Extrusions

Get help and share Ideas
mysticmarine

Extrusions

Post by mysticmarine »

Does anyone know where I can purchase extrusions for the outer gunnel and chine seams? The seams are already formed and tack welded. I am starting to weld my inside longitudinal seams now. I was going to split some pipe and weld it on but if I can purchase something that will save me some time I think it is worth it. I am open to any profile. I'm located outside of Boston but can pick up or pay for shipping. Thanks!!
welder
Site Admin

Re: Extrusions

Post by welder »

Those extrusions are GROOVED to except the Gunwale to the hull then fillet welds are done or you might say the extrusion connects the two pieces.
You can try contacting Pacific boats and ask Julie about a supplier of said parts .

PICTURES ?????
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mysticmarine

Post by mysticmarine »

I was going to call them but I don't want to be a bother to them. They are building boats to make money.

I'll try to to get some pics up soon once I figure how. I'm building a 26' downeast style picnic boat. It started as a downeast style lobster boat but we wanted more cabin space....now it's my own design.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Try Yarde Metals (CT) or Pierce aluminum (Franklin Mass I think) here in Mass.

Also try to contact Bill or Jack at Winninghoff boats on the North Shore. They will point you in the right direction :thumbsup:
mysticmarine

Post by mysticmarine »

I talked to my salesman at Pierce, they don't have anything nor does he know where to get it. My salesman at Yarde is sending me a list of stock profiles now but it does not sound promising.

I did work out an easy solution for splitting pipe, I fixtured it in my waterjet. It cut thru both walls of the pipe very nicely. MUCH quicker, easier, safer, and cheaper than the table saw. So I'm probably just going to go back to my original idea of using split pipe in 12' lengths.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

we could get into a whole discussion as to why you want to put a pipe on that outside end at the chine. You get better spray separation at the chine with a sharp corner. On a rounded corner the water wants to ride up around the pipe creating a little more drag. Think of a spoon dragging in the water. I do like the idea of cutting the pipe with the waterjet. Will it cut both sides at once? You'll want to use a smaller rather than bigger size pipe. You could probably cap the corner with a split piece of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" .
Thats alot of welding to get that on ,4 welds the length of the boat. And it should be water tight. Wouldn't hurt to put a 1/4" threaded bung in the end and pressure test it.

Good luck with your project and where are the pictures.
Welderbob
mysticmarine

Post by mysticmarine »

Good point about the additional drag compared to a sharp chine but all in all it is a full keel cruiser. It has 135 Cummings that I'm estimating will push it at about 25 knots.....not a screamer. My waterjet was able to cut thru both wall thickness at once. At the chine I will cut the pipe in half and at the gunnel I offset the cut to use 3/4 of the pipe diameter. Yes it will add 4 full lengths welds but at this point, what is 100' more..couple of hours.

Is there a post somewhere explaining how to post pics?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Go to your pro file and start a ALBUM to post pictures there OR as you type your post [ before you hit the submit button ] scroll down a little and click on the " UPLOAD ATTACHMENT" tab and follow directions to upload from your PC directly to your post.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
NTGeorge

Post by NTGeorge »

You should be able to buy whats called half pipe, which is exactly what you are making. I get it in 50mm/2" dia. I use this for the rub rail at the top where the side sheets meet the top gunnel.

Any decent alloy supplier should stock this.
[url]www.ntunique.com.au[url]
Custom Plate Boats
Boat Modifications and Repairs
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic