New aluminum self bailing deck

Get help and share Ideas
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Re: New aluminum self bailing deck

Post by Sabs28 »

Jetty, you are a funny one, :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: .

Mods are looking good John. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You mentioned "PAINT".

Why not try out what many other's do as far as the deck is concerned.

Pattern cut, 3M non-skid tape. If done right, "key words". I'm starting to come around that it looks pretty cool. Never liked it in the begining. But, it's kinda grew on me. Especially when very nice patterns are made.

watcha think :?:

Jus' saw some on someones boat posted here or a link somewhere. Again, the SAFEBOATS, "We, citizens" buy the Coasties, Sherrif dept's, etc. have it.......so that means it is good, right? :sarge:

Problemo, versus paint is doing very nice patterns on the deck, versus a bunch of obvious strips of 3 or 5" tape.
Where as you can get the painters tape with the wire in it, and do some slick patterns with it and then jus paint in that pattern.

And "I" don't know where ya get "sheets" of the 3M non-skid. All I see is the rolls. They did some nice pieces on the un-painted Rocksalt, I believe.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Dave's Words "And "I" don't know where ya get "sheets" of the 3M non-skid. All I see is the rolls. They did some nice pieces on the un-painted Rocksalt, I believe."

Same stuff Dave We have gotten it up to 30" wide rolls for Cargo Aircraft at my old place of employment. Industrial supply or Marine Hardware stores.

Bob aka Chaps came up with a Idea that I like. Sand/Soda blast the deck and let it age natural. The blasting leaves a bite in the deck and it will not blister and corrode like a painted surface does

As she does not benefit from my truck I got her a 2011 Ford Fusion. She Likes it and I spent a third on her care compared to my truck. Plus when we go somewhere together we take the Fat Girl as the means for the transportation
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

10-4

I don't hang in those circles.......remember, "I fish there for I am". I guess I could find it at one of the Squid supply places??

I see your and Chaps' point, but then it lacks "looking cool" and boy I'd really "slip" test it big time, first. I'm of course always safety minded because, I get 400 pounders, 5 year olds, and 90 year old frail grandpa's, on my deck.

We know for a fact paint can be made """highly""" slip resisitant, and that 3M non-skid tape is, Million Dollar Boat, Tax Payer Bought, Coastie, approved!

(the stuff on my boat doesn't crack or chip, thats fer sure!)
http://www.farwest.com
goatram

Post by goatram »

One of my Bloodydecks Brutha's has offered 2 cans of the same stuff that you used Dave on your boat Lt Grey #222. excess to him and I would need to add the primer into the price. I have the Alodine and Aluminum brightner and rollers. I even should have 2lbs of Walnut shell pieces somewhere in my shop.

I am documenting my boat here and on BD. You guys get the pictures with explanations they do not. Your Luckee :clap:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
goatram

Post by goatram »

Floor and Hatches are made. Cabin floor is installed awaiting paint next weekend. Need to attach hinges and handles to hatches in the morning. Weld in the fish box drain tube. If I am lucky I will hang the motors back on in the afternoon.
Attachments
Looking aft at.
Looking aft at.
2011-12-03 self Bailing deck 001.JPG (152.75 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
Cabin floor
Cabin floor
2011-12-03 self Bailing deck 002.JPG (133.09 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
Looking at the fish deck
Looking at the fish deck
2011-12-03 self Bailing deck 003.JPG (131.13 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Looking great John. :thumbsup: Keep the progress pictures coming.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Wow that's looking great goatram!!! I didn't realize you were re-doing the inside of the cabin as well. No more vinyl covered wood yeah :clap: !

I'm ripping out those floor boards I put in a few years ago and putting in 1/4" aluminum checker plate inside the Sculpin's cabin this winter.

Can't wait to see the next installment. Thanks for taking us along.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram

Post by goatram »

Did not get the Engines Hung as I planned. I drill and mount a 1.5" Drain Pipe from the fish box to the stern. I had to bend a joggle to clear some structure in the swim step. It is all hidden till you drill a hole then take a look inside. Minor setback that took a couple of hours to think of a plan to work around it. My access is through two small 6" square holes either side of the main engine mount. I still need to find some 2" Fittings to go into a 2 Plastic Ball Valve. The outside diameters match pretty good for a 2" plastic hose to complete the assembly. I found Brass and SS ones but cost was the deciding factor. Ouch. I like the valve idea better than a Stopper plug As Northriver use on their 26' Offshore boats. Bruce at Coldwater Boats agrees with that as well. Went to Coldwater's shop on Saturday morning to pick up a couple of things.

Rumor; a 29' pleasure boat soon on a jig. Said Jig would work to build a 27' or 28' as well. Custom is the name of the game

I went to the Store to get hardware and while there picked a replacement pump and float switch. The pump is the bigger 1500 gph to replace a 1100gph. Brand = Rule. The Seasense switch waring was green with corrosion. Reason why it did not work in October 40 miles off shore? I think so. :hammer: Issue found at 12:15 am is the float switch just touches the new tube in the swim step. I need to remove the pump and switch. Reclock the switch and then reinstall.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

OH.........Jettywolf........ LIKES!!!!!!

Good gawd I don't know how ya'll can deal with plastic covered wood decks. Jus' sounds heavy and cumbersome to deal with to me. Maybe I be talking out me arse, because I just have to imagine it. Cuz I never owned a boat with wood decks.

Seen friends add plastic covered wood decks to Small light weight aluminum boats and never liked that either.

Did ya jump up and down all over it John? Hold good? No squeeks and creaks? :skipper:

I like the idea of using that tempress hatch up yonder in the Climate controlled cabin
(I'm sure there's alot of HOT air up in there :sarge: when your driving....... :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Good place for that.

Yes, I still can see some swanky precision cut 3M black non-skid tread patterns laid up on that shiney new deck. :idea:

But

Ya said paint, so ya going with battle ship gray like us Pacific'ers ?????? (and Sculpin)

Isn't that Farwest Paint Company in yer home state? That's some gooood stuff, for sure.
goatram

Post by goatram »

I picked up two free gallons Farwest 222 lt grey.

No squeaks. Rubber Strips under the Aluminum. Need to make a set of drawers for the aft port side corner for storage soon after all of the other work is complete. That corner of the boat I reinstalled a piece of the original Floor to make it easier to install the cabinet.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I guess you got alot of "scuffing up" to do then huh?

No primer needed? When using the farwest on bare alloy?

Yepper that's what all of us Pacificer's have Number 222, Navy Gray. Would rather have like USAF blue, but what the hell.
None of that squid smell has rubbed off on me yet.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

When yer all done, ya may have to take the boat, tip her over and shake her out.
Looks like she's acumulated alot of junk. :nutkick:
goatram

Post by goatram »

Dave I have been vacuuming it out quite often. I have some self etching Zink Cromate Primer. Enough to cover both decks. I have a DA Sander and the round sticky SP Disks 36 Grit ready for the morning to get it done. Navy Boys don't bother me none. I work with the squids all the time. Everett and Whidbey Island are Navy Towns. We have a bunch of retired ones hanging off the same Tit I am on. :sarge: :rotfl:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
goatram

Post by goatram »

Deck Paint applied
Hinges installed on the hatches prior to paint and taped off.
Bilge pumps in and working.
Kicker placed on transom.
Kill box drain valve Shut off installed.

Need my son to return home to bring the Gasket material for the swim step hatches so I can install them. Chasing tail he his. Not fish, She smells a little sweeter.

Weather permitting will take pictures and hang the main engine tomorrow.
Got a buzz from the fumes from the paint. Not helping much that I got the heat cranked up to help cure the paint off :hammer:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
no excuses

Post by no excuses »

wow looks great John, i would like to add self bailing deck to mine someday. I added a set of scuppers to my last boat (5.4m RIB). They were 3" pipe and I used hypolon for the material and used 5200 to glue the pvc into the hull of the boat. It would drain a lot of water out of the boat fast lol.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

WAITING ON NEXT SET OF PHOTOGS :clap:
goatram

Post by goatram »

an update of my project. I hope you like it. Now comes the fun of putting everything back on the boat. I am making a Plywood storage compartment to go in the left aft corner of the cabin will have three drawers. if it works and looks good I will make one more for the right side as well. 1/2' plywood 3' tall X 16" wide X 23" deep or so :rotfl:

John aka sculpin kicked my butt on his fort project
Attachments
Cabin View minus the front floor hatch and seats
Cabin View minus the front floor hatch and seats
Self Baily Deck2 001.jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
Starboard aft corner of the cabin
Starboard aft corner of the cabin
Self Baily Deck2 002.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
looking at the aft deck from the cabin
looking at the aft deck from the cabin
Self Baily Deck2 003.jpg (129.16 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
looking at the aft deck from the cabin. I do not have the matching paint so I improvised the paint for the Battery compartment door. Still need to add the weather stripping
looking at the aft deck from the cabin. I do not have the matching paint so I improvised the paint for the Battery compartment door. Still need to add the weather stripping
Self Baily Deck2 004.jpg (140.34 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
Starboard aft side box for storage. Hinged
Starboard aft side box for storage. Hinged
Self Baily Deck2 005.jpg (74.31 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
Port Side box shows the hinges and the little post to open it with
Port Side box shows the hinges and the little post to open it with
Self Baily Deck2 006.jpg (111.99 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
Center fish box cut in the aft lift handle from the original wooden hatch. Hatch lifts from aft towards the front. I still need to add a cable to hold it open and not allow it to fall forward. If I do it right I would have to just kick the cable and let it fall closed.
Center fish box cut in the aft lift handle from the original wooden hatch. Hatch lifts from aft towards the front. I still need to add a cable to hold it open and not allow it to fall forward. If I do it right I would have to just kick the cable and let it fall closed.
Self Baily Deck2 007.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
motors are hung with care. Broke the Negative battery post stand off post on the motor
motors are hung with care. Broke the Negative battery post stand off post on the motor
Self Baily Deck2 008.jpg (159.17 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
The small scupper style that Glen Wooldridge uses on his boats as does Dale aka ratherbefishin
The small scupper style that Glen Wooldridge uses on his boats as does Dale aka ratherbefishin
Self Baily Deck2 009.jpg (131.73 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
close up view
close up view
Self Baily Deck2 010.jpg (125.76 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:John aka sculpin kicked my butt on his fort project
What are you talking about goatram. Your floor has way more alloy in it than my little fort for the boat that has a fort. This stuff is awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product. I like the rubbers on the scupper's dude. That's how I roll too. You are the master of surface prep. I can't wait to see the end result. Keep em coming man. You have done things to a NR that most mortal's wouldn't think of. Tin Lizzy is a fish killing machine and you keep improving her and that is all that matters right now.

Cheers,
Sculpin
Last edited by Sculpin on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'll second that....

From what I've seen, this is one boat that has far exceeded the original builders vision.

Goatram, I'd get rid of all remains of the name N. River, if badged with such. And call it 95% your own.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

What's happing John? Where are you at with this excellent project?

Come one man we are waiting calmly................not!!!

Whats up dude?

Can't wait to see the end result and a water test.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

Had to work this evening Saturday to catch a plane and put her to bed.
So with that said. The Seats are in finally, weather striping is almost complete. Motors are hung and looks like I will have to continue to disconnect my kicker from the main when I tilt it up. sill has interference issues with the tie bar. Need to rince the swim step out and she is done. My free board is about 24" from the deck to the top of the hard sides. I do have a short 4" railing around the boat.

So tomorrow it will be showers in the forecast for Washington State and for my swim step along with pictures of the completed project :beer: Next weekend I want to go fishing. :titanic:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

No, Mo', Pics :?:

or jus' fish pics to follow from now on :?:
goatram

Post by goatram »

A Day Late and a few dollars less in my pocket. Sunday went out to the shop thinking I will get the boat done and out of the shop. WRONG!

I found when I hung the main motor I mounted it in the wrong hole. I was hitting My steering ram to the mount structure. I pulled the boat out today and moved the motor up a hole. She looks good as well as ops checks good. Boat reinstalled back in the shop.

I spent another 2 hours playing with the kicker tie bar trying different positions so I would not have to disconnect each time when I want to run and gun to a new place to fish. Still working it out. I did drill through the new kicker mount and install bolts to secure the kicker to the transom. the picture shows the bar connected to a third ball mounted to the bracket keeping the kicker straight when it is not in use and it is tilted forward for running.

Cleaned up the swim step access panels. In the past i sealed them down with 5200 sealant. Each time I accessed them I would have to heat them to remove. I am hoping that the rubber cork gasket material will seal and allow me quicker access.

A couple more things do do to the boat and she might be done or maybe not. Thinking of raising the sides up in the back like the Wooldridge Boats. This would give me more freeboard, 10" topped by a 1.25" pipe for edge protection. Thinking :banghead: :banghead: :hammer: :banghead:
Engines mounted, working on the tie-bar between motors.
Engines mounted, working on the tie-bar between motors.
Self Baily Deck2 001.jpg (131.47 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Seats in and hooked up. I still need the last seat installed recovered with new seat foam
Seats in and hooked up. I still need the last seat installed recovered with new seat foam
Self Baily Deck2 002.jpg (127.49 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
This picture shows the 1.5" sch 40 pipe installed in the swim step. It goes to the fish box to flood and drain the box.
This picture shows the 1.5" sch 40 pipe installed in the swim step. It goes to the fish box to flood and drain the box.
Self Baily Deck2 003.jpg (120.61 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
New 1500 GPH bilge pump for my swim step. Total Pump capacity now is 4400 gph. Hopefully never to be running at the same time. All hooked to a fuse panel straight to the Battery.
New 1500 GPH bilge pump for my swim step. Total Pump capacity now is 4400 gph. Hopefully never to be running at the same time. All hooked to a fuse panel straight to the Battery.
Self Baily Deck2 006.jpg (125.37 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Cork Gaskets installed on the center panel of the swim step. I have three access panels the 2 ob ones access the trim tabs and bilge pump.
Cork Gaskets installed on the center panel of the swim step. I have three access panels the 2 ob ones access the trim tabs and bilge pump.
Self Baily Deck2 007.jpg (98.36 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Fish Box Drain Ball Valve and bilge pump. Located below the old Battery Box
Fish Box Drain Ball Valve and bilge pump. Located below the old Battery Box
Self Baily Deck2 011.jpg (135.45 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Another view showing the joggle I added to the pump and float switch mount plate Corners were bent down to keep the Aluminum off of the bottom plate. Tube to the left is a 1/2" drain for the fish box.
Another view showing the joggle I added to the pump and float switch mount plate Corners were bent down to keep the Aluminum off of the bottom plate. Tube to the left is a 1/2" drain for the fish box.
Self Baily Deck2 012.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote: My free board is about 24" from the deck to the top of the hard sides. I do have a short 4" railing around the boat.
Nothing wrong with that John. I wouldn't want it any less however. With railings you should be fine. That's where I'm at except taller railings.

I just went out and took these for you buddy!

Raising up the sides would be cool too though. I like the low freeboard with high railing set up because you can see what is going on next to the boat better without having to lean over so far. JMO.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I hope you get that pesky steering rod worked out. I read the thread on the black and red site and there are some good tips about the hose and hose clamps. That cork gasket should work good. I hope you let us know. Cool upgrade and I'm sure you will love it. Can't wait to see the finished product and the on the water shots.

Most of all I hope you get out winter fishing soon!!! :beer:

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic