Bare aluminum gunnels?

Get help and share Ideas
flanker71

Bare aluminum gunnels?

Post by flanker71 »

Bought a 2000 Hewescraft 179 from a coworker knowing it was going to be a project. Tackled the water soaked floor and saturated foam last month. The gunnels were carpeted from the factory and are now a magnet for mold and moss. Had intended to pull the carpet and strip the glue off so I could put a bedliner style coating on it. After talking to a trusted aluminum boat builder he convinced me to leave them bare metal. Just hit them with a 60 grit sanding disc once all the glue was off. The question I forgot to ask was do I need to put anything in between the bare aluminum and the stuff I mount to it? I have an aluminum radar arch, down riggers, stainless cleats, typical stuff.
alyaz

Re: Bare aluminum gunnels?

Post by alyaz »

Personally, I would use a rigid non absorbing gasket type material between ‘different metals’ when you mount your ‘accessories’. I bought a roll (can’t remember what it is called) of material that is thin but very tough/durable poly. I cut my own gaskets to fit between any dissimilar metals when building solar power racking. I even use those teflon washers when using SS bolts thru aluminum. Probably overkill but I have never had any issues with dissimilar metals reacting to each other.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic