New battery box and other mod's to the Sculpin

Get help and share Ideas
Sculpin

Re: New battery box and other mod's to the Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well it turns out one of my thermastat's was shot. I am replacing both of them. One side of the engine is hotter than the other and we pulled them and tested them. Overheating alarm came on tinkering with it today. I have no real way to flush the motors up at my lot during the fishing season . I will have to get crafty and devise a 12 volt pump attached to a water barrel or something. Quite a bit of salt build up in her. Going to pull the lower unit and check the impeller as well. Ran a bunch of Saltaway through it when the overheating alarm came on.

I tried goatrams seafoam with a couple of gallons of gas thing as well while running her today. Going to get raped at the Honda Power house tomorrow.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Sculpin wrote:I tried goatrams seafoam with a couple of gallons of gas thing as well while running her today. Going to get raped at the Honda Power house tomorrow.
besides the over temp did it start to run better?
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

The best idea is to always replace the t-stats when ever you do the water pump. Just so all the "cooling parts" jive.....
I have a set of t-stats and new o-rings and a water pump sitting on the shelf right now, awaiting their annual inspection.

Don't know if any other Honda owners have experienced this, but if you run in to the motor giving you false alarms via over heating.

It's super EZ to pull the temp sensors out, and hit them with a 3M scratchy pad, and get them shiney and clean. Jus' watch to not rip up the red o-ring that goes on the sensors. They can get build up on them, and get sort of insulated by grime and give false alarms. I believe.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well most of the motor stuff was my neglect again. Replaced the t stats and the impeller. Ran some more saltaway through her. The charging alarm was correctly going off and it was the 150 amp fuse (love it when I'm stupid and it's and easy fix).

Going for another test burn tonight. Ran the rest of the seafoam gas mixture through her and she sounds really good. Smoother throttle no with zero hick ups are hesitation. Will see what's she's like on the water tonight. Thanks everyone for all your tips.

Off to the WCVI tomorrow morning for a long weekend.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Glad to help. Look up a Yamaha motors product called Ring Free. Expensive stuff. I seemed to have missed placed my recently acquired second bottle of the stuff.

Sea Foam along with Marine Stabil is what I have been using.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Ran like a top tonight. Back in the game. LET'S GO FISHING!

On the water shot of the cabinet.

A happy and relieved captain.

Thanks for following my thread. It was embarrassing at first, then fun, a bit nerve racking at times, but ulimately rewarding in the end.

I will be posting up fishing reports from now on.

Cheers
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, well done and thank you for letting us watch your progress, it was VERY educational .

Now.............Loose the BLOOD on the deck!

:beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Same here. Enjoyed the ride thru the boat renurishment program.

And of course ALWAYS JELOUS of your "bring home" for the freezer.

Jus did my water pump and t-stat changes today myself, and again painted the deck in 100 degree sweating down my crack temps.

It's brutal as hell here. Wish I was on the west coast of Vancouver Isle myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic