The improved fish camp thread

Get help and share Ideas
Sculpin

The improved fish camp thread

Post by Sculpin »

Didn't know where to post this one so here it goes anyways..........

After 5 years of owning my lot at Salmon Beach I am finally doing something with her. The missed time fishing will pay off big time in the future.

She was a very basic camp before. I put an old rammer trailer on her that was good for two full sized fisherman to get out of the weather and that was it. None of the appliances worked, no power, no services, nothing.......

Here's Bart (aka chipstealer) during our first outing last year in the monsoon rains.

This June pulling the old gal out to get ready for the blitz.

My buddy Steve and I cut down and burned as much as we could before our buddy showed up with his rig.

I had to find out where the new dump site was and drove around quite a bit to finally find it. I talked to the local guy up there that has rights to it with the Ministry etc. and had to drive our excavator buddy out there and show him the spot. We passed this bear on the way. It wasn't scared of us one bit. Weird for a young one. They usually wonder off right away when you pull up.

Continued......
Last edited by Sculpin on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: The improved fish camp thread

Post by Sculpin »

I took care of the weed eating John LOL :gunner2: :clap: :beer:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

We put in three 12 hour days Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Our buddy with the rig is an animal!!! I am sooooo sore from chain sawing, running around with shovels, and rakes etc.. Felt like I was 20 something again and lived to tell about it lol.

Getting at her with the blitz......

ImageImage

We ended up with 8 dump truck loads of stumps and roots that had to be hauled off site.

Load after load came off the site.....

Our buddy that runs the machine is an awesome guy. Work a holic and awesome. He has been running machines his whole life. He took the old snag that I had cut down by some aerial tree guy a couple weeks back. This thing was 90' tall and was too dangerous for the excavator to push over. We took those cuttings and the final 18 foot stump that was pushed over successfully and turned them into split rail.

Here is how he did it.

Click the photo for the video.......

Continued..........
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

A view from the back after the main blitz......

Coming a long now. You get to see how much space there really is with a 60' x 120' lot!!! It was only just over half cleared when I bought it.

Digging the first hole for the septic holding tank.

Digging the second hole for the water storage tank.

We hit pay dirt digging those holes. When they developed the lots they must of put road base in on the front of my lot while building the road. This material was awesome stuff to put at the back and we stock piled it.

Continued...........
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I hired the local guy with a bigger machine to lift the tanks in place. They weigh 14000 lbs!!! Our buddy's machine is good for 10,000.

Took the split up old snag and lined the driveway with it. Nice reminder of the old dead tree me thinks.

First tank in place. This is for septic holding.

Second tank in place. This is for collecting rain water.

Looking good.

Continued.............
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Lot's of work last weekend. We cleared, hauled, installed, and almost did it all lol.

Our buddy said we should put in a perimeter drain trench along the back and lower side of the property to keep the lot dry. I took his advice.

I still need to have drain rock brought in etc. to finish it.

How she looks at the end of a long day on Sunday.

Clean outs for trailers, water collection, water supply, and drainage. Going to have the power rigged this weekend and the supply hooked up early next week. Can't wait.

I still have to have some pit run brought in to back fill the tanks and some 3/4 crush to finalize the driveway and trailer locations. I have some old mill screen that I will put under the trailers and I have some big plans for the trailers as well. I will get the "guest" spot done up later or next year. Running out of money lol. I will post up the continuation later.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Great story and great pics! This brings back some very fond memories of when we bought our first farm and there is nothing that can compare with the exhilaration of seeing it all coming together. Congratulations and you've every right to be very proud. Gorgeous spot! :beer:
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

John, is that place several miles off the highway that leads out to Uky? If yes I went out there years ago thinking about getting a lot but finally decided I lived too far away. Damn that is a drive but what a neat place.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:John, is that place several miles off the highway that leads out to Uky? If yes I went out there years ago thinking about getting a lot but finally decided I lived too far away. Damn that is a drive but what a neat place.
Yes it is. You should have bought one if it was awhile ago. Some people have made pretty good money on them if you bought early enough. I did not :banghead: . It's a 2.5 hour drive from my house so that is a bonus. I usually head up every weekend in the summer. We get lot's of use out of it.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That had to have been about 15 years ago . . . I think a lot could be had for about $7,000?
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:That had to have been about 15 years ago . . . I think a lot could be had for about $7,000?
Yup. Like I said lots of people made good buying in early. You can add another zero to that for what I paid :banghead: :hammer: . I'm in it for the long run now!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Not so rustic now. :beer:

Always more work to be done.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sculpin,

Watched a TV travel show about Vancouver and Vancouver Island, Victoria etc. Where are you compared ?

Sure looks like beautiful country. Where's the camp compared to where you live?

Ya got "screen shot"? Cause if so a Google Earth pic is how I look around up your way.

Yeah, I SPY AROUND :thumbsup:

This looks as good as your boat rehab posts.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

48°57'34.61N
125°25'56.82W
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Looks good John. How big of a cabin are you putting up? :beer:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:Looks good John. How big of a cabin are you putting up? :beer:
No cabin for many years Pete. I'm putting the old trailer back on and a new to me 5th wheel. I traded a guy a hard top for his Grady for the trailer. I'm painting the trailers and putting small trusses and sheet metal roofs on them so I can attach some gutters and collect the rain water. Hillbilly Comfort Inn lol. with a nice yard :thumbsup: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Throw out some blue tarps and you will fit right in with the AK hill billies!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

2 twenty foot ocean containers laying 12 feet apart with a truss roof between 'em . . . that's PacNW cracka heaven
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:Throw out some blue tarps and you will fit right in with the AK hill billies!
I personally like the green ones myself. Its a more neutral and calming color :mrgreen: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:2 twenty foot ocean containers laying 12 feet apart with a truss roof between 'em . . . that's PacNW cracka heaven
That sounds a lot nicer than what I am going to do. I guess I'm just not cracka material :rotfl:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

My SIL wanted to build one. Thankfully he decided not to but they do look OK with some paint. They can come insulated, Fire Proof And Tight
http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remodeling ... -of-living
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Sounds like some of you have some GOOD Redneck inya.

I'm impressed. :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

That is one wicked project... great location for fishing

Thanks for sharing

p.s.
jealous in sooke :beer:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I'm trying to get up there again this week to get the tanks finally back filled in and get some 3/4 crush put on the drive way. Once this is done I can lay down some old mill screen below the trailers so nothing grows up under them. I can then start hooking things up. This weekend the Hydro pole goes in with the meter and 200 amp shut off switch. Next Monday the Hydro company comes and hooks it up. After that I can get my electrician buddy to come and run the wire in the conduit we already buried to my main trailer where the breaker box will be.

Collecting a lot of stuff for the final run at this thing. I'm bagged and need to go fishing.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Had a great weekend up at the lot with Tidal Chaos and Firelight. We had a bit of a late start Friday afternoon due to having to tow the new to me trailer up there myself. My buddy who was going to tow it up there felt bad and bought me a used fifth wheel hitch and dropped it off at the shop just after lunch. Tidal Chaos and Firelight met me there around 3:00 and just like a Nascar pit crew we had it mounted to my truck in no time flat lol.

Tidal Chaos hauled up a whole truck load of stuff in his truck and met us up there. Firelight and myself picked up the trailer and hauled the rest up there. We got in late and proceeded to place the new trailer in it's spot. Once that was done we re-bled my new hydraulic steering ram on the boat and got her ready for fishing in the morning. We were finally done around 2:00 a.m. the next morning.

We fished the morning and into the afternoon. We stayed inside due to the weather forecast. We managed one spring, a coho, 3 lings, and a couple of nice sized rockfish. We lost quite a few nice fish as well. There were porpoises and whales around which was nice to see. I'm glad I took Tidal Chaos's advice and needed to have to some fun.

Firelight playing a salmon.

A nice ling cod caught on a Shimano butterfly jig.

After fishing we moved the old gal back onto the lot. This whole procedure was interesting to say the least lol. It all worked out and is sitting there for now.

Here are a few shots of how we left it for now.

I want to send a big shout out to Bart, Tidal Chaos, and Firelight for all there help with this project and the good times on the water. Great guys for sure. I will try to post up some more as it comes along.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic