Aluminum barge started

Get help and share Ideas
Repairguy

Aluminum barge started

Post by Repairguy »

So we have started the aluminum barge build. We have welded up our 4" channel trusses that are 25 Ft long. We also pre-fabed the 6" channel trusses with cross bracing for the crane framing. Yesterday we started with a few test welds with the 5086 1/4" thick aluminum. We cut strips from weld sections and checked the penetration. We also did test bends. No issues with either. We laid out the 2 five x 20 bottom sheets and beveled the edges on the center weld just like the test welds. The sheets welded nice. We were recommended using 5386 3/64th wire but I think .35 would have been a better choice. I am not good at posting pictures to here yet but I have some on Pinterest under Eric Curtis, Aluminum barge build. :titanic: :smitty:

Always open to new ideas and welding practices.
Anything is possible. People that say No have not tried hard enough. :smitty:
Repairguy

Re: Aluminum barge started

Post by Repairguy »

We are moving along. The trusses are welded to the floor and the transom plate is welded on the back. Engine mount and fuel tank shelfs are done. Welded in the 8 inch aluminum pipe sleeve and winch cable sleeve on to the bottom sheets. The front spud poles go through the deck. Now those are welded we will install the side sheets. The center console is built waiting to be mounted once the floor is done. We TIG welded it to make it look nicer. Photos on Pinterest....
Repairguy

Post by Repairguy »

The sides are on and the front angle is done. Internal framing near finished. Running electric cables for the winch and bilge pumps. Stainless steel thru hull drains with check valves. Looking like a barge.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

What is the link to the pictures! The above name means nothing to me. Sounds like you are moving along. Why SS thru in Aluminum hull?
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Repairguy

Post by Repairguy »

Been missing in action for a while. We finished the aluminum barge and the customer is very happy. They have raised there production with our engineering changes. Last week we shipped a steel 30 x 11.5 Barge that a excavator sits on and they drill holes with it. Next week we start a new Aluminum turn key barge. After the aluminum we have a 35 ft steel crane barge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic