I was ready to buy the paint for you until you said " Just kidding " heck I was even going to pay for shipping .

:joecool:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
RODBUSTER

Post by RODBUSTER »

WOW..... did you guys read the post before this one, from welder?

I'm new to this forum..... how do you edit? :rotfl:

Rodbuster
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Prep and timing is everything. There are a lot of suitable brands all of which will come with data sheets/application guides. Follow their advice to the letter, generally speaking the key is to go from step to step as fast as possible. Don't let oxide re-form before priming, if the boat sits around for a long time between priming and painting then lightly sand and re-prime before painting. In theory the epoxy based products are usable across brands but if you're new to the game stick to a single brand.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
RODBUSTER

Post by RODBUSTER »

I've received some real good information from your posts.
Thank you for all of your responses.

Rodbuster
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic