dive ladder standoff/brace

Get help and share Ideas
no excuses

dive ladder standoff/brace

Post by no excuses »

I use my boat for diving at times and the stock 2 step ladder is to short. So a 4 step ladder was built. Started to get some deformation on the tube/physical stop from the extra leverage that the longer ladder was creating. I wanted something that I could remove because I only use the longer ladder when diving, I also move the ladder to a different location when I just use the twp step.

Pics of the deformation

Used 6061 2"x2"x.25" and sleeved it with 1.5"x1.5"x.1875"

other half of sleeve
no excuses

Re: dive ladder standoff/brace

Post by no excuses »

mount that will bolt up to boat transom.

with my little miller 175 pre heating is my friend
view of standoff
no excuses

Post by no excuses »

mounted in place for mock up, will seal it up with 5200 to keep salt water corrosion from getting in between the two.

another view

]
no excuses

Post by no excuses »

I am going to add a 3"x3" plate on the end of the tube where it hits the tube on the dive ladder. spread the load pressure and keep the marking down.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Okay........I guess I'll comment. Since no one has.

I'm confuzzed :smitty:

Is part of that "stand off" part of the ladder or part of the new part now bolted thru the transom? I see a bolt in the stand off so...I'm assuming. But not sure of what I'm seeing. A mock up part? Maybe you're not done yet, huh?

Wish I could weld like that. Probably could if I had the right equipment, hell I have so much time on my hands I know I could learn no problem.

I have a $60K boat general rule, and maybe it's just me. NO holes any where in the ouside of the boat that weren't put there by the factory. Pretty much went that direction too, with my ole glass boat I used to have, which I paid half of that for brand new.

It's probably, "Jus me". :rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW......what's a machine like you have cost "to get in the door" to do small jobs like that, if ya don't mind tellin' me.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Good effort. I think I would have welded a triangular gusset on the underside of the swim step (on that existing tube stiffener) that the ladder would have rested against instead of bringing something out from the transom but that'll work and your welding looks really nice.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Like chaps said. It will work and last a long time. Dave no since of adventure. Get the drill out and install a mod or two. Holes do not hurt if done right and if you need something installed :smitty: :gunner2:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
no excuses

Post by no excuses »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Okay........I guess I'll comment. Since no one has.

I'm confuzzed :smitty:

Is part of that "stand off" part of the ladder or part of the new part now bolted thru the transom? I see a bolt in the stand off so...I'm assuming. But not sure of what I'm seeing. A mock up part? Maybe you're not done yet, huh?

Wish I could weld like that. Probably could if I had the right equipment, hell I have so much time on my hands I know I could learn no problem.

I have a $60K boat general rule, and maybe it's just me. NO holes any where in the ouside of the boat that weren't put there by the factory. Pretty much went that direction too, with my ole glass boat I used to have, which I paid half of that for brand new.

It's probably, "Jus me". :rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW......what's a machine like you have cost "to get in the door" to do small jobs like that, if ya don't mind tellin' me.
The standoff is the part that is bolted to the transom and extends out to the ladder. I will unbolt and remove the the back half when I am not using the 4 step ladder and just have the stock two stepper. Thanks for the comments on the welding, I just bought the spool gun and this is only my third project with it. First project was the rador tower, I should post a few pics of that, it turned out halfway decent. I have done a lot of mig and stick welding so that helps a bit once you figure out wire speed and volts. Thin aluminum still kicks my a__ lol. Aluminum will blow through a lot easier then steel.

I will post a couple of pics of the holes I made in bow for draining the water out, brake out the hole saw :shocked: . After the first time it gets easier and since I am well under the $60k limit its no problems :mrgreen: .

A new miller 180 runs around $850, spool gun runs $200 and then a bottle of gas, lots of tips(yeh I use quite a few lol), and spools of wire. probably set up ready to go for around $1200. I have had my miller 175 for 6-8 years now and just bought the spool gun and couple extra bottles of gas since I bought the boat.

stan
no excuses

Post by no excuses »

Chaps wrote:Good effort. I think I would have welded a triangular gusset on the underside of the swim step (on that existing tube stiffener) that the ladder would have rested against instead of bringing something out from the transom but that'll work and your welding looks really nice.
Thanks and thanks, :beer:
no excuses

Post by no excuses »

goatram wrote:Like chaps said. It will work and last a long time. Dave no since of adventure. Get the drill out and install a mod or two. Holes do not hurt if done right and if you need something installed :smitty: :gunner2:

and if you screw up just weld it back up :gunner2:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Okay, the sticking out off the transom piece jus' stays there, then? But ya carrying a wrench with you in the water? Or gonna use a push-pin?

I guess I have it figgered out....

Yeah, really nice looking welds. Hmmmm....if I had $1200 right now I wouldn't have bald tires on my truck and a stack of bills to pay.

I guess it was one of those if ya have to ask, ya can't afford one type things.

I'll stick to my NO holes rule. Especially since I can't just weld them up and make a scar (goatram) in my boat. I'm constantly thinking re-sale, even though I'll probably never sell. But in my biz ya never know when "outa biz" is gonna take over and liquidation is nesseccary.

Every 4 years during election time, it about puts me under. And I'm getting a bit tired of it. :skillet:
no excuses

Post by no excuses »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Okay, the sticking out off the transom piece jus' stays there, then? But ya carrying a wrench with you in the water? Or gonna use a push-pin?

I guess I have it figgered out....

Will bolt it on at house and leave it till I get home. When usin g the twotep ladder will not need to bolt it on.

Yeah, really nice looking welds. Hmmmm....if I had $1200 right now I wouldn't have bald tires on my truck and a stack of bills to pay.

I understand that one, good thing I spread the purchases out over several years.

I guess it was one of those if ya have to ask, ya can't afford one type things.

I'll stick to my NO holes rule. Especially since I can't just weld them up and make a scar (goatram) in my boat. I'm constantly thinking re-sale, even though I'll probably never sell. But in my biz ya never know when "outa biz" is gonna take over and liquidation is nesseccary.

The first one is the hardest to make, gets easier after that.

Every 4 years during election time, it about puts me under. And I'm getting a bit tired of it. :skillet:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic