The Journey Begins

Get help and share Ideas
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

The Journey Begins

Post by goatram »

Bean Custom Marine Fabrication
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=82 ... CB4Q8gEwAA

In 3 hours the journey to begins. I am a A&P Licensed Mechanic not a welder. I enjoy working on Alloy and Fabricating things. I have built and driven Modified Dirt Track Race Cars while I was stationed at Moody AFB in Valdosta GA for six years. I did it on a shoestring budget. Wrecked three cars in three seasons. Traded the first 2 for the next one. Wrecked it, then finally put it on a jig and rebuilt it into a true race car raced it for two more years till I got my orders to Misawa Japan. There I got into building motorcycle trailers on the back porch of government quarters while I was riding dirt bikes. Spent the last three years on crutches while my right lwr leg healed. (Long Painful Story also why I never made E8) I retired in 97 from the Air Force moved to Washington State. Here I cut my teeth on my 21' Northriver Seahawk. Now I will see if i can play with the big Boys.

Want you all to know that this will be a Long Thread that will a few months to explain and complete. Hopefully we will have at least one new member because of this. I will report back tomorrow night with Pictures :gunner2: :beer:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: The Journey Begins

Post by mojomizer »

Godspeed on your journey Goatram. Seeing your builds throughout the years I know you will do more than just fine. Your support team on AAb is here for you. I look forward to reading :thumbsup:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Looking forward to what ever comes our way .
Is it bigger than a bread box ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Oh yeah! Can't wait to see how this progresses!
goatram

Post by goatram »

Here at work. The 29" boat with a premade "Fort" is in my possession. It is currently being dragged to the house by my young Son for my Wife to see it and for me to get in the hot water with when I get home :hammer: My wife is the one using the hammer.

Les I have tried to connect as well as my son with is Apple Phone but in the NW it will not allow us to connect to AAB. We time out. We both get to other sites me to BD and IFish; Him to Facebook. Also as a reminder Tapatalk app?

As soon as I can get those pictures from my phone I will post up. Tonight will be a long one. Need to pull 8 Hours then I can go home at 0200 hrs. Got up at 0500 hrs and drove 350 miles to get back here. I also had to spring for 6 new tires. There were Passenger Car Tires installed on the trailer. :shocked: The local Les Shwab had them in stock in Clarkston, WA. I also got a spare rim and mounted one of the car tires to it. :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

OHHHHH BOYYYYY!!!!!! (very excited to see this project) :clap:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram

Post by goatram »

I talked to Les Saturday morning on the way home from Westport, WA. I went down there after work at midnight to pick up my Truck Camper at the CG left WP at 9 am 370 mile trip. The trip to Clarkston was 700 miles round trip. Do the math. the return trip I got around 5 mipg doing 70 going up the 5 and 6 mile long grades. The Superduty held her own. She got UMPTH :thumbsup:

(i cut and pasted this cause someone let me BD Bruthas in on the secret) (nofish2day aka Pat)
All Right someone has spilled my news by coping and posting a link to Aluminum Alloy Boats .com. Fisherman from that site posted a Craigslist add in AAB's Clasified (Something that this site frowns on).It was for a unfinished welded Aluminum 29' Pilothouse. I was thinking and scheming to build a 27' Coldwater boat. I was talking with and waiting on someone to buy their 29' Sportsman model that they designed this year. I was going to have it shrunk by 2'. Bob aka chaps(AAB aka Omakase (Here on BD) sold me a Lincoln 350MP with about 5 hours of use back in July. That was the first item I needed to build the boat. I got a hell of a good deal and I have thanked Bob for a great gift. Plus when I am ready He will paint the bottom of my new toy (Boat).

I got the hull, Pilothouse, and a trailer for less than what I would have had to pay for the material, plans, Cutting by KK of Bellingham along with a trailer to fit the boat. Listed at $32,000 I paid $27,000 plus $867 for 6 new tires at Les Shwab.

I have to finish the welding on the PH, install floors and then fit the boat to my liking. My mind is racing now thinking of neat things for my Custom Boat. It will have air ride front seats a given.
more to come. Will be posting pictures shortly

The boat was being built for a commercial application.
The back door is Diamond Seaglaze unit. I will be cutting those back two windows as well as 3 to 4 more for the head in the back portside corner.

Power will be twins. F250s used most likely. $20,000 compared to $40,000 +.

I do anticipate a lot of WTFs and why don't you do this or that from all of you brathas. Plus my chief welder (my son Jamie) will be putting his two pennies in to the warped mind of mine. Last but not least by Friday i should get the drawings along with the title for the trailer and the license plate. I am holding the plate that is on it for ransom. (XMT (gov)) it got me home and past the state trooper on I-90 before Issaqua doing 67. He passed me and kept going west. Then the afternoon traffic sloooowed me down

Riddle jet of Lewiston ID did the hull. The designer is still unknown at this time. Dale Bean of BMF (Beam Marine Fabrication) did the swim step and designed and built the Pilothouse. Still needs finish welding in spots. I did tell him about the Plastic Boat Builder named BAMF (Bad A$$ Motha F*%$er)
Attachments
Her she is hooked to my truck and you can see the White wall tires. Back ones look flat.
Her she is hooked to my truck and you can see the White wall tires. Back ones look flat.
29'build1.jpg (148.41 KiB) Viewed 20884 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Looks good behind the pisser John. You stole it at that price and saved yourself a ton of man hours. Congrats dude :beer:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

THAT-A-BOY. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I knew you could do it. :highfive: :highfive:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Number 1 design task......... A way to keep expensive rod and reels from " falling overboard" :rotfl:

Congratulations on your new purchase. looking forward to reading about your vision quest. The tuna bug must have bitten you hard. When I see that hull I immediately start seeing a Albie slayer in the making. Some year classes of those northern albacore get well over 70 lbs.

For information purpose please post that hull into the Comparing Hulls thread. Professor Morin is posting quite a discussion on hull designs.

A Big Thank You for sharing you journey on AAB.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Post by aluminumdreamer »

Holy Smokes! Congrats on the purchase. Can't wait to see this project come together. :clap:

Nate.
goatram

Post by goatram »

I am Brainstorming, doing what ifs, Measuring. (For the life of me I can not find but 1 12' tape measure. I must have 8 in the shop) The Diamond Seaglaze door needs to be removed and sold and a slider purchased and installed in its place.

Figured out the Dash Placement It was cut short but figured it will leave room for the wipers and after they are located will bend up and install pockets for stuff to migrate to and they will not keep moving around. this will allow a 7' cuddy. Still debating on raising the roof

Floor height to gunnel will be around 27" with a toe kick rod that Tuf Boot Toes will fit under . No Crocs allowed on this here boat dude. :hammer:

200 gallon tank set on the frames inside the Cabin 10" tall from the frame to the floor equates to A 12' long tank standing on a piece of OSB on Angle Floor to ceiling height is 6' 2.5" so 6' 3" will be the finished height. I am 6' 4" tall An issue I will have to live with.

I included the Pictures of the Bow and the Strakes that were installed any one have an opinion. Will it help or hurt performance and yes mark I will be posting up a picture of the hull. Now I have been following it and even PM Kevin for some in sight of my hull already.
My Bow and the strakes installed
My Bow and the strakes installed
29'build3.jpg (108.65 KiB) Viewed 20821 times
A little closer view. The Sides look Vertical
A little closer view. The Sides look Vertical
29'build4.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 20821 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

What a score John! Couldn't you modify the Cabin so that it will accommodate your tall frame? I think you will regret it in the long run.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

goatram,
let me encourage you to make all effort to lift the cabin top OR drop the deck, don't allow the original boat to make your head bang or brush the ceiling/cabin top lining!!!!
'Spoiled one' is preaching to you Brother !! he's telling you the Gospel in (metal) Boats: it's yours- make it fit YOU, not some short welder like me!

What are we talking here? A little floor frame modification OR a 'chop-n-channel' job on the cabin top; going the other way.

for you, in X-tra Tufs, I'd go 6'6" inside. Whose boat is this?

cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
goatram

Post by goatram »

The Designer Is unknown at this time the plans are coming in the mail. The floor can be dropped easier than the top raised unless I want to redo it Completely. The Sides have been welded to the Gunnel and roof on the outside; but cutting the top free and make new supports and then adding new sheets to the roof might work better that way. That would work and I can actually rais the floor to get 12" tall tank Ideas do flow both ways.

I am not a fan of the square edge detail that the boat has currently either. The eye brow on the front would look more pleasing. and it is easier to do than cutting the sides from the Gunnel. Also the Bow Rail will be cut off and a new one rolled and formed to have a slight Flair outboard of the sides. Right now they are flat sided with bends at the uprights.

Pete and Kevin Thanks for kick starting my mind again on the Journey
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

You going with self-bailing floors?
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

John, when I had Patience built I told the builder that I need to fit my 6 foot 9 father. We dropped the floor a couple of inches and the roof received a greater curve (not sure of the official term). I love the space!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram

Post by goatram »

Robert It will be Self Bailing No Question about it.
Blood in the bilge Stinks
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Seriously behind the times.....I read the first post and didn't have a clue of what you were doing, ole man.

Now I got it.

It's about time :!: I read the post how you liked that boat. Now I'm happy to see you in your element.

That pisser needs some load behind her anda larger boat will keep yer bones and screws together, better.

I'll be watching. :thumbsup: Why doesn't anyone just put two Lazyboys in those forts. Mine at home serves as a bed and a kitchen table all the time. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Where's the picture of the wifes face :shocked: when it rolled into the driveway? That's what I wanna see!

I know how women think, was her next words......"when are you getting rid of the other boat now?"
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Nice job they did on those strakes, 100% weld eliminates a lot of corrosion issues. Looks like they are also a big part of the framing (as hull stiffeners). They are also wide enough to provide some actual lift. Have not seen a transom pic but if that deep entry carries most of the way back for 20°+ deadrise at the transom that is going to be one great rough water boat. Has the kid figured out how to use the 350MP? Looks like he's about to learn!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
plumbwolf

Post by plumbwolf »

Good Luck John ! going to have to visit the build first hand let me know if you need any help ! :beer:
goatram

Post by goatram »

The work will start shortly.after i find the leak in my water line to the house valve.

I did get the boat in the shop today
29'build5.jpg
29'build5.jpg (116.48 KiB) Viewed 19512 times
The swim step backed in to the shop TIGHT
29'build6.jpg
29'build6.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 19512 times
The swim step backed in to the shop TIGHT
29'build7.jpg
29'build7.jpg (107.61 KiB) Viewed 19512 times
Door closed and secured
29'build8.jpg
29'build8.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 19512 times
Kevin and Pete; both made a good point. I will be cutting the roof off and raising it and making it a few inches taller. Currently spot welded on the sides and fully welded front and back.

Bob I need to take the welder into United Electric motor for them to Update the software. One of the son's friends came over to assist. He uses the the same welder at Munson. Kevin made a mention of some possible factory defects of the power Supply.
Kevin It will be easier to drop it off and pick it up all done.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Brilliant :thumbsup: Trailer tongue hanging out the garage. Cannot wait to see the living room with Twin Lower units and props :rotfl: Set up the Go Pro Act like you are going to cut wall and have the wife help out :popcorn:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
goatram

Post by goatram »

Mark that is the shop.

You and Jetty are looking for pictures of my wife? She is a good sport. But I make the money to pay the bills and Leave her with something when I die. I will make enough when I retire to live on. Money is in the Retirement funds. House should be paid off by the time I plan on dieing, Plus she and my young son are going to Thailand to visit around Christmas time. So she can not complain Tooooooo Much :hammer:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

John, I had something replaced under warranty not too long after I got it . . . for the life of me I don't remember what it was or what the problem was but something got replaced early on . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic