Untraditional Radar Mount

Get help and share Ideas
Fisherman

Untraditional Radar Mount

Post by Fisherman »

I have a 20' Fishrite Performer with a windshield and softtop (similar to a Northriver Seahawk). I use it a little in the Pacific ocean, and would like to add radar to it for collision elimination, only I don't wish to spend $1-2k on a radar arch. Furthermore, putting my boat away after use will be a little challenge...the top of the windshield only has 12" of clearance to the top of the door to my shop.

I am looking for a used radar system (if anyone wants to get rid of one please let me know) that has a 12" radome with it. I'm looking for either Sitex or JRC 1000 right now. These radomes weight about 10 lbs.

So...instead of putting up a radar arch, what would you guys think if I build (or have built) a telescoping system that would allow me to raise or lower the radome. If I can lower the radome down to the top of the windshield, there will be several inches of clearance putting the boat away. I am proposing to mount square tubing on the inside of the cockpit so that it sticks straight up. Then I will slide in a smaller tube on which the top I will mount the radome. A couple holes will be drilled for pins to support the top portion when either up or down.

I will mount the base portion to the side of the dual console and the windshield support located near the walk-through door. My canvas top will need to have a little hole punched in it to allow the top portion of the telescope to slide through it.

I also need it to telescope high enough. I'm thinking I would like it about 7 feet from the floor of the boat, as I have read the microwaves from an active radar may damage our eyes. At that height, about 3 feet will be above the windshield and the antenna will be about 12" above our eyes.

I guess my main concern is... can I make this strong enough? I'm thinking aluminum would be better than stainless steel? If I use aluminum, what alloy and what wall thickness should I use for the base and the top of the telescoping stand?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Untraditional Radar Mount

Post by goatram »

Keep it out of the cockpit so you do not have to cut your canvas. 2" pipe would work mount it like a Davit. The davit mounts can be bought with plastic inserts. You would have to also make a storage mount as well for travel. The newer radars do not use the same energy radar waves as the older ones do = safer for you and your family friends. Schedule 80 in either 6061 or 6063 would be the best but Schedule 40 would do I would think. If you want it bent then the 6063 would be the Alloy of choice.
You would be the odd man out but it should work. :shocked:
Attachments
$81 at LFS Marine and Outdoor in Bellingham WA. http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/shrimp-and-crab-gear/haulers-pullers-and-power-packs.html
$81 at LFS Marine and Outdoor in Bellingham WA. http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/shrimp-and-crab-gear/haulers-pullers-and-power-packs.html
davit mount.jpg (2.67 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
elsmanwaterman

Post by elsmanwaterman »

Hey Fisherman,

I just got done fabricating a mount similar to what you describe. Only difference is that I have a T-top which raises it up already leaving me a short mount to work with.

I have a rigid outer rail around my T-top which I was able to utilize for mounting. I just made a platform mounted on 1.5" Al tubing which gets pinned inside 2" tubing. The 2" mounts to the T-top frame using some ss u bolts. I was able to cut up the parts myself because I'm a member of TechShop but took the parts to a welder to have welded for an additional $50 or so.
Since I mounted on the side of my T-top rail, I am able to pull it up and out, turn it upside-down and mount it upside down for travel.

Travelling with it upside down actually bothers me a bit. I'm pretty sure that they are designed well enough to take some movement all directions but it would be better if they were right side up. I intend to build a lower mount asap to prevent problems in the future because I don't like that it raised my overall boat height up even by 18" or so.

I looked on my phone and don't see any pix but if you still haven't completed the project, I'd take a couple of pix and send them your way. In fact, I'll try to post them up anyway for anyone else doing a project like this.
elsmanwaterman

Post by elsmanwaterman »

Here is what I did.

Last edited by elsmanwaterman on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Hey, thanks a lot! I actually was just working on it a few minutes ago. I am going to mount 2x2" square aluminum on the front of my windshield. It will lean backwards, but should be strong enough I think. I'll be able to pull it off by removing a couple of pins. I decided against the telescoping idea and the idea with it mounting on the inside.

As to driving with the radome upside down, I believe I've read that it's probably okay, but not good if you get into rain or moisture as there is a small outlet for water and condensation on the bottom of the radome.
elsmanwaterman

Post by elsmanwaterman »

Here is a better view of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic