New battery box and other mod's to the Sculpin

Get help and share Ideas
Sculpin

Re: New battery box and other mod's to the Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Whipped up the removable fish cleaning table this afternoon.

I will mount some cutting board material on the sloped front portion for filleting etc. drill and tap the board and mount from underneath with counter sunk bolts.

I mounted two bait cooler holders as well. Starting to look "busy" back there but oh well. Anchovies and Herring for both sides of the boat :thumbsup: .

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Dang it I like that too. I just got my Miller Table 40" wide (thanks again Mike)along the back and it handles the kings silvers nice. I will be moding that as well with Mikes help as well but it will be done this winter time.

I will leave it at home this weekend when I head to Westport WA. to fish for Tuna this Sunday. I will bring my 4' X30" Plastic folding diner table to cark the tuna on at the dock. Need to have room for fishing poles.

Uoooo My Head Hurts so many good Ideas and very nice work. I like the sloop you have in it as well. Take your cut off wheel and cut some knife slots that the cutting board will cover to store your knifes blade down and out of the way.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Dang it I like that too. I just got my Miller Table 40" wide (thanks again Mike)along the back and it handles the kings silvers nice. I will be moding that as well with Mikes help as well but it will be done this winter time.

I will leave it at home this weekend when I head to Westport WA. to fish for Tuna this Sunday. I will bring my 4' X30" Plastic folding diner table to cark the tuna on at the dock. Need to have room for fishing poles.

Uoooo My Head Hurts so many good Ideas and very nice work. I like the sloop you have in it as well. Take your cut off wheel and cut some knife slots that the cutting board will cover to store your knifes blade down and out of the way.
This one is only 37" wide the sides are 5" high and the depth of the table (from bow to stern) is 15". This is 4 inches bigger and 3 inches deeper than my previous set up. I don't have the 1/2" round bar trim either. Way better than before.

Plus I put two bait stations in for all the anchovies and herring we need for BOTH sides of the boat. Should work well.

Good luck on the Albies (finger)!!!. You guys have it good down there for sure. There is a big push for folks to try it out this year up here. Lot's of talk for buddy boat trips etc. I would think late August or early September they will be in close enough.

I am just going to clip the knife shealth's onto the sides for now.

Thanks for the post goatram

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

goatram wrote:Dave Denatured alcohol cleans that stuff up when it is still wet. Helps to make a nice smooth seal as well. Now You Know :banghead:

Oh, I hit it right away with acetone and got most up...but like I said made a great excuse to paint the deck and it badly needed it. Just around my leaning post and the area behind it. It took a "thinned" gallon of that Farwest non-skid paint, rolled.

Not optimum to do deck painting when it's 99 in the shade, and 110 in the open sun!
Thank goodness for Xylol and the Jettywolf's boat shed.

Ordered more paint to the other 1/2 of the deck......UPS shipping for flammable items was $45.00 Super OUCH!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well the tank went back in really nice and I think I got a great seal on her now.

I sanded off all the existing (what was left) non skid paint and did one wash with Xylene and a second wash with warm water. I hand dried it with cloths and air. The air works great in the cracks and cranny's that you can't get to with a towel.

All masked up and ready for epoxy primer.

I would have put the primer on tonight but the buggers gave me the wrong catalyst or "part b". Primer goes on tomorrow morning and the non skid goes on tomorrow night hell or high water!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

No Alodine prior to the epoxy? No acid wash/Aluminum Brightener at least prior to the epoxy? after which ya need to water rinse once more.

Still a neat thread on the mod.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:No Alodine prior to the epoxy? No acid wash/Aluminum Brightener at least prior to the epoxy? after which ya need to water rinse once more.

Still a neat thread on the mod.

Think I'm screwing the pooch by skipping this step? Maybe I'll rip the tape off and do something more.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That Farwest paint company paint that is used on the Pacifics gives the exact number of the primer etcher that's supposed to be used with the product. Prior to initial painting. Xylol or Xylene was just to be used as a "thinner" according to the man I spoke too.

Don't know what you're using as far as paint. But can't wait to see the outcome. What's really nice about that boat is you have acual ball room dancing space to whoop them fishes. That's a pet peeve of mine. I like "space".

Things are looking good, up yonder there in Squatch Land.

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

OMG someone stole my windows!!!

My side windows used to leak quite bad and I have always wanted to fix them. The original install wasn't so stellar. I'm having a window guy reinstall new rubber frames and seal them properly this time. (I'll trim that zap strap too).

He will clean up the edges of the openings for proper bond and sealing. Should all be back in this evening. The front and back single non sliding windows are fine.

One more thing off the list.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I put the epoxy primer on last night and let if cure 24 hrs. peeled the tape and gave it a light sand and re-taped.

We put the non-skid on tonight and I think it will be good for my purposes. It is some serious stuff and quite aggressive. We don't go bare foot up here very often in Canuck land and I have never had anyone in bare feet on my boat yet. Rubber boots all the way. I wouldn't want to do a face plant on the deck that is for sure. Put it this way......nobody is going to slip.

I should have bought two 1 gallon kits because we came out short. We did everything except the tank. My buddy figured leave the tank so no tie in marks show anywhere. Good idea me thinks. I will do the tank tomorrow morning.

This is my rear steering station platform that a swivel seat attaches to. You can see the profile of the non skid quite good in this shot.

This is the stuff I used. American Safety. It is the original formula that was used on US aircraft carriers. From my understanding they used a different formula now but same company. I figure a battleship of a boat needs a battle ship deck coat.

Hola
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, NICE job there Dude.

Thanks for letting us watch your progress .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram

Post by goatram »

Tuff Boots for the PNW and AK Required. Barefeet will get you bigfeet quick.

John Thanks for some Ideas. Paint looks good.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I got the tank non skid coated this everning. My fishing buddy changed all the motor oils etc. Motors look great. Gotta love those Honda's. My window guy showed up and put the windows back in with brand new rubber seals etc. Shouldn't leak now (knock on aluminum).

I didn't read the fine print on the product data sheet on that non-skid. It says do not expose to heavy amounts of water for 5-7 days. Guess it needs lot's of time to cure. That kind of ruined my long weekend plans but I phoned up a guide buddy in Tofino and we're good to go on Monday morning for some fish slaying on his boat out on the banks.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

rastus

Post by rastus »

looking good, thanks for putting up all the photos
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Ok here is the low down on the sending unit design on the top of my fuel tank..............it sucks big time. I have done this once before on it because the gauge didn't work when I bought the boat. It worked fine after I did it the first time. I had to scrape it all out when I removed the tank to see what was in the chamber.

Here it is wired back in.

I use this dielectric silicone compound to seal the entire assembly (I don't know what else to do and it worked great the first time).

All gooped up(I put another tube in there and topped it right up to the cap).

Steering platform back in. Just have to hook up the tank hoses and fill the tank (dreading that...ha ha).

Still have to deal with inside the cabin next and get everything tidy and put back together in there.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

John
Step back and smell the Sea. Fish are off the Island. These Mods are for the winter time. Make the necessary repairs and go fish. Soon it will start to rain, The Kings, Coho and Humpies will have run up river and died (End of the story for the year). You will be stuck pulling your stick with nothing to do :hammer:

Key is moderation :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:John
Step back and smell the Sea. Fish are off the Island. These Mods are for the winter time. Make the necessary repairs and go fish. Soon it will start to rain, The Kings, Coho and Humpies will have run up river and died (End of the story for the year). You will be stuck pulling your stick with nothing to do :hammer:

Key is moderation :deadhorse:
Ha ha I know man I know. Our spring was the craps up here and I didn't have her under shelter to work on (building one this fall).

We KILLED em on Monday out of a ping pong boat off of Tofino. Can't post it up because of the boat.

Felt real good getting out there and putting alot of fish in the freezer. Springs, coho, lings, and halibut. Was an awesome day.

I am out this weekend until middle of September. Still lots of fishing to be done.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John , as long as there are FISH in the picture you can post up....We know you are a ALLOY BROTHER and are modifying the SCULPIN

:beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Looks just like the deck paint I used........very hard to work with when it's 110 degrees outside with heat idex!!
I go bare foot every once inawhile, but not often.

And to add to all my other horror stories. I did have a girl faint one time on my boat while sitting on the gunnel and YES she did a FACE SKID accross my painted deck.

Broke her sunglasses, ripped her nose open and scuffed her cheeks,forhead, elbows and arms.

But that was still nothing compared to the guy who caught a Tarpon one time in the 100 degree heat of summer and then died afterwards sitting on my cooler in the bow of my old boat. The problem was he was 6'6" and 350 pounds!

It was just him and I. So, yes I held the head of a dead man on my deck before.

Died happy though :thumbsup:

The rich Alaskans think, I'm some kind of Florida Craka'. Have no "real" boating experience. But to quote Dr. Phil.....none of this is my first rodeo.
goatram

Post by goatram »

You might be a craka; I am am Damn Yankee gone west
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:But that was still nothing compared to the guy who caught a Tarpon one time in the 100 degree heat of summer and then died afterwards sitting on my cooler in the bow of my old boat. The problem was he was 6'6" and 350 pounds!

It was just him and I. So, yes I held the head of a dead man on my deck before.

Died happy though :thumbsup:

[/color][/b]
Hey Zeus that was a horrible experience man :shocked: !
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Just about there folks :clap: . I hope I can finally end this thread.

Going to dump the tub in tomorrow and fish and crab my local waters on the ECVI. If everything works out I will tow her up to the WCVI during the week and start my season next weekend. Going to fill the freezer enough for the family then might actually try some sport fishing with some catch and release of some biggun's (hopefully) in late August and early September. Then we get into the big hooked nosed Northern Coho mid September and possibly a Tuna run if I'm ready for it.

Late start but looking forward to a reliable vessel that will serve me well. I took care of her now I hope she takes care of me :beer: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Went to dump her in on Sunday and the trailer lights were on the fritz.

Got the trailer lights working. Took her out for a spin tonight. Everything electrically works perfectly now. The downriggers work great. The rear sounder is working great. The VHF is working great. The kicker is usually quite stuborn when cold and took a bit to get going but once warmed up worked just great. The non skid is awesome and the LED's are very cool. The halogens sure are bright when it's dark out and are a great addition to her IMO.

The main engine different story. The charging alarm is still coming on (I had this problem last year) but it is charging. Also there is something with the vapor lock alarm going off and some surging when accelerating. I started with an empty tank and just filled it up tonight. There is a brand new Racor filter and all the filters on the engine where checked and changed etc.

Going to tinker with it tomorrow and take her back out after work. Got to get this thing running like a clock by Thursday afternoon for our big trip.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

Did you leave gas in the system or run the main dry? Your injectors still might have some trash/jelly from the left over Fuel. Small tank couple gallons of fuel and seafoam treatment. run the piss out of it to clean it

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use- ... tment.html
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Did you leave gas in the system or run the main dry? Your injectors still might have some trash/jelly from the left over Fuel. Small tank couple gallons of fuel and seafoam treatment. run the piss out of it to clean it

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use- ... tment.html
Thanks goatram. I have some of that stuff. I will try it in a small tank like you suggested. My buddy who was out with me figured it was injectors.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic