The Journey Begins

Get help and share Ideas
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: The Journey Begins

Post by Chaps »

John, those water leaks are usually right at the meter on the customer's side (I take care of an 84 hook-up system)
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Bob I have dug about 10 test holes along the route where my Pipe should run and I can not find any water. The Snohomish PUD came out we shut off the valve at the house and my meter continued to run at about 6 Gallons an hour. No water at the surface to signal where to dig. Also the pipe is black ABS so It is not easily found . So I start to dig from the meter to the house. I have rocky soil :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Well played sir....... No I 'm not degrading any woman who allows us to have serious fishing machines :thumbsup: and the equipment to fish it properly. Never thought my views and Jetties would ever be put into the same context :rotfl: Well we both love Aluminum Alloy :thumbsup:

Just me reliving a part of my past...... A friend bought a boat, to make it fit in the garage we removed the laundry sink without asking. A well deserved :skillet: and :nutkick: That was my young and dumb years.

Tell your wife Thank you for the Dipping Sauce recipe. I remember it cause I use it.

Are you going to put a Davit on the boat for Dungies?
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

goatram wrote:Bob I have dug about 10 test holes along the route where my Pipe should run and I can not find any water. The Snohomish PUD came out we shut off the valve at the house and my meter continued to run at about 6 Gallons an hour. No water at the surface to signal where to dig. Also the pipe is black ABS so It is not easily found . So I start to dig from the meter to the house. I have rocky soil :banghead:
Call a leak finder service. They use super sensitive ground microphones to listen for leaks. No find/no pay
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

As for his wife. Yes she is a very special women (it would be better if she liked boats ha ha). I agree just hire a leak guy and find it. Saves you some time and money.

Anyway's.................

When are you going to extend the shop? LOL. Get on with it all ready and have a nice area to work with. You can't have your tongue sticking out the front door and no space for the twins. This is not acceptable buddy!!!!

As for the strakes. They look really nice but is the back end open? I thought there was some talk on here about corrosion issues with strakes being closed?
Last edited by Sculpin on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Very nice John. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If you made the Tin Lizzy longer, then making the roof higher shouldn't be too bad. If you have the skills & help to do it, then do it. Cool looking boat already. Can't wait to see the finished product. :popcorn:
And don't forget to update your "Towing Your Boat" picture.... :rotfl: :rotfl:
goatram

Post by goatram »

Ordered up the first load of Aluminum to redo the roof, start the floors, and replace the railing on the front.
Also today I cut and laid in the temp floors of OSB. I used the scraps I had out in the barn. Last year OSB was between $6 to $7 a sheet. Today up in my neck of the woods its $13,99 a sheet. The Cheap 1/2" plywood is $20. Glad I am not building this year any new WOOD Projects.

Bob and Kevin
Turned in the Lincoln 350 MP for testing and updates. Hopefully it will be back week after next. Start cutting on Monday.

Bob Called the leak company to come out and do my searching. shows up in the morning. PUD did not say anything about such a service just dig and install a new line. :shocked:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Test picture using my Droid phone , ATT SERVICE, gatortail boat at Cabelas in Louisiana.
Attachments
IMAG0140.jpg
IMAG0140.jpg (90.22 KiB) Viewed 9074 times
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram

Post by goatram »

Sure Les Rub it in why don't ya :beer:

Sent a text last night to Les saying that I can not log in to AAB with my Droid on Verizon. I would like to use TapaTalk too :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

John, are you done yet? :mrgreen: :popcorn:

I may have to head South and cross the line to check this bad girl out.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram

Post by goatram »

found the location of the leak. In front of my garage under the concrete. I will be digging it out to find and fix it in the morning.

John The room is awaiting you.

I have a new "Metabo" Brand grinder made for a 4" "meat ax" I also ordered up 2ea. 2" meat axes for my air Cut Off Grinder.
$78. and $70 are the prices per blade. I hope they last longer than the $10 7.5 saw Blades for my circular saw.

My Aluminum Should be showing soon. so progress to start soon.

I did think of a way to make the head. Make it like Hewescraft by bumping up the center of the roof 6 to 7". this would be masked in the front by the brow and the back by the rods.

I am not thinking right am I? :shocked:
Attachments
Hewes-61610-1020.jpg
Hewes-61610-1020.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 9014 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That sounds like a great way to solve the headroom problem without tearing the top off the boat. Just cut out a slot about 36" wide down the center of the top and fab a raised section over the slot (use the removed section if possible). You don't need the height at the cabin sides since that's where your seats or cabinets are . . . you don't ever stand there. If you did it right you wouldn't even necessarily need to hide it.

Did the leak finder company find the problem? Must have if it was under concrete. You'd have dug up the whole yard and still not found it . . . makes for a grumpy goatram :banghead:
goatram

Post by goatram »

Yes Bob the leak is fixed. American Leak Detection came out Monday Morning Found the leak. Took my money and said goodbye :gunner2: . This Morning I started at 9am. By Noon I had dug the hole found the pipe and found my leak. It was the copper elbow that was not properly sweated. It also had a small pin hole on the top just forward of the inner pipe. That hole was right were the void in the joint was. I did the repair and then back filled with a mix of sand and portland cement. I mixed it really wet and half the amount cement. Ken Penell aka FLASHER told me about this. http://www.concretethinker.com/applicat ... -Fill.aspx
Stuff fills all of the crevices an because I had dug under my slab I had to do something to support the area. Supposedly it can be dug back out relativity easily and supports the slab as if I had packed in the fill as recommended Will know tomorrow.

Know the restart of my project. My Stock of Aluminum should be here tomorrow or Thursday'

I found jrodger's build last night here so that gave me some Ideas on the cuddy and cabin. Thanks Bob for the vote. :highfive: Time to see if it will work and look good.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

seems strange that you would have copper water line w/fittings buried under a slab like that - usually its black poly line from the meter to the house
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

You did cover the copper with something before you dumped the cement mix in didn't you ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram

Post by goatram »

Today I took delivery of my initial aluminum order. This pile of aluminum should be enough to do my floors, raise my cuddy roof, and my house roof. Plus make my railings for the bow and back deck.

Chaps; the poly runs from the meter to the front of my house. It connects to the copper pipe about 3' from the garage floor.

Les Know you tell me. :nutkick: Ken my Building Consultant/buddy recommended the CDF and no he did not tell me. I guess I will find out if it truly will be easy to dig out. This will happen after the journey is completed and the boat is in the water. when it leaks again :banghead: I did find this on my google search: :deadhorse:

Q: Does copper corrode when it's embedded in concrete? I've heard that copper pipes that penetrate concrete floors and copper shower pans in contact with concrete or cement board can corrode. I've also been told to wrap protruding copper pipes with tar paper before embedding them in concrete.

A: According to petrographer Bernie Erlin, copper won't corrode in concrete unless soluble chlorides are present. When copper is adjacent to steel reinforcement, and an electrolyte such as chloride is present, steel corrosion is likely to occur due to galvanic action. Under these circumstances, you should insulate the copper with a suitable coating. Erlin also says that very small amounts of ammonia and possibly nitrates can cause stress corrosion cracking of copper pipes embedded in concrete.

Two tanks will be made. This will allow a center floor support to be installed made from 1.5" "T" chord with a connecting web. Each tank will be 8'L X 20"W. One addition thing that will be added is a 2" tall lip welded to the bottom of each tank about 2" forward of the aft end at an angle; top pointed aft. This should catch and trap any water that gets in the tank to be drained.

How do I past a pdf file here? this might work!
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attach ... del-1-.pdf
Attachments
29'build9.jpg
29'build9.jpg (139.17 KiB) Viewed 8946 times
29'build10.jpg
29'build10.jpg (135.38 KiB) Viewed 8946 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
goatram

Post by goatram »

Yesterday; Sunday was spent with Bite Me Brian (owner of a Uniflight that he is installing a big BACK SIDE Diesel in place of the Gas Motor) and Ted aka BV (oner of a 26' Northriver OS) fishing for silvers.
ted.jpg
ted.jpg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 8903 times
I also spent working on the boat. Cut off the bow railing. Also mocked up cardboard for the raising of the 35" center of my roof. The sides of the roof either side of the center will be capped with 3" flat bar and a piece of plate will enclose the roof. Hand Rails will be bent and tucked up and welded to the flat bar. Also the bar will leave a 1.5" catch for things to be stashed overhead 7" gap either side of the opening. For the time being use your imagination. Ask Ken I do not put much down in drawings for others to imagine.
29'build11.jpg
29'build11.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 8903 times
The flat piece sticking out of the window is my helm. It is now trimmed to fit and ready to be welded in.
29'build12.jpg
29'build12.jpg (102.45 KiB) Viewed 8903 times
The corner will be enclosed. This create a opening above the center window that will will be the radio compartment housing CB, VHF, and music radios. Dimension of the space is 35" X 7" X 7" high.
29'build13.jpg
29'build13.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 8903 times
I also Did some prep for the floor to ready for the tanks. We also got back my welder from Central Welding getting it updated and tuned up ready to weld with. 2 Tank that measure 20" W X 14.5" high X 8' long at the top holding 104 gallons each. The bottom will be bent to fit the the frame @ 9' X 10.7" X 10.45"

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attach ... del-1-.pdf
I can not post a PDF of the tank nor can I change it to a .gif So I post a link to BD of my posting there. They let me post .pdf files :gunner2:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I am going to delete this off of my photobucket account and computer. Please make a jpeg copy for further use if you want.

Any PDf file you want converted..... My Alloy friend
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
goatram

Post by goatram »

Thanks Mark
I will copy it and add it here Hosted by Les's website. I do not use Photoshop cause if you do not keep up with the account all your photo's can be lost. Such a pain and Loss to a good thread story when the pictures go a missing.
Attachments
My fuel tank. There will be a baffle every 2 feet welded inside
My fuel tank. There will be a baffle every 2 feet welded inside
risserfuelcellModel1.jpg (55.62 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
goatram

Post by goatram »

The work continues. The welder (Lincoln 350MP) is now dialed and welding. This Saturday got the aft deck sub structure finished welded. I had to be at work at 2:30 so that is as far we got.
Sunday Dave aka fogdocker A BD pal who owns a brand new Alumaweld showed had him cutting some T bar supports for use under the future 4' x 6' fishbox. Got them welded in. Got the supports cut for the fuel tank cut ready to be welded in after the cabin is welded out. Portside
29'build14.jpg
29'build14.jpg (97.97 KiB) Viewed 8843 times
Aft looking forward 4" from the hull to the topside of the support. The height is due to the frames already installed
29'build15.jpg
29'build15.jpg (109.64 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
I did mark and cut out the front deck to raise it up for the cuddy. Don't have a picture of that yet.

Last picture is one from the back deck looking fwd at the roof. When the tanks are done and the floors are complete we will cut and raise the roof and make the decision if we cut the cabin down and delete the head. Making the back deck about 10' long
29'build16.jpg
29'build16.jpg (83.8 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
Standby for future updates with pictures
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

John, think about leaving the top full length if you decide to move the aft bulkhead forward. Gives a spot for those on deck to get out of the rain and ov'hd spray. My cabin top was flush with the bulkhead and I ended up extending it and am sure glad I did.
goatram

Post by goatram »

Bob for fishing need the overhead casting room. There is a 10" metal awning now. the 26' and 28' duckworths have a cloth awning that is deployable if needed. Most likely used only when fishing for Salmon in the winter time. I will be using their fold down seating arrangement though. The head closet is the wasted space for me. A bucket has sufficed fine up to now. And a porta potty under the cuddy bed like Raider and a few others use. A sink, stove, and Reefer is needed to make it usable as my camper when down at the marina. I like Pete's Bunk Beds for his kids that he put on Patience. Pipe with fabric like the litters from WW 2. Cables to hang them in the cabin when in use stowed in the cuddy when not in use. Ideas are flowing threw my head. My wife catches me all of the time; drawing pictures in the air with my hands. Thinking about my girlfriend and the shape of things to come. :hammer:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

John, I actually prefer to sleep up on the bunks. I throw a thick thermarest on the cot and it is lights out for me. I think mine are 6' 10". Did you get my link to my build from another forum that I PM'd you? I know that I posted it here once upon a time, but it is no longer here.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram

Post by goatram »

I did Pete. I am now a member there now as well. I will be a lurker there. Read my signature. A master I am.

I will be thinking long and hard about them cots. Do they bounce out of your fitting while under way or do you not have to mess with them besides moving them to the stowed position?
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I have yet to have them bounce out of position. The cradle is lined with carpet as are the ends of each cot. They stay put. They are great to store stuff on as well.
Last edited by spoiled one on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic