Start of an electronics upgrade to the Sculpin

Get help and share Ideas
Sculpin

Start of an electronics upgrade to the Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well I decided to change out some of the dated electronic's on the Sculpin. I relpaced the rear main fishing screen with a new Lowrance HDS10.

We mounted the new Lowrance 3G radar (that I got on sale for a good deal but still wish I waited for the 4G).

I will post up some more photo's and hopefully video once some of the other stuff is installed.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
welder
Site Admin

Re: Start of an electronics upgrade to the Sculpin

Post by welder »

I'll give you $4.00 for the Radar , even though it's only 3G , that way you can get the 4G.
Heck , I'll go as high as $6.50 for it.

You want Cash or is a check OK ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Looks good. Keep the money flowing south John, we all like it. The Fort for the boat looks like it will keep you dry and algae green free. :highfive:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

What transducer are you using with that HDS10?
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

S L Dave wrote:What transducer are you using with that HDS10?
I just have the standard transom mount Lowrance right now. I have been toying with an Airmar or something different. Any suggestions?

I have seen some shots of folks that have mounted better transducers like thru-hull type but in a bracket off of the transom. I wonder if I could make something like that work.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm quite surprised to now see several of ya'll (in the great white north) mounting these screens out in the "snow, cold, and wet" with no adequate protection. Just in case....

I'd think at least something like this would be used:

Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Sculpin wrote:
S L Dave wrote:What transducer are you using with that HDS10?
I just have the standard transom mount Lowrance right now. I have been toying with an Airmar or something different. Any suggestions?

I have seen some shots of folks that have mounted better transducers like thru-hull type but in a bracket off of the transom. I wonder if I could make something like that work.
I would definately suggest upgrading to an Airmar transducer. Evan a transom mounted P66 will be a great upgrade over the OEM transducer for little extra cost. I switched to Airmar when I had my Lowrance and it made a big difference. I'm now running Furuno with Airmar and it's even better yet.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

C'mon Jetty, the canuks are almost as rich as the alaskins above 'em. When them things go on the fritz from being out in the salt spray and rain they just throw 'em away and git a new one . . . prob'ly already got a spare up in the fort somewheres

:popcorn: . . . :popcorn:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

yeah Chaps,

Probably right. Their "dollar" is still worth something. And with all those countries wanting "in" on all that oil sands the place is most likey on the rise rather than the demise.

I'm still trying to figure the big bucks boat and all spent by the other canuck with that high dollar gadgetry on his boat, and they can actually fish....."how many months outa the year??"
I'm 100% full-time and can do 12 months and probably 300 days here, and need a deposit to go get some fuel first.

Things that make ya say Hmmmmm. :idea:
Jay D

Post by Jay D »

thats the price you pay for living in the warm south :mrgreen:
hewescraft 220 ocean pro ht,et
225,9.9 hondas
garmin 7212
garmin gxm 51
garmin ghp 10
garmin tr-1
simrad nse 12
simrad bsm 2
simrad 4g radar
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:C'mon Jetty, the canuks are almost as rich as the alaskins above 'em. When them things go on the fritz from being out in the salt spray and rain they just throw 'em away and git a new one . . . prob'ly already got a spare up in the fort somewheres

:popcorn: . . . :popcorn:
Yeah right. If I were younger I would pack up from the rock (Vancouver Island) and head up to the patch in Alberta or some mining in Northern British Columbia and make some big bucks. At my age with my little business, making enough to get by, with a boat launch 5 minutes from my house, and world class fishing only 2.5 hours from my house..............I'll take the making enough to get by thank you. I hate the cold too. :thumbsup:

My older unit was a Lowrance LCX 111c and I had it for 3.5 years of being subjected to salt spray etc.from me( not just what the original owner put it through). I would dry it off after each outing and put it away in a dry place with ventilation. It still worked fine when I traded it in. The fin's on the back were flaking a little but other than that it was fine. They are built tough.

I don't know about those housing's Dave. I have seen them before but you sure don't see them very often up here on sportfishing boats. You do see them on sailboats however (those sailors are a different breed all together).

Hey Chap's I thought you sold the Edwing? might want to change your signature line :popcorn: .

Did you ever get your dual citizenship? We are building a brand new shop for Alberni Marine up here on the rock. I guess there are enough folks still buying toy's and maintaining them up here that they can afford to build a brand new facility. I think they know something we don't. I don't get it in this market...........oh well I will take the work if it's there. Nice shop with a few bay's, nice high ceiling height, and fairly deep. Lot's of iron and "q" decking. Nice little job for us that will take us into the new year.
Last edited by Sculpin on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Fisherman wrote:I would definately suggest upgrading to an Airmar transducer. Evan a transom mounted P66 will be a great upgrade over the OEM transducer for little extra cost. I switched to Airmar when I had my Lowrance and it made a big difference. I'm now running Furuno with Airmar and it's even better yet.
I want to do something about the bottom paint on her and will look at tidying up the transom and installing a new transducer then. Hopefully early this spring. I have to do a major overhaul on the trailer so I will jack up the boat and pull the trailer out to work on it and do the bottom of the boat at the same time.

Thanks for the input on the Airmar's.

Cheers,
John :beer:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Sculpin wrote:
Hey Chap's I thought you sold the Edwing? might want to change your signature line :popcorn: .
Yup, gone but not forgotten, did a lot of neat things with that boat. I'll get around to my sig edit, got to dig into the menus to see how to do that
Sculpin wrote:Did you ever get your dual citizenship?
Yup, for awhile there I couldn't prove citizenship in either country now I've got papers for both.

BTW, I did a similar mfd upgrade path as you, went from an lcx113 to the hds10. I like the hds WAY better :thumbsup: though I'm still using the small transducer that came with it as it works pretty good IMO. Would be interested in hearing your experience of using the stock unit then upgrading to a big buck Airmar.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:
Sculpin wrote:
Yup, gone but not forgotten, did a lot of neat things with that boat. I'll get around to my sig edit, got to dig into the menus to see how to do that

I was just joshing around with you is all. Keep it man as we all know that boat so well
Sculpin wrote:Did you ever get your dual citizenship?
Yup, for awhile there I couldn't prove citizenship in either country now I've got papers for both.

BTW, I did a similar mfd upgrade path as you, went from an lcx113 to the hds10. I like the hds WAY better :thumbsup: though I'm still using the small transducer that came with it as it works pretty good IMO. Would be interested in hearing your experience of using the stock unit then upgrading to a big buck Airmar.

It won't be for a while yet. I really want to do the bottom of her. What would it cost for you to come up here to do it for me fellow Canuck? I will supply all the equipment. Let's say mid spring so we can go fishing or prawning? I really liked your bottom painting thread.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

JETTYWOLF wrote: I'm 100% full-time and can do 12 months and probably 300 days here, and need a deposit to go get some fuel first.

Yea, and you burn about 3-5 gallons per charter?
Things that make ya say Hmmmmm. :popcorn:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

spoiled one wrote:
JETTYWOLF wrote: I'm 100% full-time and can do 12 months and probably 300 days here, and need a deposit to go get some fuel first.

Yea, and you burn about 3-5 gallons per charter?
Things that make ya say Hmmmmm. :popcorn:

RIGHT NOW :?: :?: :?:

Maybe a gallon...

But I have to make it look good too, and as we say here in wack'o N.E. Florida, "ya have to remain rigidily flexible at all times."

So I like to keep the tank at half full if I can.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Hmmmmmmmmmm De HMMMMMMMMMM
Inquiring minds want to know.

John I got a Supposedly better P66 transducer off of the THT. My Lowrance LCX 113 does not read the Temperature. (need a external sensor now) Plus on the menu it does not show a P66 as a option.I use P79 instead; it works. Next year I will upgrade to the HDS 10 newest edition. Hopefully I will not have to upgrade all of the other stuff as well
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Sculpin wrote:

It won't be for a while yet. I really want to do the bottom of her. What would it cost for you to come up here to do it for me fellow Canuck? I will supply all the equipment. Let's say mid spring so we can go fishing or prawning? I really liked your bottom painting thread.

I'd love that but have you got some way for me to lift it off the trailer to sandblast and paint it?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

UTT OHH.........I see a big boat lift with tall steel piles run in the ground and strap lifts coming!

Chaps, the man and his buddies threw up a all steel boat shed in a weekend. I don't think lifting the boat would be a problem.

He may come up with a steel cantelever system, to roll the boat over on it's side or something, ya never know :idea:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well I finally got to test out why I had the fort for the boat built! Man has it been raining here for the last two days. I headed out this evening to work on a few things. I installed the HDS7 and played around a little with figuring out where to put the Sonic Hub system.

Some of the goodies going in.

Here is the main helm now with the HDS7 installed next to my GlobalMap 7200 (which is staying for now). I will use the HDS7 for radar and depthsounder. The GlobalMap will stay as a stand alone GPS.

My existing Kenwood stereo. I am going to take it out and try to adapt the Sonic Hub recepticle into the existing housing.

Here is a quick vid I took with the camera (click the thumbnail). Too dark in the cabin but I really wanted to show why I love the boat shed so much. Listen to the RAIN near the end of the clip. My baby is nice and dry and I can work on her. I love it!

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well I got a good deal on an Airmar P319 transducer like the one Chaps installed on his Edwing. I am wondering if I have to go through the install procedure he did or can I mount it in my pod on the flat?

Here are some shots of my current set up. I don't like the way these OEM Lowrance units are mounted. I get pretty good performance out of them but on the other hand I have nothing to compare it to.

Here is a shot of the underside of the pod. I am looking for some help on the mounting location of this unit.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:I'd love that but have you got some way for me to lift it off the trailer to sandblast and paint it?
Many way's. I can hang her just like you did that Silver streak. If not from the rafters of the shed (which my old man who is a retired Engineer say's I could) then we can build something that will work. I need to work on the trailer big time so I want to combine the two. I know I don't moor the boat but the existing paint looks the sh*ts and I might moor it sometime in the future at Toquart Bay.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Sculpin wrote:
Chaps wrote:I'd love that but have you got some way for me to lift it off the trailer to sandblast and paint it?
Many way's. I can hang her just like you did that Silver streak. If not from the rafters of the shed (which my old man who is a retired Engineer say's I could) then we can build something that will work. I need to work on the trailer big time so I want to combine the two. I know I don't moor the boat but the existing paint looks the sh*ts and I might moor it sometime in the future at Toquart Bay.
Looking at the pics above, I can't tell but is there a gray barrier coat or primer under your paint or are those bare spots the exposed hull plating?
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:Looking at the pics above, I can't tell but is there a gray barrier coat or primer under your paint or are those bare spots the exposed hull plating?
They are bare spots where the existing bottom coat wore off. I'm pretty sure it's an Interlux product of somekind. Some of the area's look chaulky where it has come off. I don't think it was blasted or prepped properly by the previous owner before the bottom coat went on.

Did you look at putting that Airmar P319 on the pod or the planing pad on your Edwing before putting it higher up on the hull?
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Sculpin wrote:
Chaps wrote:Looking at the pics above, I can't tell but is there a gray barrier coat or primer under your paint or are those bare spots the exposed hull plating?
They are bare spots where the existing bottom coat wore off. I'm pretty sure it's an Interlux product of somekind. Some of the area's look chaulky where it has come off. I don't think it was blasted or prepped properly by the previous owner before the bottom coat went on.

Did you look at putting that Airmar P319 on the pod or the planing pad on your Edwing before putting it higher up on the hull?
Those bare areas in the pics are very smooth so I assumed it was a primer. If that is the bare hull plating then yes, it wasn't prepped at all. Needs to be abrasive blasted.

The 319 is on my LaConner, not the Edwing. I originally had it hooked up to my LCX113 and was not impressed with the performance so I installed the transom mount Lowrance 'ducer that came with the 113 and saw a big improvement. My HDS10 is now hooked to that Lowrance 'ducer and the 319 isn't hooked to anything but I plan to use it on a small ff that I'm going to mount on my aft binnacle. If I was going to mount a 319 on an edwing with the motor pod that is where I would put it though I would smooth down the weld bead where the pod attaches to the hull in order to reduce turbulence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic