The Polywave Roof Remodel

Get help and share Ideas
Polywave

The Polywave Roof Remodel

Post by Polywave »

I purchased a 22' ACB in Bellingham in 2002. It's their first prototype, sold to a guy from Montana who wanted to start a guide service in Alaska. But by the time the guide showed up to purchase it, ACB was licensed to build 26' boats (up from 22') and the guide refused to take delivery of mine. I showed up and purchased it. Lucky for me, the guide had ACB tow it to Lake Spokane where he sent someone from Montana to power it. When I purchased it, ACB threw in the Armstrong bracket and 2 motors (130HP & 9.9HP Honda 4-strokes)!

Well, I've decided that I couldn't live with my boat the way it came any more. So I decided to remodel it for the following reasons:

* The rear facing windshield reflects the interior of the cabin directly into my eyes, making it difficult to see at night.
* The rear facing windshield and the slanted side windows receive rain directly, making them difficult to see out of when
it's raining.
* There is no reasonable place to store spare rods.
* The curent roof lacks tie down rails, and is too small and not flat enough to store crab/shirmp gear.
* The radar arch & rod holders are in the way when moving gear from the deck to the roof.

I decided that the best way to resolve these issues is to replace the windshield and roof.

* I will slant the windshield forward to resolve the reflection issues.
* I will provide a larger roof that overhangs the windshield & windows to prevent rain from falling on them when it's
raining.
* I will create rod storage in the eves of the roof.
* I will increase the surface area of the roof, make it flat and add tie down rails to the roof.
* I will move the radar arch to the front of the roof, and move the rod holders to the side of the cabin.
* I will also add a ladder on the side of the cabin to make it easier to get on/off the roof.

I started by removing the helm and then cutting the original dash board, roof and windshield out of the boat. Because I store my boat outside, I tarped it so that I could work on it in the rain. Unfortunately, it was quite dark inside. I fabricated an acrylic roof and can now work inside the boat with plenty of light.
I already had shore power to the boat, so I added an AC outlet. This enabled me to use my AC power tools inside the boat.

Using SolidWorks, I modeled the boat from the cabin up and then designed a new roof eve & windshield frame. Here's some pictures of how it's turned out so far:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: The Polywave Roof Remodel

Post by goatram »

I do like the Look. It makes for a better looking Boat. The ACB and Stabi Craft take some Looking for it to grow on you and the Forard slant makes it look like a battle Tank. Standing By to assist
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

IT is going to be WAR WAGON! Looking really nice! Keep the pics coming. Always fun to hear others stories and ideas. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Polywave

Post by Polywave »

Submitted drawings for the roof parts this week. Was turned down by the first sheetmetal shop, their press brake can do up to 90" and I have some bent edges at 128". Called a second shop today (Alaskan Copper & Brass in Seattle) and they said they can do it. But they'll have to use a hammer on some of it because it folds in on itself and the press brake can't get to the sharp inside corners. They're artists for sure!

Here's the model that shows what it's going to look like after I weld it to the other pieces I've have fabricated. That cross beam shows where my bulkhead is located. I have an awning to keep me dry when I'm at the helm on the deck.

I cut the eves back some on the aft end to make more room for the rod when I'm holding a fish near the boat during netting. And I kept the small pockets on the outside of the bulkhead (some of my fishing buddies said they like throwing stuff in them, like bait scents.
Attachments
ACB Windshield Extension REV LL.jpg
ACB Windshield Extension REV LL.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 9352 times
StabicraftMarine
Sponsor

Post by StabicraftMarine »

Like :thumbsup:

I passed this link on to our design team. There are a couple with ties back to the ACB/Stabicraft days.

One, a new guys wondered why North Americans liked forward facing screens, your justification was bang on.

Good idea with the bulkhead storage. One of the guys we sponsor down here has a tight blue foam across the frame of his bimini frame. He sticks small flys and other terminal tackle in it.

*2nd Edit - (Im trying not to whore out your thread) here is a link to the piece with the blue foam.

http://www.stabicraft.com/Product.aspx?id=MWS1720

Tim.
http://www.stabicraft.com

For your nearest dealer...
888 GO STABI (USA)
1800 178 224 (AUS)
0800 478 224 (NZ)

For the Invercargill, NZ factory - 0064 3 2111 828
Polywave

Post by Polywave »

Hi Tim,
I had a Duckworth once that totally lacked any fishing functionality. So I welded up a small frame out of some C-channel and a plate, and glued some cork to it that I found at a local hardware store. It turned out pretty handy for storing hooks and lures. I plan on making another for my ACB, except this time I'm going to lay the cork in strips like the siding on a house. Hopefully that will make it a bit easier to put the hooks on and off. The flat surface on the original board didn't provide a ridge to grab the style of hooks without a twist in them.

Polywave
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Where's the BLUE FOAM in the LINK? Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Poly, AWESOME what you are doing , it will look GREAT and be waaaaaay more functional .
You might have just started a NEW cabin line . :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
StabicraftMarine
Sponsor

Post by StabicraftMarine »

pjay9 wrote:Where's the BLUE FOAM in the LINK? Capt PJ
Our website is a pain in the a.. It uses pixie magic to show one of three different sets of boats depending on where you are. US Aus & NZ. Getting links right is not easy.

The link kind of works you just have to follow these steps... follow it to the 1720 Matt Watson Signature (MWS), click on the 'other documents' tab and open the review doc. Its in there.

Tim.
http://www.stabicraft.com

For your nearest dealer...
888 GO STABI (USA)
1800 178 224 (AUS)
0800 478 224 (NZ)

For the Invercargill, NZ factory - 0064 3 2111 828
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic