Busy and expensive week Dude
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Re: Start of an electronics upgrade to the Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

The test run on Saturday was cool but I need a lot more time to get used to everything and tune everything to my liking and best performance etc. I am very pleased with the whole system. I don't have very much radar experience at all so I can't give comparisions between different technologies etc. So far I really like the up close performance of the broadband radar. I have to play around with it some more to gain an opinion for the longer ranges.

We went out crabbing yesterday. She looks pretty good me thinks with her new dome on top.

Here is a screen shot of us just playing around with the structure scan while crabbing.

Here is a screen shot of the radar when we were leaving the crabbing grounds. Notice the definition of the log booms in the lower right hand corner.

Continued...
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Here is a log we were heading heading for.

Screen shot of the radar zoomed in to 400 ft.

Here we are approaching one of our prawn floats.

Screen shot of the radar zoomed in to 300 ft.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I am new to this radar thing and it will take me a while to get used to it. I intend on taking some courses as well to get proficient with it.

The structure scan can be pretty wild if the water conditions are good. We had the slit screen on with the regular sounder next to the structure scan and there was lots of herring around. The regular sounder screen showed a nice red ball as usual then we turned the structure scan on to the left/right view and we could see that the majority of the ball was to the port side. I am hoping this works well out on the banks WCVI to see bait balls to either side of the boat up to 300 feet away. On Saturday we went by the sunken tug in Departure Bay and recorded our passes and you can actually see it like a photo on the bottom. Pretty cool.

I can't say enough about the Sonic Hub stereo system. It does literally rock!. All your tunes at your finger tips.

Oh yeah and crabbing was GOOD!!!

I don't want to talk about the prawning :banghead: lol.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Here is the fuel system as of now with a 90 degree elbow barb coming out of the Racor with a big looping hose to allow enough room for the Lowrance fuel sensor to be mounted in the vertical up position. I have a tee above it that allows the main to carry on through in a straight line and the kicker supply to come off with a valve that is easy to reach and operate.

I still have to tap into this branch of "T's" with the data cable then it's just fill up the tank and tell the system how much is in there and go from there.

Here is shot of the USB stick I had to use to upgrade the Sonic Hub system and my ipod gen2 touch inserted into the recepticle. I think it is silly that you can't use a card to do it from one of the head unit's.

Here is a bad video showing the Lowrance Sonic Hub Stereo System. I had to hold the camera steady in video mode and try to operate the controls (I look feeble and it wasn't the Lucky's ha ha). It gives the general idea on how the i product inserted into the recepticle is accessed from any screen in the boat (I did most of it from the 10" unit out back due to the extra buttons).

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

John, one of your units is a Gen2 how much difference is there between them?
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

3f8 wrote:John, one of your units is a Gen2 how much difference is there between them?

The Gen2's are way faster. Refresh, zoom in, zoom out, etc. is almost instant. The have a structure map feature as well that will overlay your structure scan imagery onto your chart. I would highly recommend the Gen2's. Goatram is going to love his new HDS10 Gen2!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Great pics! Thx for posting. You did a good job of taking the images, sometime a screen can be hard to show. Still want to see side view of your vessel! PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

On order and be here Thursday. Today I ordered up the Navionics MSD912+ Platinum. The west coast of the US. No Fish N Chip Info for Canadian Waters.Something about the Canadians would not Allow Navionics to include it. But I can by the 913+ Chip of Vancouver Island and get it. But it is missing the American Water info. Go figure. But I do have another older Fish N Chip to cover that. Just got to find it. John the image of the buoy and logs with the 3G is great. Christmas in February :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
goatram

Post by goatram »

John.
DO you have a picture of how you mounted the Sonar on the transom. I just checked and you missed it. How did you, and do you like the location now that you have drilled the holes for the SS Sonar
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
goatram

Post by goatram »

3f8 wrote:Things are looking good John. I'm also plotting some of the same upgrades. On the shelf is an HDS 10 with structure scan and a G3 radar. I will be pulling out some time in Feb. So keep posting I'm stealing ideas as fast as I can.
$450 in rebates if bought During certain times . Two shows left To get it. Just need the Form. $300 for the HDS and the LSS priced as separately or only $100 if bought as a bundle. The 3G is $150 for the rebate
1st Pacific NW Sportmen's Show Final Purchase Tomorrow the 12 of Feb mailed to them by the 6 March.
2nd one is the Boston Boat Show. 11-19 mailed to them by the 13th March

I have one extra form and I am heading down tomorrow morning. Could pick up more if there is a need Total price from BOE was $3657.41 shipped to the door then minus the $450 from Lowrance.
Just info for the ones needing it
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

I've been trying track these new generation packages ever since WWW put up his super video of his setup. Less the rebate, that is the best price I've seen for the HDS10. Semperfi's is very competitive on price.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:John.
DO you have a picture of how you mounted the Sonar on the transom. I just checked and you missed it. How did you, and do you like the location now that you have drilled the holes for the SS Sonar
Sorry John I just got back from prawing and crabbing :mrgreen: . I'm on it dude. I'll post up a picture soon.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I had two paddle wheel sensors mounted on this bracket before. I got rid of one of them an mounted the Structure Scan transducer in it's place. It seems to work great at trolling speeds and it even works up to around 20 mph before cutting out. Further testing will determine a consistent speed for the cut out.

This is what we were doing today and tomorrow morning :thumbsup:

Here is a shot of the transducer mounted for now (I may change it if problems arise). It seems to be OK for now.

Oh yeah and Chaps was right about the bottom paint. It has been blasted before and a barrier coat put on. I am about to block her up and hang her by the bow from the rafters to sand off the hidious blue paint and put on a better system mostly for cosmetic purposes. I can then pull the trailer and do a major overhaul on it at the same time. Sorry Chaps the budget is way over blown and I have to deal with this one myself.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

On the above pic starboard side, what is all the stuff that looks like whipped cream? PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

pjay9 wrote:On the above pic starboard side, what is all the stuff that looks like whipped cream? PJ

That sir is another excellent example of Edwing quality :mrgreen: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic