How repairable is my salvaged Stabicraft?

Get help and share Ideas
calstabi

How repairable is my salvaged Stabicraft?

Post by calstabi »

My 22ft Stabicraft was run over by a larger mass...........

Insurance co is asking if I want to buy my Stabicraft salvage.....

The Stabi is a 2003 659...22ft...........minus the engine how repairable is this guy and what would be
a reasonable salvage price to pay?

Might be able to find a great Aluminum welder who use to build ACB's in Bellingham, WA...........

Some pics

Chaps
Donator '09

Re: How repairable is my salvaged Stabicraft?

Post by Chaps »

The construction technique used to build those boats is so complex (compared to most alloy boats) that a repair of that one would be near impossible. On top of that your title will show that it was totaled and rebuilt so its resale value would be close to zero IMO.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
calstabi

Post by calstabi »

Thanks Chaps.

If this guy is thought to be non repairable would the insurance co only get the value of scrap aluminum at a salvage auction?

One place shows scrap aluminum going for 60 to 90 cents/lb depending ..........

Thanks
Craig
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

auctions are really unpredictable (greater fool theory applies) but in reality the alloy scrap value is what its worth IMO
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
StabicraftMarine
Sponsor

Post by StabicraftMarine »

Without pulling it down to know exactly what is needed, I can't say for sure but from what I can see, we have repaired worse.
If you are serious about it, we should be able to send over pressed and flat parts with a container heading your way.
Just think, you could do everything else you always wanted at the same time...

How do the rules work in the US? If this boat is written off, does it stay in a registry noted as a damaged boat? Any chance if you buy it at scrap value that you can apply to have a new number as a home made scratch build?

Tim.
http://www.stabicraft.com

For your nearest dealer...
888 GO STABI (USA)
1800 178 224 (AUS)
0800 478 224 (NZ)

For the Invercargill, NZ factory - 0064 3 2111 828
calstabi

Post by calstabi »

Thank You Tim! Is Marty no longer active for Stabicraft US?

The Insurance Co gave me back my Stabi today.........minus the engine!

The Stabi likely saved my life.............I was run over by a 40ft 20 Ton Commercial Fishing boat last August............
9 miles off Huntington Beach, California. That ruptured chamber and something else(?) ............did allow a flood of water and the Stabi capsized in about 20 seconds of being hit.

To get this boat re licensed............I probably need a Certificate of Salvage...........repair the boat back to original.........and passes inspection..............someone knows much more than I do on this point.
Expect this boat to take a real hit in resale value after rebuilding..........it will be marked as Salvaged.
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

With all due respect to you, Tim and the Stabi product. If the boat capsized within 20 seconds of being hit, how did it save your life? If you had foam floatation under the gunwales rather than air chambers. The boat would have been equally damaged but it probably wouldn't have capsized.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Hey Craig,
That is an odd turn of events at maybe getting the boat back from the insurance company...

Where is it? At our marina? We could get some detailed pics for Stabicraft to look at.

As I remember, the hull looked untouched. I bet she could be fixed, but probably really expensive. The cabin had a some damage also right?
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Quote: ""My 22ft Stabicraft was run over by a larger mass...........""

Tell us about the law suit your in with the commercial boat that ran you over? Or were you in the way?

WOW, I guess there's alot more to this story :popcorn:

What's that? Black bedliner or just paint? And people ask me about my boat getting hot :shocked: You can go white next time around.

The 3rd picture is interesting, is that just a weld that said POP?
StabicraftMarine
Sponsor

calstabi wrote:Thank You Tim! Is Marty no longer active for Stabicraft US?
Marty is still the man in the US, calling the 888 number in my sig goes straight to his cell phone. I look after marketing for the company in NZ hence I pop up from time to time. I keep an eye on trends and things and try to answer any questions that get left un answered.

The email address in my sig will get through to the front desk here if you do decide to get parts. By the sounds of it though, it might not be worth it if the hull is forever known to have been damaged.

Nice of the insurance company to give you the hull, here they would have sold it on our 'ebay' with scrap value as the starting bid. No doubt someone would have picked it up to repair but then our regs are far more relaxed. You can pretty much do what you want and sell it. Its hard on manufacturers that try to support dealer margins with as many back yard builders selling direct. Rant over.

Tim.

Edited as I have no email address in my sig - best to PM me. We dont need more spam. Who does.
Last edited by StabicraftMarine on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

888 GO STABI (USA)
1800 178 224 (AUS)
0800 478 224 (NZ)

StabicraftMarine
Sponsor

CTMD wrote:With all due respect to you, Tim and the Stabi product. If the boat capsized within 20 seconds of being hit, how did it save your life? If you had foam floatation under the gunwales rather than air chambers. The boat would have been equally damaged but it probably wouldn't have capsized.
None taken, we all go about solving problems in our own way. There are lots of things the boat could have been to do better in that circumstance. It looks like more than just one pontoon was breached and the hull too. Having foam in each of the pontoons could have helped the boat from turning turtle but not having been there, I couldnt say. A lot is going to come down to the total buoyancy left in the hull and the weight balance. We have a fairly unique design that goes against the grain for some people. They remain popular and if one thing is a good indicator its how many manufacturers copy you. Another of NZ's larger players just announced they are releasing a line of our style boats.

From the last thread on this. Construction was seen as a savior.

Tim.

888 GO STABI (USA)
1800 178 224 (AUS)
0800 478 224 (NZ)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic