need avice on priming/paint exposed bare aluimin under water level

Get help and share Ideas
Steve the Brain

need avice on priming/paint exposed bare aluimin under water level

Post by Steve the Brain » Sat May 13, 2017 7:06 am

need avice on priming/paint exposed bare aluimin under water level, saltwater.

I'm in the process of redoing my engine POD.

Redoing engine POD keyhole cover

replacing street sign w/ nicer 1/8" sheet aluimin this piece will cover the keyhole and transducer mount screw though hull holes.

I will have my new keyhole cover welded to outside of transome skin I used a flapwheel to remove orgingle enamel paint for good weld adhesion.

Should I also 5200 inside cover? Like around the plywood?

Is it true or false that water can penertrate aluimin welds?

Is it true or false that water can penertrate inperfect aluimin welds?

edit: I want to weld 2"square tubing the starboard side will be long enough to mount trim tabs and transducer.

port side will have square tubing also objective have zero holes though hull.

the top of the TT shock absorber is under water level so I will cut 2" square tube in half then have welded to transom skin.

Thanks for any tips STB
Attachments
POD redo1.jpg
POD redo1p.jpg
pod weldedsm.jpg
POD MOUNTED.jpg
1977 StarCraft 22'Chieftain crusier converted to enclosed pilothouse/ repower inboard to outboard conversion to outboard 175 Johnson/ 14.25 X 21 pitch prop. top speed 52 knt,

Steve the Brain

Re: need avice on priming/paint exposed bare aluimin under water level

Post by Steve the Brain » Sun May 14, 2017 6:37 pm

engine hung

still waiting for paint advice
Attachments
ENGINE  MOUNTEDsm.jpg
1977 StarCraft 22'Chieftain crusier converted to enclosed pilothouse/ repower inboard to outboard conversion to outboard 175 Johnson/ 14.25 X 21 pitch prop. top speed 52 knt,

kmorin
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by kmorin » Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Steve,
There is a thread on painting prep still active, might want to give that a read? it discusses some of the aspects of this work. Many of your other questions' answers could also be found in archived posts- some of them many times- so the site's Search function would probably provide at least fundamental or basic answers?

As a rule of thumb, bare aluminum can be left in salt water without corrosion risk (unless there is stray current on the hull) but it will sure grow 'critters'- sea life likes to bond to bare aluminum without bottom paint. It doesn't seem to corrode the metal but sea grasses and various other other growths sure does slow a boat's speed- so bottom paint is common in salt water.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin

Steve the Brain

Post by Steve the Brain » Sun May 14, 2017 7:28 pm

hello kevin boat still has bottom paint

all I want to cover is exposed aluimin on transome

Steve the Brain

Post by Steve the Brain » Mon May 15, 2017 6:11 am

I would like to prime POD /transom skin only exposed alumin

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/interlu ... 79098.html

the boats freeboard/top/bow complete boats color choosen is light grey metallic, proballey just scuff orginale enamel and use enamel.

bottom paint is fine will leave alone.

I tried rustoleum /self ech primer green stuff and marine topsider on upper bow it didn't turnout.

thanks STB
Attachments
DONE 2.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic